The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 03-08-2017, 02:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Edwinson EZ/F Zephyr 00 Florentine, Multiscale! Price drop!

Here is a very nice Edwinson EZ/F Zephyr 00 Florentine (Multiscale) up for adoption to a good home, at a steeply reduced price, with full warranty. This guitar specs out to $6125 USD; but I am offering it for $4600, case and shipping included (continental USA). That's $1525 less than list price. I doubt there will ever be another new Edwinson guitar offered at this low price.

EDIT, April 20: I am dropping the price on the Zephyr Rojo guitar to $4300; all else is the same- full warranty, and one way shipping included. Thanks!

I built this guitar on spec, in 2015, to display at the Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival. At the time, I was working on four other guitars simultaneously, racing against the clock to get them all done in time for the show. It got pretty intense there, right before the show... And to be honest, this Zephyr needed a little more detailing to be fully ready for prime time.

It sounded great, and had a very supple, easy feel right from the start; but I needed to make another, more accurate nut and saddle, and do some more buffing and polishing, and really get it dialed in all the way.

Well, you know how it goes- life gets in the way... And this sweet little guitar was stowed away, out of sight, out of mind, for many months, while I attended to the next few commissioned builds. I almost forgot I had this guitar...

And then a couple weeks ago, while getting ready to move to a new home and workshop, I pulled this guitar out of the closet, tuned it up, and gave it a test drive.

I was blown away by how good it sounds. Well, not surprised, but delighted by the great tone and response... Even though it probably only has a couple hours of playing time on it, total, it still sounds like a played-in, mature instrument, with a nice vintage 00 vibe, great sustain and overtone content, plenty of volume and projection, and a unique voice, owing to the combination of the Red Cedar top and the wildly figured Padouk back and sides. The response is very even from low to mid to high, with no dead spots or wolf tones anywhere. The playing feel is very supple and easy on the hands.

I decided that I would spend a couple days getting all the details worked out. And now, after all that time, I have this brand-new Zephyr, ready to go out and make its fortune in the world.

Being a short-multiscale (25"-25.5"), this guitar responds very well with standard tuning, or open tunings. I put a set of light/medium D'Addario strings on it last week, and tuned down to CGCGCE... and it sounds lush and huge! It's a lot of fun to play, however you tune it.

This EZ/F Zephyr 00 Multiscale specs out to $6125 USD, but I decided to offer it at a steeply reduced price to AGF members. I am moving home and shop this month, and I am hoping to earn some extra $$$ to help defray the costs involved in moving a couple tons of machinery, wood, furniture, etc.

With full, new guitar warranty, I'm asking $4600 for this guitar, with case, including shipping in the USA.

Update, April 20: Price is now reduced to $4300!

Here are the pertinent specifications for this Zephyr 00, which I have named the "Zephyr Rojo":

The woods: Back and sides, center neck lam, and rear headstock plate are dramatically figured African Padouk (aka Padauk), which has a strong rosewood vibe, giving the guitar great focus and projection;
The top is very silky, AAA-grade Western Red Cedar from British Columbia; The neck is American Black Walnut, with Maple/Padouk/Maple center laminations; The bindings and bevel trim throughout are Ziricote; The fingerboard, front headstock plate, and bridge are Pau Ferro (aka Bolivian Rosewood). Highly flamed Pyinma wood purflings throughout, including fingerboard and headstock. The back sports a tapered Ziricote center inlay with flamed Pyinma edges.

The rosette is my "Crown of Thorns" design, with 128 separate pieces- Padouk, Ebony, Flamed Pyinma, with black and white veneer lines.

This is a 00-size guitar, 14 1/4" wide in the lower bout. Small, but powerful!
Scale spread: 25"- 25.5", with fret # 8 perpendicular.
Thirteen frets-to-body, twenty frets total;
Nut width is 1 3/4"; String spread @ saddle is 2 1/4"; Fingerboard radius is 16". Frets are Evo gold, medium.
The neck incorporates a Luthiers Mercantile TRSD two way adjustable truss rod, access through sound hole.
My signature "Constellation" inlay, copper and various shell dots, embellish the headstock, heel cap, and guitar back.
The neck is a medium/slim C carve, very comfortable shape.
Bridge pins are Ebony, with the "Parisian Eye", brass and MOP inlaid.
Tuners are Gotoh 510 mini, 18:1 ratio, Cosmo Black finish.
Ryan-style arm bevel; Lower bout Tri-port sound ports;

The case included is a Guardian brand, CG-044-00 vintage style case with five-ply wood construction, arched top, covered in black Tolex, with brass hardware, and well-padded, green crushed velvet interior.

As always, potential buyers will have a risk-free trial period with the guitar, to decide if it is a perfect fit, before committing the $$$. I know it's a giant leap of faith to buy a guitar you've never held or played, so you can have a few days to try it out. I will pay for shipping to you in the continental US; if you decide to return the guitar, return shipping is on your dime.

To reiterate: This guitar was built in 2015, but is in brand new condition, with only a couple hours of playing time on it total, and comes with my full new guitar warranty. I am offering it for sale for $4600 USD to AGFers, which is a $1525 discount from list price. I will consider reasonable offers as well (especially higher offers!

Update, April 20: Price is now reduced another $300, to $4300!

If you are interested, I can send some iPhone recordings to you, which will hopefully give you a decent idea of this guitar's tonal range. I'm using a Zoom IQ6 stereo microphone on my iPhone, which is a lot better than the phone's built-in mic; but still pretty limited capability. I would love to be able to provide some high-def, professional recordings, but I'm pretty isolated here, and have to make do with limited resources. But even so, I think you'll be impressed by the quality of sound this Zephyr puts out.

If this guitar rings your bell, and you want more information, or would like to arrange a try-out, you can send me a PM through the AGF here, or email at [email protected]. My cell phone # is (206) 271 8743. Please leave a short message if I don't pick up, and I will call you back as quickly as possible. I do screen my calls, due to relentless phone solicitors trying to sell me stuff I don't need...

Thanks for looking, and I hope you find the perfect guitar you've been searching for. Maybe, this awesome Zephyr 00...?

Last edited by theEdwinson; 04-20-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:40 PM

Beautiful guitar, Fantastic builder, even more fantastic human being. This price is also incredible. Good luck with the sale Steve and congrats to the person lucky enough to purchase this guitar!!!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:39 AM

Wow another incredible work of art , beautiful. Your choice of woods and attention to detail continue to amaze me. Sent you an email.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Beautiful Zephyr

Gorgeous. I want. Spouse thinks I have a problem.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Gorgeous. I want. Spouse thinks I have a problem.
The remedy for that is to do something incredibly sweet for your spouse! There is nothing better in life than for everyone to be as happy and fulfilled as possible.
This, coming from a single guy!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:04 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I wish I could buy this. Alas, my house renovation is turning into a "House Hunters" disaster. . GLWS!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Christmas zephyr

Curious: is your original Christmas Zephyr that is shown on your website still for sale?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Curious: is your original Christmas Zephyr that is shown on your website still for sale?
Hi, Jamiejoon,
No, the Christmas Zephyr has been sold, and is currently living in Vancouver, B.C.
Apologies for my website, which is way overdue for updates. I built the site with Apple's iWeb software, which they stopped supporting in 2009; and last time I tried to publish updates, the new stuff kind of went ka-blooey, with the wrong fonts and layout. I had to revert back to the archived version of the site for the time being.
Very close to the top of my to-do list is putting together an all-new site, and I am currently looking into website building apps that are simple enough for a monkey to use. I am not exactly a "digital native", so I have to find something that is very user friendly, but versatile enough to build a serious website... Stay tuned! And thanks for asking!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ever since I brought the Zephyr Rojo back out into the light again, I have been playing it every day, and really enjoying the experience. It's a pretty sweet guitar. I've mostly been keeping it tuned down to CGCGCD (C sus 2?) CGCGCEb (C minor) and CGCGCE (C major). It really sounds great in that range, and I think just having more playing time on it, this guitar is really coming into its own unique voice. It's always amazing the way guitars develop their own personalities, the more they're played.

I've had some serious inquiries, and I don't think it'll be much longer before this guitar finds a happy home. Feel free to make an offer!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I wish I could buy this. Alas, my house renovation is turning into a "House Hunters" disaster. . GLWS!
I feel ya, Matt! I'm in the process of packing up all my stuff, and moving home and workshop 260 miles south. I can't believe how much stuff I've accumulated. I feel like Sysyphus, rolling that boulder up the mountain every day, only to have it roll back down...
Just take it one step at a time, and pretty soon, you will have moved the mountain! Best of luck with your renovations!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

The Padouk back and sides that I made this guitar with was sourced from Cook Woods in Klamath Falls, OR, in 2013. They were calling it "Bacon figure", which is a pretty accurate way to describe it. It is quite rare to find Padouk with wild figure like this. I was so smitten by it, I bought enough lumber to build ten guitars. Every board I got is spectacularly figured, and all of it is quartersawn, or quarter/rift. Perfect instrument wood!

Cook Woods is my go-to source for a LOT of instrument grade woods. For a wood-hound like me, their website is like a visit to Paradise.

If you are unfamiliar with Padouk, I would say it definitely leans to the Rosewood side of the tonal spectrum; it has a glassy, sustaining tap tone with a lively feel; and it has working properties very similar to Indian Rosewood. It is very porous, and requires three or four pore-filling applications in the finishing, but otherwise, I found it pleasant to work with. I'm looking forward to making more guitars with this spectacular wood.

By the way, I should clarify my nomenclature here. I refer to several of my guitars as "Rojo". That's Spanish for "Red", so I use it as a nickname for guitars that have a predominantly red color theme. Likewise, I often call guitars with dark woods "Noir". A Maple/Spruce guitar would be a "Blanca"...and so on.
A few years back, I made a black Ebony guitar that I named "Schwartz". German for "Black".
I'm weird that way.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:51 AM

A bump for this guitar.
I recently purchased one of Steve's masterpieces, and I can tell you that tonally it is versatile and amazing, and the ergonomics and playability are second to none. And on top of all of that , the guitar is a work of art, you can see the craftsmanship , quality, and dedication that go into his instruments, and Steve is a wonderful person to talk to and work with. At some point once I've had my guitar for a while I will post my full impressions , but at this point I'm elated with this purchase!!
Someone is going to get an amazing guitar here for a really great price!
Old 04-15-2017, 11:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

I recently re-strung the Zephyr Rojo with a set of D'Addario NB Nickel Bronze strings, which D'Addario just recently introduced in their acoustic guitar strings lineup. I'm very impressed with these strings- they have a great immediacy of response, and seem to bring more overtone content to the midrange and low end. I'm using regular light gauge (.012- .053), and tuning down to DADGAD, DADF#AD, and even down to a couple of my favorite C tunings- CGCGCD and CGCGCE... This guitar sounds great down there! Very balanced tone across the spectrum, and with the 25- 25.5" multiscale, and a low, fast setup, no buzzing. I'm psyched! If no one buys this guitar for awhile, no problem! I'll keep playing it every day, and keep enjoying the heck out of it!

That said, I have a huge amount of work to do, and I don't need the distraction of having this guitar ever-ready for a noodle session. So I've decided to drop the asking price to $4300
So, that's another $300 off the already steep discount. Still available for a risk-free try-out, and still with full warranty.
Thanks for looking!
Old 04-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Musical minimalist

Gorgeous instrument - and amazing new price!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace