The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Blueridge or Eastman or Recording King
Blueridge 81 23.55%
Eastman 211 61.34%
Recording King 52 15.12%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2012, 01:25 AM

I've tried all three and think they all put out quality guitars but the Eastman is the only one I own (E10) so it gets my vote.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:34 AM

I find this poll a bit silly as Eastman is miles ahead in terms of quality and value for money than the other. As the poll seems to testify ..
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 01-04-2012, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

i didn't vote, because if i'd have chosen blueridge AND eastman, recording king coming up third but i still think highly of their guitars, and i like that they came out with excellent value entry level-priced all solid dreads and 000's.

i own a blueridge, and i find its tone to be exactly what i'd want it to be, and it has no finish or other issues. due to often visiting a store that has stocked a lot of eastmans, i've seen enough eastmans to see some with minor issues, just like other guitar brands in their price range. i think eastmans are fine guitars, and i often recommend them, but i love the tone of the blueridges, too - a bit more traditional, to my ear. more of the eastmans seems to have a wider nut, though, which i find a plus.

since the question wasn't which guitars do we like better but which company, i'm wondering how many people here have dealt with eastman support, 'cause i haven't yet sent them a question. i have heard from the blueridge folks over and over, with answers no matter how silly my questions were, and support from recording king (the music link) went the extra mile to give me info they didn't have at their fingertips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
I find this poll a bit silly as Eastman is miles ahead in terms of quality and value for money than the other. As the poll seems to testify ..
Old 01-04-2012, 05:50 AM

What about Silver Creek? Aren't they a very similar brand? In fact I'm led to believe they are made in the same factory as Blueridge.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 01-04-2012, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

i've heard that several brands of guitars are made in the same factory as silver creek. being made in the same factory doesn't mean the same quality, designs, hardware or standards - in at least some cases, the guitar companies supply the factories with their own designs and hardware or hardware specs. silver creek does not offer even half the models that blueridge does - they don't offer a parlor, among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
What about Silver Creek? Aren't they a very similar brand? In fact I'm led to believe they are made in the same factory as Blueridge.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:29 AM

I would be interested in the number (ratio) of guitars that are returned because of issues. It would be great to see which company treats their customers the best. I don't have any experience on this. I do know on another guitar forum Recording King replaced a guitar a ROS-626 (12 fret 000) that had a bridge that pulled. As far as sound goes, The E10D-20D Eastmans will be hard to beat, however I doubt you would be able to see a big difference between the RK's - RD-316/327. I just wish RK made an Adi top OM series to compare. The Eastman OM Adi's are holding their own.

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

All but a couple of the maybe 12 blueridges ive owned were flawlessly executed, and the flawed ones were very early on, almost ten years ago. Eastmans are great but still a higher percentage of flaws as they work it out. Eastman are most boutique-ish because they are handmade. That's also why they are still a little more inconsistent than blueridge in my experience. But they are fabulous guitars. Honestly a poll like this is way too simplistic to mean much for anyone trying to figure out these brands, all of which have many people pickin and grinnin. What do i own of the 3? Blueridge. Their 1 3/4 neck profile is perfect for me...

Last edited by sublro; 01-04-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:07 AM

Aren't Recording Kings and Blueridge made by the same people?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
No, Blueridge is made by Saga Music and RK by the Music Link. The confusion comes from the fact that Greg Rich was involved in design and development of both those lines.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcowles@comcas View Post
No, Blueridge is made by Saga Music and RK by the Music Link. The confusion comes from the fact that Greg Rich was involved in design and development of both those lines.
Are they the actual manufacturer or the importer?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

have you seen a lot of blueridges and recording kings? they're not similar in a number of ways including design, construction, finish and parts.

Quote:
Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
i've heard that several brands of guitars are made in the same factory as silver creek. being made in the same factory doesn't mean the same quality, designs, hardware or standards - in at least some cases, the guitar companies supply the factories with their own designs and hardware or hardware specs. silver creek does not offer even half the models that blueridge does - they don't offer a parlor, among other things.
Well, how many guitar models they make didn't seem to be part of the OP's question, "which one is your favourite company?". My angle was simply that like the others in the poll, Silver Creek are Chinese manufactured instruments, based largely on Martin models and with a quality slant. I was merely posing the question that they too should be in the poll, as I'm led to believe from posts on here, that Silver Creek are of a very similar genre to the other three - based on what I just said. But you don't seem to think that they do based on their limited range, and an inference regarding (poorer?) quality. Makes no difference to me personally, I don't own any of them, nor am I likely too, just interested in the poll and the brands concerned.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
have you seen a lot of blueridges and recording kings? they're not similar in a number of ways including design, construction, finish and parts.
I understand the designs are different, but many of the factories in China are building to an importers spec. The Blueridge brand, as an example, has been built in at least 3 countries and my understanding was that the actual manufacturing facilities were not owned by Saga, they were contracted to build to their spec.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Can happen as the garment and toys imported from China.

Last edited by mrkpower; 01-04-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:54 PM

I can't respond to the poll; I have a fair amount of experience (all good) with Eastman, but none with Blueridge or RK. I have not required service on my Eastmans, but I had a few questions. I received emailed responses from both an Eastman Service representative and the Eastman dealer within hours of submitting questions. Both stuck me as being very attentive to customer needs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion