The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How Important Are Other's Opinions On Guitar Purchases?
Absolute. Would never buy a guitar without backup. 1 0.79%
Somewhat. I value opinions to help me make up my mind. 53 42.06%
MEH. I might listen to what they have to say. Maybe. 17 13.49%
Dubious. If you knew my friends, you wouldn't have asked the question. 2 1.59%
Not in a million years. I don't care what others think, It's my money, my decision. 39 30.95%
Close Personal Friends. Yes, but only if they're not idiots. 11 8.73%
Online Forum. Yes! I need consensus! 3 2.38%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2014, 11:08 AM

Default How Important Are Other's Opinions On...

How important to you are other's opinions about a guitar purchase?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Approaching zero.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:11 AM

Not much at all. Kind of like a movie review. I need to see/hear it for myself. After all it is me I am buying for.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM

I would have to say that it depends upon how well you know the person offering the opinion and what credibility one can attribute to that person. As far as I'm concerned, I seek the advice of people I know whose judgment I trust, and not necessarily those who post on internet boards.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM

I'd like to say that its not important to me at all. But, the truth is, we are all influenced in one way or another by others opinions.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 AM

They are a good primer for things to keep an eye out for...reviews are usually packed with good info, things to look out for, things to be aware of and consider, even where/how to shop to an extant.

But to make up MY mind? Meh...
Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Guest 213

Well, the question is sort of ambiguous. Do you mean their opinion on the actual guitar brand/maker/model? The type of guitar (6- vs 12-string vs baritone, etc.)? The amount to spend? I've seen all those categories of questions asked on AGF buy potential buyers.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Well, the question is sort of ambiguous. Do you mean their opinion on the actual guitar brand/maker/model? The type of guitar (6- vs 12-string vs baritone, etc.)? The amount to spend? I've seen all those categories of questions asked on AGF buy potential buyers.
Any and/or all. How important is it to you to get other's opinions before you buy a guitar?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 AM

I certainly take into consideration a guitar manufacturer's reputation and track record for producing a quality product, but other than that I let my own eyes and ears decide what to spend my money on.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 AM

I buy mostly vintage instruments. So I'll run them pat folks to check for internal condition, structural stuff...as well as originality. It's always nice to get a second or third opinion on those issues.

Tonally...I make up my own mind, but I like to see folks like what I'm liking too.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Guest 728

I like to hear about others' experiences with a given model, but ultimately the only experience that matters is my own. Had I listened to the posters who regurgitated the tired old "Taylors have no bass" meme, I never would have found my 416ce, one of the most balanced guitars I've ever owned. The problem is that the opinions tend to be polarized: a given guitar is either total junk or the best thing ever made, but seldom anything in between.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:43 AM

How important to you is it to learn how important others' opinions of guitars are to us?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 AM

The opinions of members here is very important to me as my small budget and lack of experience requires allot of research before putting any money down.
I must have read a thousand posts on the GS Mini before I bought one.
I have no friends that play to offer advice.
Other online reviews are taken with a grain of salt.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martind42 View Post
Any and/or all. How important is it to you to get other's opinions before you buy a guitar?
Then I can't vote in the poll because the answers are different for each question But I'll write an answer. Others opinions on the brand/make/model - definitely interested in others' opinions. The type of guitar -not so much. The amount to spend - not at all.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:57 AM

When someone criticizes my guitar, it stings. It may an irrational, feeling sort of thing, but I don't like seeing others say my guitar has some fatal flaw I never knew existed!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion