The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-20-2018, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
Nicely done, but you realize you could have been doing something worthwhile in those two minutes, right?

I'll never get those 2 minutes back!
Old 01-23-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Wow, Chet Atkins plays Stairway..... Who would of thought,
Don't be dissing Chet. He probably would have covered it really well. I'd say sounds more like Flatt and Scruggs playing it after having 2 much coffee.

Great chop building song and as a plus no one would probably ever ask you to play it.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull S6 View Post
Don't be dissing Chet. He probably would have covered it really well. I'd say sounds more like Flatt and Scruggs playing it after having 2 much coffee.

Great chop building song and as a plus no one would probably ever ask you to play it.
Wow, I'd like to hear those two do a fast rendition of Stairway, especially Scruggs on the banjo.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:17 PM

Happy to agree that Led Zep are fantastic interpreters - invariably their versions are better than the originals! I wouldn't mind if they just admitted their debt. But they don't. They are session musicians looking at the meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Interesting video, thanks for sharing. With the exception of perhaps Howling Wolf I liked the Zepplin version better in all cases. I believe you are right but would cast it from the perspective of some folks are creators, some are interpreters. I frequently find the great players can’t compose, tell lyrical stories, or teach. I think it has to do the personality of the folks that are able to master instruments. You need to spend vast hours alone, repetitively practicing, staring at either your instrument or a wall. There are exceptions however I can’t see how this would generally breed a high EQ.

Further, to use the modern label, Page is to mind somewhere on the “spectrum”. When I first heard Page speak he couldn’t quite “get it out”. however as you hear more he has a lot to say and has thought deeply. Big mental engine, small verbal conduit. I am not supprised song writing is not his skill.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen David View Post
Nice version but this does touch a raw nerve. Led Zep were basically a collection of very talented session musicians with not a creative bean between them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTz_iX_L0VA

And even all their performance tropes were derived.
Just because Zep's catalog has blues influences in it, doesn't mean they stole anything. A blues scale only has 5 notes in it so the possibility of a song sounding like someone else's song is pretty staggering. And for the most part, most of the examples were pretty much unlistenable and had scant resemblance to the LZ interpretations.

It's like the shear nonsense surrounding this song: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday_to_You

When an entity that had zero involvement in writing a public domain song can ransom people for decades for performing it, there is something wrong with the system. At least in 2016 after almost 100 years, that wrong was made right by the courts.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-06-2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 01-25-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen David View Post
Nice version but this does touch a raw nerve. Led Zep were basically a collection of very talented session musicians with not a creative bean between them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTz_iX_L0VA

And even all their performance tropes were derived.
Leopards don't change their spots. Here he is, stealing Skiffle tunes in the 50's. Who knows, If he was a bit more creative, he might have had a bit of commercial success.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:45 PM

Seriously. Anyone that plays a song that they did not write themselves needs to cease and desist until they properly compensate the writer. This includes humming, whistling or even thinking about a song and if no one hears you doing any of the above, pony up or risk jail time.

JP should immigrate here. I'm sure we could find him a nice comfy bridge to live under. It would be a shame for him to die a destitute, penniless failure in a place like GB. Unlike most Brits, we do have a heart............

Last edited by Seagull S6; 01-25-2018 at 02:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell