The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 01:23 PM

Default A Great Eric Andersen concert with bonus Joni Mitchell Sighting

Last night at McCabes in Santa Monica, Eric Andersen played a rousing and often moving three plus hour concert. Eric was joined by three other musicians including his wife Inga, who had just flown in from London on backing vocals. The band consisted of the amazing Scarlet Rivera on violin, the very tasteful Steve Postell on guitar and band comedienne Cheryl Prashker on percussion. He played a complete range of material...plenty of new stuff from his Lord Byron project and classics encoring with 'Thirsty Boots" of course. He seemed to really loosen up throughout the set and look to be having as much fun at the end as the audience. He had plenty of paper shuffling going on between songs as the challenge of remembering his dense lyrics was too daunting. Things really improved when he decided to succumb to putting on his reading glasses, believe me, everyone in the audience could relate to that! He seemed to enjoy changing up the song structures on the fly and his very capable band could shift on a dime with him.
Joni came out to see her old friend and tried to stay out of the limelight. Eric actually told everyone that she was there and dedicated "Blue River" to her from the piano. He then told a funny story about how listening to Ladies of the Canyon got him through a period of writers block. I thought Joni might leave at intermission but she stayed for the second half, probably to check out a block of the new Lord Byron material but quietly left before the encore.
Yes, it's true. Traffic is horrible here but sometimes things happen that make it really special to be here in LA.
Keb Mo 00, J-35 Collectors Edition, 12-Fret AJ,
Some Taylors, 612-CE 12 Fret, Custom 12-Fret Walnut, 814CE, Custom 2015 Engleman over Ovangkol GA,752ce LTD 12x12
Rainsong C1100-NS, Recording King RP 626 Schoenberg

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-23-2017 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Sp...
Old 04-22-2017, 02:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'll bet it was a great show! I toured & recorded with Eric Andersen (Be True To You on Arista) in 1974-5. He's a good man who's dealt with his share of demons, but he's really a talented singer/songwriter, a folk music legend.

Eric actually took me to Joni's '20's Tudor style house in west Bel aire, and she served me chamomile tea!
A real Joni moment. It's wonderful that she's powering past her stroke!
HE
Old 04-22-2017, 02:44 PM

Wonderful news that Joni is out and about now.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-22-2017, 03:19 PM

I have been around a few celebs but I have to say Ms. Mitchell is one that would have me starstruck and stuttering. A true music goddess. One of the greats of my lifetime. Oh wait, this was about Eric Anderson. Sorry.

hunter
Old 04-22-2017, 05:00 PM

Eric Andersen is one of my favourite ever songwriters, easily the equal of his more well known Greenwich counterparts. I have only had the chance to see him once, but he gave me permission to film the show too, so I have a lasting souvenir. Last UK tour they cancelled my local show the day before for low ticket sales, which was a real pain as I could have made one of the other shows, but they'd already been.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

I envy you. I've been rediscovering playing and listening to Eric Andersen lately. Love The Hustler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQx9aN_6WOc....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 04-22-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
I have been around a few celebs but I have to say Ms. Mitchell is one that would have me starstruck and stuttering. A true music goddess. One of the greats of my lifetime. Oh wait, this was about Eric Anderson. Sorry.

hunter
Hunter,
You're forgiven.
By the way the name is 'Andersen' with an 'e'.

She was very down to earth when I met her, and when she asked me "So Howard have you been taking care of Eric?", I should have realized I was but one in a long line.
Needless to say it was a little overwhelming sitting in her kitchen...
HE
Old 04-22-2017, 07:38 PM

Howard, thanks for the heads up on the miss-spell. I fixed it in the text, but I don't know how to fix the title. We have tried to catch everyone coming to town lately as Father Time marches on. We saw Tom Paxton at McCabes about a month ago. He was great as well. Paul Stookey got up and sang "Rambling Boy" with him as the encore. And I almost can't believe it, but J.D. Souther is going to play the McCabes back room in July Like I said, the traffic sucks, but......
Some Taylors, 612-CE 12 Fret, Custom 12-Fret Walnut, 814CE, Custom 2015 Engleman over Ovangkol GA,752ce LTD 12x12

Last edited by Rip VanWinkle; 04-23-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Rip,
If it's the guy from P,P&M it's Paul Stookey.

Yes, it's that time where the sun is setting on some great ones all too often.
HE
Old 04-23-2017, 10:12 AM

Thanks again, Howard....fixed that one. Here's hoping the first two are free...and now I'd better go online and check these things first LOL.
Oh, and to whomever fixed the title for me....Merci beaucoup.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VanWinkle View Post
Oh, and to whomever fixed the title for me....Merci beaucoup.
Je t'en prie.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Great to see that EA is still performing. It made me go get a couple of his songs from Amazon Music to listen to this afternoon in my truck. Really, really great to see that Joni Mitchell is out and about again.

And very cool that Scarlet Rivera is playing with Eric Andersen. I've been intrigued by her since I saw her in the opening night of the Rolling Thunder Review.

Thank's for the post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion