The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 04-11-2017, 06:23 AM

Default Seeing Pierce Pettis in friend's Living room

Kelly Lane (who traveled two times a month for 5 years to Rugby VA to learn to build guitars from Wayne Henderson) an excellent luthier in his own right, is hosting Pierce Pettis at Kelly's home for an intimate living room concert. Only heard him one other time. Am looking forward to this venue and event. Any other PP fans out there ?

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 04-17-2017, 10:48 AM

Default Great show !!!

I guess I'll start with the whole concept of a living room concert. Wouldn't want to see AC/DC at such a venue, but it doesn't get any better for a solo acoustic performance. Pierce was set up in what would typically be a dinning room adjoining a living room and the audience (all 10 of us) were literally sitting in the living room on the living room furniture. I was last to arrive so I sat in "front", inches from Pierce. A sound system was also present which was a surprise given room size, but it simply lead to a recording quality performance sound rather than LOUDNESS.

This was my second exposure to Pierce Pettis. His voice quality is uniquely his own, but has a slightly gravelly quality we associate with many singer song writers such as Dylan (PP's was less nasal) or Tom Waits (PP's was less gravelly).

His guitars included a Larivee, and two Breedloves (one a tenor). His playing style was unique; wearing a plastic thumb pick and steel finger picks on the next two adjacent fingers on his right hand and when anchored to the sound board did so with his pinky finger and the one next to it. Much of his strumming, however, involved his hand floating above the strings and on the down stroke, he'd twist his wrist (toward his body) so his thumb would come down on bass strings at the same time his that his other pick covered fingers hit higher noted strings on the down stroke, up stroke or both.

Songs: Folky Americana oft with a religious flavor (without being overbearing or preachy). Incredible stories and imagery painted with words and notes. He gave the background behind most of his songs in a personable and entertaining way, and then performed with soul and passion.

So many of his lyrics evoked powerful images and thoughts, but there was one that stuck with me at the end of the night, as despite it (the imagery) being used by a variety of artist (N. Young immediately came to mind), it still rang powerful on so many levels than just love (as used by Neil). Think about it !

OH TO REACH FOR THE ROSES, WE MUST FEEL THE THORNS AS WELL. (Pierce Pettis, "Georgia Moon")

Thanks !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

Last edited by psychojohn; 04-18-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:57 PM

I envy you. I've seen PP a few times but it's been about four years since the last time. Interesting that he's playing those guitars. For a long time he only played Ovations, last time he was playing a Lowden. A great guitar player. I knew he used fingerpicks but hadn't thought much about his unusual style until you mentioned it.

Every time I listen to Georgia Moon I think it should have been a huge hit.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Love Pierce Pettis. First saw him at the Folks Festival in Lyons right after Chase the Buffalo came out. Then a few years later at a house concert. Great songwriter and guitar player ... and a true gentleman.

You are in for a real treat.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 04-17-2017, 04:56 PM

Huge Pierce fan. I think he's an excellent guitarist and an even better writer. I'm sure ready for a new recording soon. A house concert would be a great venue to hear him, although I think his talent deserves a much bigger venue. Doesn't always work that way though.

David
Old 04-18-2017, 12:43 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses. His writing/lyrics were exceptional and I felt blessed to see him in such a venue. I too was amazed that his name is not bigger in the music industry. On the other hand, a lack of big time fame seems to go along with the troubadour style of performing and this seems in line with what he does. Will be seeing him again !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 04-19-2017, 02:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

John,
I'm quite jealous of you. I became a Pierce Pettis fan back when he was briefly on the same label as one of my faves - Harrod and Funck. His album Making Light of It is still one of my favorite listens though I can listen to any of his works with pleasure. I have had Jason Harrod down for house concerts several times and have fantasized about getting Pierce to play locally too. This might make me save the dollars to make it happen.

So jealous.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 04-19-2017, 05:09 PM

Another PP fan here. I don't play out very often but I love to cover an old Pettis' song, Legacy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases