The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 06:52 PM

Default Hank Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Just wondering if anyone has played the guitar of a well-known/famous artist?
If so, how was their set up and did anything surprise you?
To sit behind Don’s Gibson Console Grande and stum the strings was magical. Some of the most recognizable intros.on Hank songs was played on this guitar that Don simply called old red. He played on over 100 Hank Williams songs. He was such a fine man.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:53 PM

I sold a guitar to a famous folk singer.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

I played Tommy Emmanuel's Kalamazoo in May, 2008. We were in the Syracuse, NY airport waiting for a plane to Chicago, and we hung out for a couple of hours. His Kalamazoo was well set up and had new strings on it and sounded quite good.

- Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5784.jpg (38.5 KB, 312 views)
Old 01-20-2018, 07:24 PM

I owned a dred originally owned by Christopher Cross. It was a nice dred ...but nothing special or different about it or its setup.

Edward
Old 01-20-2018, 07:34 PM

Today I played Grant Gordy's '44 000-18 and Ross Martin's Collings D2-H. They also played several of mine, and I think they were both pretty taken with a pair of Bourgeois dreadnoughts.

It's amazing to have a couple of virtuosos sitting in your living room, picking on the couch. I don't think I'll ever get over it.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 01-20-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I played Tommy Emmanuel's Kalamazoo in May, 2008. We were in the Syracuse, NY airport waiting for a plane to Chicago, and we hung out for a couple of hours. His Kalamazoo was well set up and had new strings on it and sounded quite good.

- Glenn
Great photo! KG-11 I think.

Tommy is very down-to-earth. Met him in Bath a year or so ago. Great guy.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:46 PM

I owned briefly an electric guitar made by Washburn that was suppose to be a prototype for the late Dennis Danell of Social Distortion. Story goes it was being developed at the time of his passing.

I also got to play on one of Sean Sammons' (ex- Puddle Of Mudd) basses and he has used my rig at a show and I've used his at another show. He lives local here and plays in the Emma Moseley Band now. The bass I forget the year, but a 1950's P-Bass.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:46 PM

Default famous the other way 'round

I've had some of mine played by well-known people, but can't say it has ever been the other way 'round. Gordon Bok played my12er before I got it and Jackson Brown played my baritone the same way, yet I am the first owner of each. Toby has played a couple of mine. Many of the well-known players who have performed at my Rocky Top Concert series have played my guitars. But I don't touch theirs unless invited.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 01-22-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Just wondering if anyone has played the guitar of a well-known/famous artist?
If so, how was their set up and did anything surprise you?
Played Wes Montgomery's single-PU L-5 at MandoBros about ten years ago; my impressions:
  • Very smooth, rounded acoustic tone - built-in humbucker/controls weren't as detrimental as one would think - and "that" tone when plugged in;
  • Exceptionally easy-playing with flatwound 13's - Wes clearly "got it" when it came to archtop players' rule #1: focus on proper technique and let the guitar do all the work;
  • One of the finest necks I've ever played on any guitar: not quite as slim as the '66-68 1-9/16" profile (I'm thinking 1-5/8"), but an extremely comfortable flat-C not unlike the best mid-60's SG Standard/Custom models - and one that today's archtop luthiers would do well to include in their options list;
In short, if I had the $125K price of admission I'd likely own it right now...
Old 01-20-2018, 07:56 PM

This post has really set me thinking. Back in 2003 along with my good friend Chris Jones, I went to see Love’s Forever Changes Gig in Sheffield, Chris had done some photography for them and had got to know Arthur Lee and the boys in Baby Lemonade, particular Rusty Squeezebox and Mike Randle quite well. We were invited to the sound check and afterwards we headed back to the dressing room where Mike let me play his white Gibson ES335 - absolutely sublime - this was a day and a gig I will never forget. There is a review of the gig with some of Chris’s photographs at http://love.torbenskott.dk/tour2003/..._sheffield.asp [emoji3]
Old 01-20-2018, 08:11 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
That's very cool!!

Old 01-20-2018, 08:19 PM

I got to play a Martin D18 which had been hired into a studio and had been used on numerous sessions previously, including The Edge from U2 and Lee Mavers from The La's. Incredible guitar. Sounded amazing and played even better. Little wonder that it wasn't for sale!

Gazza
Old 01-20-2018, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

I knew the guitar tech/luthier for Lynyrd Skynyrd and he let me play Gary Rossington's '59 Les Paul while Gary was off the road gettin' his guitars worked on. Same with some of Dave Hlubek's guitars from Molly Hatchet.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Played Wes Montgomery's single-PU L-5 at MandoBros about ten years ago; my impressions:[LIST][*]Very smooth, rounded acoustic tone - built-in humbucker/controls weren't as detrimental as one would think - and "that" tone when plugged in;
So the tone wasn't all in his fingers!
Old 01-20-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

I used to own a 68 SG formerly owned by Stuart Swanlund of the Marshall Tucker Band. He traded it in to Chicago music exchange to raise cash for health issues. I bought it from CME and he died a few weeks later. Actually looked him up and talked to him on the phone about the guitar before he passed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion