The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-18-2018, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Thoughts on Sunrise sound hole pickups?

Thinking about a Sunrise sound hole pickup for a custom wide body D-28 that currently has a K&K mini but is way boomy. Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated...thanks!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 01-18-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 AM

Do you mean a Sunrise?
Old 01-18-2018, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Yes! See...this is what happens when you post "pre-coffee"?!?

Old 01-18-2018, 08:37 AM

i personally think they are great.I have one in my d28.
i have also tried fishmen neodymium with the mic.
and baggs m80. i think the m80 is a bit more
acoustic sounding. but the sunrise sounds clearer
and sounds good no matter what i plug it into.
the fishmen i didn't like at all. I currently have installed
the sunrise and gig with it regularly. it's certainly
less feedback prone at higher volumes than
the kk.
Downside is if you play any type of percussive
style on your guitar the sunrise won't pick it up.
were as the baggs m80 and kk will.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Many thanks! No percussive playing from me. Do you use the Sunrise preamp/DI box as well? Just curious as I have a collection of preamp/DI boxes and am wondering if one of those would match up well with the pickup? Or if it can be plugged straight into an acoustic amp with good results?
Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:49 AM

I love mine. I use the little sunrise buffer box (got my pickup used and it came with it, not sure if they all do) and it sounds great. I have used it on several different guitars (d35 being the closest to your d28) and it has worked well in all of them. I will say I haven’t ever used it as a single source, it has always been the low-end meat of a dual source setup.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Yeah...I understand it in a dual source role. Problem in this particular guitar is it's already too boomy with just a K&K mini. I can't imagine what an internal mic would sound like? I was thinking of the Baggs Anthem but just don't think it will be a good fit?

Old 01-18-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Thinking about a Sunrise sound hole pickup for a custom wide body D-28 that currently has a K&K mini but is way boomy. Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated...thanks!
The sunrise is a great pickup - but I'm not sure it's going to help too much with your "boomy" issue. Normally a mag pickup is added to a dual source system to bring in some warmth and presence at the bottom end. (I actually use a DiMarzio Black Angel for such a system). Doesn't sound like you need any more bottom end though....!

If you have good outboard pre amps for a dual source system, I would suggest adding a mic rather than a mag pickup. Then you could eq out some of the bottom end from the K&K and add some "air" from the mic.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I've tried many systems, removed K&Ks, Lyrics, etc from several guitars, it's a Sunrise>Sunrise Buffer Box for me, I always go back.

Yes, the Sunrise will not be boomy like the K&K. That's the beauty of adjustable pole pieces for each string to tailor the string balance is a beautiful thing.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

I gigged for decades with a Sunrise pickups through a Demeter Tube DI. It's a great combination. Reliable, good sound, and no feedback. (On the negative side is the problem of the too loud B string which leads some folks to use pure nickel jazz strings instead of bronze acoustic strings.)

The Dimarzio Black Angel was positively reviewed by Doug Young so I bought one and compared it with a Sunrise. The Black Angel is an excellent pickup. It costs less than a Sunrise and it sounds surprisingly acoustic plugged directly into an amp or mixer. No DI or preamp required. It's lighter weight compared with a Sunrise means it doesn't damp the acoustic sound of the guitar as much. AND it's possible to balance the B string when using bronze strings!

If you're considering a Sunrise pickup you might want to also look at the Black Angel. It's a more modern design and IMHO it's as good a pickup as the Sunrise.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
I gigged for decades with a Sunrise pickups through a Demeter Tube DI. It's a great combination. Reliable, good sound, and no feedback. (On the negative side is the problem of the too loud B string which leads some folks to use pure nickel jazz strings instead of bronze acoustic strings.)

The Dimarzio Black Angel was positively reviewed by Doug Young so I bought one and compared it with a Sunrise. The Black Angel is an excellent pickup. It costs less than a Sunrise and it sounds surprisingly acoustic plugged directly into an amp or mixer. No DI or preamp required. It's lighter weight compared with a Sunrise means it doesn't damp the acoustic sound of the guitar as much. AND it's possible to balance the B string when using bronze strings!

If you're considering a Sunrise pickup you might want to also look at the Black Angel. It's a more modern design and IMHO it's as good a pickup as the Sunrise.
Yeah, the Dimarzio Angel and Black Angel have become popular substitutes for the Sunrise in recent years, especially among those who plan on going dual source. The design makes them a little more dynamic & acoustic than the Sunrise, whose primary strength is really bass and feedback rejection. The Angels that I've heard in dual source setups have been really impressive.

Another option is the Fishman Blackstack, which is a pretty obvious Sunrise clone. However, it comes in a pretty sweet case and is about a 100 bucks less. The Angels and the Blackstack are also less heavy than the Sunrise, which is of value to those who feel like the Sunrise is akin to clipping a brick in their soundhole.

None of this is to take away from the Sunrise, it's a really impressive mag and I would never "not" recommend it. The Angels and Blackstack are just good alternatives.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Thanks so much for all the responses...much appreciated! This particular guitar (D-28 wide body) is only an additional 1/2" wider in the lower bout like two 1936 D-45's (I believe it was?) but it really has a lot more bottom and top end than my standard D-28. Great guitar unplugged but difficult to tame plugged in?

Old 01-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I do like the Dimarzio Angel and Black Angel, I've owned both.

I would disagree they are more dynamic and acoustic than the Sunrise, but for the sound and price they are excellent choices. I'd say 80% of the sound at 50% the price.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
The sunrise is a great pickup - but I'm not sure it's going to help too much with your "boomy" issue. Normally a mag pickup is added to a dual source system to bring in some w.....you could eq out some of the bottom end from the K&K.....
This. It's not the K&K. Get a good pre-amp/mixer and do what every guitar-amp or guitar-pa should have done - set your levels and gain to get the best out of your instrument. Like getting a set up on every guitar - every guitar needs to have its amplified sound finessed properly for the best result.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Many thanks! No percussive playing from me. Do you use the Sunrise preamp/DI box as well? Just curious as I have a collection of preamp/DI boxes and am wondering if one of those would match up well with the pickup? Or if it can be plugged straight into an acoustic amp with good results?
Thanks again!
i don't have the buffer box. i have used it with
my felix pre and the kk pure xlr. i have also
plugged it direct into an AER compact 60/3 amp.
all with excellent results. again the sunrise has
more of a magnetic pup sound then the kk to
my ears but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I managed to tame the b string by removing the
pole piece altogether. i also screwd down the g pole as well.
i am actually quite impressed with the sunrise.
It has stood the test of time and sounds as good if not better
than most mag pups. Some call it the "King of acoustic pups."
I wouldn't go that far but it's pretty good nonetheless.
don't be afraid to fool with the pole pieces. i ended up screwing
down the low e string as well. it's like having a mechanical EQ. ha

Last edited by varmonter; 01-18-2018 at 02:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification