The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Basic Garage Band Backing track question

Can somebody point me to a tutorial on how to make my own simple backing track in garage band? I have figured out how to record into a mike and make other parallel tracks, but all I want to do is lay down a simple progression and then have it repeat for a few minutes, and I do not want to use the pre-programmed canned music.

I also do not want to strum the following chords

I IV I V
I IV IVI

ad infinitum when there should be a way to copy the track.

I have looked at several tutorials, but they are all using pre-programmed loops.

Thanks for any suggestions.

CK
Old 01-19-2018, 11:55 AM

I believe Justinguitar.com has a lesson on how to make a backing track with GarageBand

Blues Creek OM I built
Martin D-15M
Martin D12X1
Guild D-40 Traditional
Guild D-55
Alvarez MPA70
Alvarez AFA1965
1968 Harmony Sovereign H1260
Fender Modern Player Plus Telecaster
Fender 2019 American Performer Surf Green HS Telecaster
Gold Tone Beard Resonator
Old 01-19-2018, 01:38 PM

Yes, it's easy. I'll outline the procedure (I hope that I get it right - I don't have a Mac computer handy right now).

Once you've established the chord sequence that you want, start recording & start strumming. Go through the progression several times, to be sure that you've got a "good take".

Listen to what you've recorded. Make note of which bits sound good & which bits don't.

Place the vertical marker at the beginning of a good bit. Click on "Track" (or is it "Edit"?), then "Split". Do the same at the end of the good bit. The good bit will now appear separated from the remainder of the track.

Make a new track "Track - New track". Drag the good bit onto the new track.

Repeat until you've got all the makings of a good chord progression. Select all of the bits by Shift-clicking them all, then choose "Track (or edit) - Join" The bits will combine into a single unit. To duplicate, select this newly formed unit, place the vertical marker at the right end of it, and copy.

I hope this is correct - I'm working from memory & haven't used GB in a while.
Best of luck!
Old 01-19-2018, 03:28 PM

Here is the link to that lesson at JustinGuitar.com

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/RT-2...troduction.php

Blues Creek OM I built
Martin D-15M
Martin D12X1
Guild D-40 Traditional
Guild D-55
Alvarez MPA70
Alvarez AFA1965
1968 Harmony Sovereign H1260
Fender Modern Player Plus Telecaster
Fender 2019 American Performer Surf Green HS Telecaster
Gold Tone Beard Resonator
Old 01-23-2018, 03:55 PM

If you record your backing tracks while keeping time with the Drummer or metronome in GB you will be able to do what you were asking about.

If you just record freestyle without locking to the sequencer in GB you will have a real hard time.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 01-23-2018, 05:34 PM

This is why Band In A Box exists.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Can somebody point me to a tutorial on how to make my own simple backing track in garage band? I have figured out how to record into a mike and make other parallel tracks, but all I want to do is lay down a simple progression and then have it repeat for a few minutes, and I do not want to use the pre-programmed canned music.

I IV I V
I IV IVI

I have looked at several tutorials, but they are all using pre-programmed loops.

CK
If I understand correctly. Sounds to me like what you are after is how to loop/repeat the playback for a specific section that you have recorded, so you can practice playing different things over that progression , yes ? If so then "Copy and paste" is not necessary to simply loop the playback.

In GB to keep repeating (loop) a specific section in playback they call it the Cycle Button it's the button to the right of the Info screen in the transport toolbar at the bottom . When you click It, it will show a yellow bar at the top that you can place and then drag for the specific length of your recorded progression section that you wish to repeat play.

In the linked video that "lonecedar" posted, the chap talks about it and shows it starting at 3:20 .....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-25-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post

I IV I V
I IV IVI

CK
If I understand your question you need only record your chord progression once then follow the instructions in the link below.
http://www.dummies.com/computers/mac...in-garageband/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD