The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-19-2017, 03:21 PM
G625 mistral-k

Default Business Scams...

I recently took a buyout offer from my employer and wanted the ability to perform some consulting work, so I formed an LLC in the State of Florida approximately ten days ago. I completed the process on line at the State of Florida website and it was quite easy.

Since forming the LLC, I have received two mailings in the past 5 days which appear as very official forms, as though from a government agency. One was from the Certificate Filing Service requesting a $68.42 and another is from the Labor Compliance Department requesting $84.00. The $68.42 is just one of those amounts you figure just might be charged by an official state agency. I thought it was curious that I received a request for $68.42 and upon closer inspection of the form and with a a quick search on the internet, I learned this is a ruse and so is the request for the Labor Compliance Department.

I suppose I am surprised (but not shocked), that the state officials permit these firms to exist. There are plenty of stories of individuals who have paid the fees only to find out these firms have no affiliation with the state of Florida and they were not required to pay them at all. Many have fallen for the ruse of an official government looking form. I just wanted to share with AGF members so other can be aware of these types of scams.

Oh, I am sure additional mailings will soon arrive

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 04-19-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Business Scams...

Welcome to business spam.
Phone calls are next .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Ah. That sounds familiar. When I worked for a small business in the 70s, every month I'd get invoices for small amounts (always under 100 bucks).

But they weren't from any company we had business with. I asked around--turns out that it was a fairly common scam.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 04-20-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
I suppose I am surprised (but not shocked), that the state officials permit these firms to exist.
Do you really think these 'businesses' are state-licensed? Business registrations are available for public view, that's how they find you.
In my town, you have to get a permit to install a swimming pool. The people who owned the house before me (I've had it for 23 years) had a pool, I pulled it down within 2 years of buying the house - I still get mailings from pool supply stores.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-20-2017, 07:42 AM

Sadly - we see it happen all the time. Always keep a raised eyebrow and be willing to question these fake bills. Sometimes, a State attorney general or consumer counsel will get involved, but seeing as many of these operations are run form PO boxes, they quickly fold up at the first hint of trouble.

But even more troubling are all the real business "fees" (IOW taxes) that small businesses pay!

best,

Rick
Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 PM

Thanks for posting this. I moved to Florida recently and am contemplating an LLC myself. Glad to know the process went smoothly for you. Would you say the costs are comparable to other states?

As a side note, when I purchased my home here I was inundated with offers to provide the title and other related documents,all for a princely sum of course. My mortgage broker told me that this is std practice here. She also told me not to fall for it because she would be sending me everything herself. Free,of course.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
Thanks for posting this. I moved to Florida recently and am contemplating an LLC myself. Glad to know the process went smoothly for you. Would you say the costs are comparable to other states?

As a side note, when I purchased my home here I was inundated with offers to provide the title and other related documents,all for a princely sum of course. My mortgage broker told me that this is std practice here. She also told me not to fall for it because she would be sending me everything herself. Free,of course.
She didn't provide title insurance for free.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
She didn't provide title insurance for free.
Of course not,neither did I imply she did. I was merely pointing out that the documents were provided free of charge,while there are companies who have access to your information charging you for them.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:36 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post

FLRon,

It is relatively easy using the state website http://www.sunbiz.org/ Fees are $160. If you have questions, call the toll free number. They folks who answer are extremely helpful. If all is good, you should receive a confirmation notice back from the state in approximately 48 to 96 hours. Once you have your LLC set up, you need to apply for an EIN (Employer Identification Number) with the IRS. Once you have this, you can open up a bank account. There are annual reporting requirements which are outlined by the state in their correspondence to you. best of luck...BB
Old 04-22-2017, 10:13 AM

amyFB is right—the phone calls are next. Approximately 2/3 of the phone calls and 1/3 of the emails we receive on a daily basis are business spam. Thankfully we're a few miles beyond city limits, so at least the in-person solicitors have a hard time finding us. Good luck!
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic