The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2018, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Andy for sharing your expertise.
Although I play primarily finger style with bare fingers I have incorporated strumming too.
I did not realize until quite recently how pick quality can enhance ones technique.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:56 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
What thickness, shape, type, material etc. do you recommend for a "thin strumming pick"?
I'm not Andy, and I'd never recommend a thin pick for anything. I'd suggest you start at no less than 0.045" (about 1.14mm) and work up from there. The rest is about technique...

Nearly anytime someone is struggling with thicker picks and I watch them play, they have far too much pick extending past their thumb/finger. This works (functionally, not in terms of tone) with a thin pick because it bends so much, but it is contact with the string for a very long time. A thicker pick works with much less, about 1/8" for the sake of discussion, of the pick exposed. This keeps the pick from hanging up and lets the string snap off the end of the pick. Precision and clear, deep tone will result with a little practice.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
I'm predominantly a strummer and everything he says hold true for strumming too. I prefer a pick about 1.25-1.5mm thickness for strumming and let my fingers supply the flex. Bevels help tremendously with strumming too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I'm not Andy, and I'd never recommend a thin pick for anything. I'd suggest you start at no less than 0.045" (about 1.14mm) and work up from there. The rest is about technique...

Nearly anytime someone is struggling with thicker picks and I watch them play, they have far too much pick extending past their thumb/finger. This works (functionally, not in terms of tone) with a thin pick because it bends so much, but it is contact with the string for a very long time. A thicker pick works with much less, about 1/8" for the sake of discussion, of the pick exposed. This keeps the pick from hanging up and lets the string snap off the end of the pick. Precision and clear, deep tone will result with a little practice.
Thank you Mick and Todd

Last edited by guitar george; 01-22-2018 at 09:59 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion