The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Default Back Pain and Mattresses

Have an average amount of back getting sore or stiff in the past but nothing serious.

Did a good amount of yard work last week and played a little kickball with the grand kids over Easter which is a little beyond my means I hate to say.

Yesterday morning could not get out of bed, just really unable to stand up without severe pain right in the middle lower back area. Had to grab everything I could for support on the short trip to the bathroom all day long. Out of work yesterday and today while doing about 50% better today.

So I chalk this up to the old "my back is out" as many people put it and hope to be back at work tomorrow while on a repeat dose of Meloxicam that worked well last time.

So the question this time is - what have you done to your mattress or pillows to help with proper back support while sleeping? We used to put a piece of plywood under the mattress for mom and dad's bed years ago. Has anyone replaced a mattress with success because of these issues?

Thanks
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post

So the question this time is - what have you done to your mattress or pillows to help with proper back support while sleeping? We used to put a piece of plywood under the mattress for mom and dad's bed years ago. Has anyone replaced a mattress with success because of these issues?

Thanks
I look to pillows as the first solution to back pain that develops during sleep.

too plump a rise for my head puts an angle on my neck that travels into my back in a really unpleasant manner that wakes me up mid way through the night.

it will happen when i fall asleep reading while leaning on a pile of plumped pillows; i slump down but not fully reclined and there the problem begins.

As to the sheet of plywood for firming the mattress - yep ! have done it many times in the past to revive an old sinker.

Last mattress I bought a few years ago, I spent over an hour in the store, on two separate occasions, with a book, trying out beds and pillow before I bought one. I chose the firmest but most comfy one on the floor. forget the brand , but did spend $1700 on it and expect it to last 20 years.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 AM

Sleep Number bed.

I originally got mine 12 years ago when my back was broken in two places, but even before then I would have low back pain when I woke up. The Sleep Number bed took care of all that. It helps even more these days because I have pretty bad arthritis in my right hip.

Sleep Number, also known as Select Comfort.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.

Last edited by flaggerphil; 04-19-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 AM
G625 mistral-k

I switched to a Tempurpedic (the model is the 2nd or 3rd firmest they make) mattress and it definitely helped, however the real key has been my doing back stretches and strengthening every morning. It took more than six weeks before I had measurable results. However the combination of the two has really made a huge difference. Just know, the mattress you sleep on is just one component however it is not a magic bullet.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 AM

Three questions:

1: how old is your mattress?
2: how firm is your core (abdominal muscles?)
3: when you lift things, do you know your limits/proper technique?
4: have you seen a chiropractor?

My point is don't look for a quick fix because it ain't there. OTOH I'd be exhausting all options before going under the knife.

I'm 47. I've thrown my back out several times picking up my amplifier and kids. I've also made it a bad habit of sleeping on the floor or in mattresses that are meant for kids as well as an 18 year old pillow top queen size mattress. My middle is flabby and I'm hauling around an extra 30lb on my frame. I know that I need to do leg raises and planks and get a new mattress. The amp is getting caster wheels and I'll just stand and let the kids lie until they get bored of kicking and screaming while waiting for me to pick them up.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:03 PM

I got a 3-inch memory foam topper from Amazon.

It will take about 2-3 days to get used to it, but I absolutely love it! I've had it for years, and it was a MUCH cheaper option than buying an expensive mattress.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:06 PM

Sleeping on my side with a pillow between my knees has helped me. And sit-ups. Lots of sit-ups.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Sleep Number bed.
This........
Old 04-19-2017, 12:35 PM

start doing exercises for the back to make it stronger. i've had sciatica back problems for 12 years. once i learned to do exercises and proper lifting, i only have had further problems when i get stupid and do some lifting i shouldn't. do a google search.

other than the above, ice and heat. try to stay away from any medications as they may prolong rather than help.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-19-2017, 12:40 PM

Several things to consider here.
A firmer mattress will help. A mattress that gives too much will exacerbate lower back issues. There are many exercises you can do to strengthen those muscles and proper stretches will also help.
If there is a fitness club nearby, there is a Nautilus machine that was designed specifically to help you strengthen your lower back muscles. It is safe and very effective. I have been using it at our local YMCA for a couple of weeks and it has helped me.
You can also do "planks". Google "plank exercises for back muscles". This is a simple exercise you can do every day at home and it strengthens your core muscles including back and abdominal. A fitness instructor with back issues of his own recommended them to me. If all you can do is planks, they will help enormously. Do them every day. Start out with 15-30 seconds or whatever you can hold the position for and work your way up to two minutes and beyond. You will feel them in your abs and the inner muscles next to your spine.Good luck.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 04-19-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:28 AM

Until about two months ago, I'd experienced more than a decade of chronic and sometimes severe back pain. If I "slept wrong" on any given night, I paid for it in spades the next day. It was always worst in the lumbar area, with the mid-back a close second. I'd had maybe two pain free weeks in the preceding ten years. Not fun.

I simply assumed that the problems I experienced were part of the price of aging (I'm 66) after a lifetime in gyms and dojos. So I did the pillow thing -- tried 'em all -- and settled on a quality down pillow for my head, and more robust conventional people for either under my knees when I was on my back, or between my knees when I was on my side. That definitely helped me sleep better, with reduced pain during the night. I also tried chiropractic (always helped temporarily), traction, chemical infiltration, etc.

Unfortunately, my back got progressively worse over the last year or so, and a few months back, it became almost intolerable. My supposed aging back problems were getting out of hand. I live in Italy, and a friend recommended a neurosurgeon in Rome who ran a clinic devoted to folks with back pain, spinal problems, etc.

Long story now shortened: on February 10, the doc installed flexible, spaced titanium braces in my lumbar spine, screwed directly into the vertebrae, from L1 - L5 inclusive. That whole area was very unstable, and a couple of the discs were completely consumed. I apparently also have a bit of an issue in the upper spine (to be addressed in future as it's far less serious), and a healed but major fracture at L2 that I've apparently been trotting around with for more than forty years. That one is now stable -- no work required.

I'm now in the midst of physio, but it's been a night and day thing, and the only pain I feel is associated with the physio and the healing process. I've dumped my cane, and I'm walking daily -- kind of enjoying the resulting discomfort from muscles that are getting used again.

The moral of this overly long story: if your problem persists or suddenly worsens, don't assume that your back simply "goes out" periodically or temporarily because you're aging or paying for an active youth. Get some meaningful diagnostics before you're old enough that your recuperative abilities become an issue in terms of whatever fix might be available.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
I look to pillows as the first solution to back pain that develops during sleep.

too plump a rise for my head puts an angle on my neck that travels into my back in a really unpleasant manner that wakes me up mid way through the night.
Amy we have discovered the same thing. Last year, along with a new mattress (Serta Gel), we purchased Serta I pillows. These pillows give good support to the head ad yet are soft enough to let your head sink in. We have taken the pillows on vacations several times now and with different mattresses, achieve the same restful sleep that we do at home. Another point of interest is that with the supportive pillows, my snoring has greatly lessened - this makes a lot of sense when you realize that with a straight(er) spine, the airway will be more open.

best,

Rick
Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 AM

I've had chronic back issues for about 30 years. While I believe it's important to have sufficient support from a mattress to mitigate back related problems associated with sleep positioning and to avoid things like sleeping on one's stomach I advocate strengthening and stretching exercises as the best way to prevent back trouble. Also weight loss for those who are significantly overweight can make a big difference.

Three years ago I started a daily routine of these stretching exercises and situps. Since that time my "chronic" back problems have disappeared.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 AM

Exercise & a new mattress.

I see I'm doomed to have more and more of the same problems my mother and others have with back and arthritis but am in the split or side of sibling and relatives that work at moving more than complaining or think a pill will solve it all. In the group either side of age 60 working to wear same size pants we did in high school and not have our butts disappear. It really helps.

Twice I've been stupid to not replace a mattress when we should have. Recently we shopped, tries stuff and became suspicious of prices and hype seeing mattresses sold so many places an so expensive. We took a gamble and got the Novaform COSTCO sells that's top rated with Consumer Reports and in other reviews. All the positive reviews are right. Consider yourself an idiot or a mattress store welfare agent to go spend more.

Our old mattress rated tops then didn't seem that bad. Crazy thing is the first morning with new mattress had achy shoulders and hips gone. What I thought was more age problems was solved by the new style of mattress with gel foam on top. You can get spring type or all foam with that gel foam on top.

Nothing truly solves my back pain for long, and it can be near constant but keeping at exercise and activity just makes it all better. The strength makes it better. The activity makes the mind feel better an work better. Push on and keep the activity regardless of mattress choice.

As silly as it might sound, our family Apple Watch competition helps. I was active before we got the watches but they added little bits of push and effort. If my activity is not at 100% I'll go do another walk or bike ride in the evening.

Also keep a good attitude even if it's hard. We're nearly two years of cancer and complications in this house. My wife had surgery again yesterday and problems. She pushes on in an amazing way. At the hospital last night I saw how right my grandmother was about "someone always has it worse". Sure I'll wine, be unhappy and I have poor sleep but putting on a smile and getting at life helps the back pain.

Now go buy a mattress and consider our discovery - you don't have to spend so much and keep your body busy!

Good luck.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:29 AM

This is straight from my doctors' "If you are going to sit, sit, If you are going to lay down, lay down, NO recliners, too much pressure on the lower spine." I also went with one of those foam type mattress, best thing I ever did. I listened to them and reduced my sciatic pain quite a bit by following these suggestions. Oh yes, the pillow btw the legs on the side helps lots too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic