The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2018, 03:28 PM

Default Seagull Maritime SWS Rosewood vs Yamaha AC1M

I had the Yamaha AC1M and decided to go up a bit in level and go for a all solid model in the Seagull. I tried some of the Entourage guitars and loved the 1.72" nut width. I had never tried an all solid guitar yet, so I wasn't sure what to expect. So I got the SWS today and like it a lot so far. But.....I am amazed at how much these 2 guitars sound alike. They are both Spruce tops, but the Yamaha has laminated mahogany back ad sides, while the SWS has rosewood back and sides. The Seagull MAY be a tad brighter sounding? The Yamaha sounds a bit more "sparkly" if that makes sense. Also the Seagull has a tad more fuller bottom end due to the full vs the concert size of the Yamaha. Haven't tried the electronics yet, so I am hoping that will be the tiebreaker

Anyway, so far here is what I hear. The all solid Seagull doesn't really sound noticeably "better" than the laminate Yamaha, which kind of surprised me. Also....I am surprised at how full the concert size/cutaway Yamaha sounds compared to the full dread Seagull. Very close in sheer volume and fullness.
Now I am curious if a full dread Yamaha like the A3M would top the Seagull, if the A1CM is this close? Don't get me wrong.....I really like the Seagull and need to get more used to it....but I guess I was expecting more of a difference. They are both really nice guitars though and I would be happy with either, but I only want to keep one and need to decide within the next 2 weeks. I will try and post a comparison video on youtube very soon to see if any sound differences come through in the recording.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:08 PM
Guest 2434

my SWS (hog) has improved tone wise as the lovely new guitar smell has weakened. I thought it well balanced but a bit dull initially but a couple of months in and I am picking it up much more.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:55 AM

Yamaha makes a great guitar and not for a lot of money.

I had the A1M and it played and sounded great, I just wanted a Martin and Gibson.

The A3M looks like a great guitar with solid wood top, back, and sides and great electronics.
Taylor 414CE-R
Martin GPCRSGT
Squier Classic Vibe Strat and Tele
Old 01-22-2018, 08:00 AM

More confirmation that not all laminates are crap, and not all solid timber builds are inherently superior.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
More confirmation that not all laminates are crap, and not all solid timber builds are inherently superior.
Yes. I was very surprised that there wasn't a noticeable difference in the sound. So I guess it comes down to what is more comfortable to play and which sounds better electronically? The AC1M only has a piezo style pickup, so I am guessing the Seagull will beat it in that category.

Last edited by JackB1; 01-22-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmf View Post
my SWS (hog) has improved tone wise as the lovely new guitar smell has weakened. I thought it well balanced but a bit dull initially but a couple of months in and I am picking it up much more.
the guitar's sound will change with only 3 month's of aging?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:56 AM
Guest 2434

I can't tell you the specifics but sure... why not? the wood is changing.
I noted that it doesn't smell as much. that's one of my senses. I don't see any reason why changes won't affect my other senses (sound). wood darkens too (vision) but there's no appreciable visual difference that I can see so far.
however my appreciation of the nuances of the sound are just as likely to have been affected over the same period of time and my opinion is I like it more now than I did initially.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmf View Post
I can't tell you the specifics but sure... why not? the wood is changing.
I noted that it doesn't smell as much. that's one of my senses. I don't see any reason why changes won't affect my other senses (sound). wood darkens too (vision) but there's no appreciable visual difference that I can see so far.
however my appreciation of the nuances of the sound are just as likely to have been affected over the same period of time and my opinion is I like it more now than I did initially.
Which SWS model do you have exactly? Have you tried it through an amp?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:16 AM

Not familiar with either guitar specifically, but speaking generally.

Strings, their age and type/size/construction, make a difference. Finding the strings you prefer for a new guitar is a journey.

Folks have already mentioned the "opening up" factor for a new acoustic guitar. Many believe this, and there's even a bit of empirical evidence that it exists. But, another factor co-exists with that: we learn to play a new guitar over time, particularly one that is different in timbre or playing interface. Over time as you play the new guitar and settle on the strings for it that fit your desires best, you find it's voice in combination with yourself.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Guest 2434

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Which SWS model do you have exactly? Have you tried it through an amp?
I have spruce/mahogany. I have only used it 'unplugged'.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:09 PM

Anyone else compare Yamaha vs Seagull in the under $1,000 market?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Anyone else compare Yamaha vs Seagull in the under $1,000 market?
I have a SWS Maritime Spruce/Rwood slope dread, and a Yamaha AC3M. Both nice guitars, Seagull is a little bassier since it's bigger but I'm happy with both of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion