The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 09:40 PM

I had the opportunity to play one of Doyle Dykes guitars... I was hoping some of that “magic dust” would remain on my hands. Great sounding guitar... but no “magic dust” ;-)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:57 PM

Got to play Steve Stills’ Pre War Martin D-45.

Looked/felt/sounded incredible!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I played Tommy Emmanuel's Kalamazoo in May, 2008. We were in the Syracuse, NY airport waiting for a plane to Chicago, and we hung out for a couple of hours. His Kalamazoo was well set up and had new strings on it and sounded quite good.

- Glenn
That is something else awesome! I'd sit there and think what should I play for about an hour
Old 01-20-2018, 10:46 PM

I also played Chris Proctor's Guild 12 string before he moved to playing Taylor Guitars.
This guitar was the easiest 12 that I have ever played.
It was the first 12 string that I had ever seen with a fully compensated saddle.

I had the same model but it never played like Chris' did.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I played Tommy Emmanuel's Kalamazoo in May, 2008. We were in the Syracuse, NY airport waiting for a plane to Chicago, and we hung out for a couple of hours. His Kalamazoo was well set up and had new strings on it and sounded quite good.

- Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
That is something else awesome! I'd sit there and think what should I play for about an hour
My wife and I had been at a Tommy Emmanuel workshop and we had been there the year before also, so we knew Tommy reasonably well and he knew us by name. When we bumped into him at the airport as we were heading back to Seattle by way of Chicago, Tommy called out to us, "Hey kids!" He was over in a group of chairs at a gate that was not in use, and he was working on a new song, which later showed up on his "Little By Little" album. The song was called "Waiting for a Plane." It was unfinished when he showed us how far he had gotten.

Then he asked me what I was working on, and I told him that I had been working on his "Lewis & Clark" song. I later recorded this song and discussed it in the AGF Show & Tell section. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ighlight=Lewis

He then handed me his Kalamazoo guitar and said, "Show me!" So I took off my jacket and got out a thumb pick and my capo and sat down with his guitar and then realized that my hands were shaking. Tommy looked at my hands and said to me, kidding around, "You need some medicine??!!" Well, I just laughed out loud and that seemed to take all the pressure off. Then I was relaxed. Tommy did give me some pointers that really helped me. It was one of those experiences that when you are in the middle of it you keep saying to yourself, "I can't believe that this is happening!" It was something I will always remember.

- Glenn
Old 01-21-2018, 12:47 AM

I played Peter Mulvey’s vintage Mahogany Martin 00-15 (or maybe 00-17?) after a local concert..Also in a reverse story-Pierre Bensusan played my Larrivee OM-03!

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 01-21-2018, 03:13 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I owned a Tippin DST-12 for a time that was commissioned by Martin Simpson. The set up was excellent and it sounded great. What surprised me was how chunky the neck was. I mean a virtual baseball bat. That was the reason one of our fellow AGFer sold it to me and why I eventually flipped it myself. I spoke to Bill Tippin about it and that chunky neck was at Martin’s request.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:51 AM

No but I played an original (1928 ?) Martin D-18.

"In The Wind"
Old 01-21-2018, 05:38 AM

Back in 96 I played Lollapalooza and a couple of more US tours with indie band Cornershop.I was on sitar,electric guitar and some keyboards.We were signed by Luaka bop,David Byrne's label and at the begiginning of the tour I was dropping by his house and he would lend me a Telecaster for the tour,I remember that the set-up was simply perfect.I played Pierre Bensusan Lowden and he played my Yamaha L25A at one of his week long house seminars in France.

Last edited by Paoli; 01-21-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

I got to play Duane Allman's 65 Gibson 335. It was owned and played by Duane in the 60's and 70's and then owned by Dickie Betts after that.

Steve Mesple, who owns Wildwood Guitars in Colorado is a collector (and a wonderful human), let me sit and play that guitar for almost an hour. I was in heaven!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:33 AM

Default Anyone played the guitar of a famous guitarist??

I once got to hold one of the most iconic Stratocasters in history Mr Hank B Marvins original Fiesta Red Strat . Also got to play one of the original Fender Jerry Donahue Prototypes owned by Jerry he has also played my FretKing JD during a guitar clinic
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 01-21-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 Relic View Post
I once got to hold one of the most iconic Stratocasters in history Mr Hank B Marvins original Fiesta Red Strat . Also got to play one of the original Fender Jerry Donahue Prototypes owned by Jerry he has also played my FretKing JD during a guitar clinic
I've played a signature model of Hank's guitar.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:43 AM

I played the Gibson that Jim Croce used when he recorded more than a few of his hit songs. It actually gave me goose bumps given it's provenance.

Very comfortable neck, played "like buttah", no intonation issues nor finish issues. While it obviously recorded very well, unamplified it sounded very quiet and thin. No bass at all. Had I pulled it off the wall at a music store it would have gone right back up on the wall after 1 or 2 chords. Definitely a huge treat tho!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Well, I once got within 5 ft. of Mike Stern's Yamaha !!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:23 AM

I once played a large body acoustic guitar which was being sold by Mark O'Connor at a well-known reputable music store. I don't recall the name of the maker but a known small shop luthier. They brought it from storage in the case with older strings and I wasn't infatuated but I quickly realized that the bridge was lifting, which they had not been aware of. Stopped playing and moved on. Oh, well....

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion