The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-28-2017, 06:45 PM

More thinners.

Also don't be harsh on yourself.

Guitar building and repairing is not a trade that requires formal training, yet part of our trade is finishing which most people just do, to be a professional spray painter is a 3 yr apprenticeship in my location, and painters still get it wrong, so no formal training and your laying down a nice flat coat is pretty good

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-28-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I sanded my earlier coats flat, then shot a couple of coats using my conventional spray gun. It was quickly apparent that the conventional spray gun layed down a coat without orange peel. I sprayed what I thought was a nice wet coat, but when it dried, it looked more like semi-Gloss than Gloss. It's nice and flat, but not glossy. What happened?
It can be the formulation of the lacquer. And your orange peel issues may (or may not, but I didn't see where you considered it) have to do with the pressure you are spraying at (it's less at your gun than it is at the regulator).

By now you are getting that this is an art. No one can give you the formula; only hints that might help.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

Howard, well put. I realize step by step instructions aren't possible; I am mostly looking for the hints that may help me benefit from those more experienced.

I mentioned earlier that when I switched to my conventional gun, that the lacquer seemed to go in nice and wet, but dried to a semi-gloss finish. I added more thinner with no change; still semi-gloss.

I then shot a coat full strength straight from the can. It was hard to spray because it was thick and my conventional gun doesn't have a larger tip.

So, I'm looking for another hint. Was the semi-gloss look more likely caused by the thinner, or the retarder? The mix I had been using was 50% lacquer, 7% retarder and 43% thinner.

Thanks to all. I'm learning a lot.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 AM

Notwithstanding Mirwa's photo, you'll have to polish the finish to get a perfect gloss look.

i.e. once you perfect your spraying technique you're going to have a whole 'nother learning curve for sanding and polishing technique.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for the guidance.

I've made marked progress.

Most recently, I've been switching back and forth between my HVLP touch up spray gun and my conventional spray gun. It seems that the conventional gun can spray lacquer thinned 15%, but the HVLP requires more thinner. With the 1.5 tip, the HVLP will spray lacquer thinned at 15%, but it seems to require that the fluid control be open a lot to get it to spray and as a result it goes on too heavily inviting sags. Taking a page from Steve's book, I had hoped to spray the building coats with the HVLP and then the final coat with the conventional spray gun for that "off the gun" finish to minimize sanding before polishing. But, it seems counterintuitive to spray the build coats thinned at 25% when spraying the final coat thinned at 15%. I guess I could spray all of the coats using the conventional spray gun, but it does make a lot of overspray.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:24 AM

Yep, overspray is wasted paint.

It really is one of those, tweak as you go process's, I do believe however you are now on the right path, every time you spray you will get better and better.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair