The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-22-2018, 12:12 PM

Default Lanikai Ukes

I am new to the uke, having played the guitar for many years and the mandolin lately. I bought a Lanikai tenor uke on a MF Stupid Deal. It's an all-solid acacia body and top, with a synthetic bone nut and saddle and nice open Gotoh tuners. Looks to be a first class instrument within the mid-range world of ukes. My research tells me this is a fairly new company of about 20 years, building instruments from the low end to the upper mid-range in terms of price and quality. Anyone else out there know more than I?
Old 01-23-2018, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Lanikai

As a Hawaii resident, one becomes very familiar with the ukulele - either listening to or playing one. I am both - with a passion.
From my experience, Lanikai is a decent uke. As with all wood instruments, each uke (same model, same wood combination) differs in feel and tone.
In the hierarchy of ukuleles, Lanikai falls into the middle - nothing great but nothing bad. They are equal to the Kala brand, but above brands such as Kohala, Makala, etc. Other than boutique luthier brands, Kamaka, Kanilea and Koaloha are on the top rung.
For a beginner, Lanikai is appropriate. For an experienced player, not-so-much.
In my experience, they lack tone. One would have to A/B to appreciate the difference.
Just my most humble opinion.....
Old 01-24-2018, 11:51 AM

Where would you rate the ukes built by known guitar makers : Fender, gretsch, Washburn, Córdoba, Mitchell, etc?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL1968 View Post
Where would you rate the ukes built by known guitar makers : Fender, gretsch, Washburn, Córdoba, Mitchell, etc?
I think that Martin has a long history and tradition of making ukuleles and they are well respected similar to the big "K"s. As for others, it's probably hit and miss ... you get what you pay for. I have a made in China Gretsch uke and I like it a lot, though after a few years of playing it I also long for a Hawaiian made Koa ukulele.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:59 PM

If anyone is looking for a high end ukulele at a midlevel price they should take a look at Pono. I’ve got two and I’m very impressed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments