The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-16-2018, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

I like the Bois d'Rose as well. It will go nicely with the P.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

BdR loads the sandpaper as badly as anything else I’ve ever sanded. That would be Teak.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:17 PM

I really liked the way you did the birds this time, with the different numbers, but mostly different sizes as well!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have done the birds many ways over the years. I first used them in the late '70's. They have become much more "alive" since the earliest iterations.

Got the bridge on the Pernambuco OM today, and made the nut and saddle as well as installing the Grand Tuners.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 01-17-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have strung up the Pernambuco OM, but not yet cleaned it up for photo-journalism.

The L00-JB/2 BRW has 6 coats of varnish on it, and looks like it might take 9 to complete it.

Today i started a new guitar, my first of 2018. After making several in a row that were commissioned, this one is a spec piece which I plan to show at La Conner in May. It is related to a number of guitars I have made as it is my fully asymmetrical "JB" multiScale, but for the first time based on Gibson's L00 instead of Martin's 00/000/OM aesthetic. Also, it will be shorter scale ala Gibson: 24 3/4 x 25 1/4. I am using the Amazon Rosewood 4 piece back I showed off a few months ago, and topping it with a EuroSpruce (German, I think) top I joined up years ago and used something else.

Some pics:

Old 01-20-2018, 08:09 PM

That's one heluva top there Bruce... Remember that Amazon back from the kingwood thread a while back. While I love the look of a back strip I hope you allow that lovely striping and sapwood to show...
Old 01-20-2018, 09:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

It is my informed opinion that a backstrip is a decoration second, and primarily it is an important hedge against humidity issues in the vulnerable back plate. I will sometimes forego the backstrip in softer woods, but that is far from what this amazon is. There will be a backstrip with centerseam reinforcement, and some cleats over the outer two joins as well.

This is a nice top, but I would prefer less disparity between the grain count in the center relative to the outside. That may be mere aesthetics, but greater consistency seems like a good idea to me. I suspect I am picking nits.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
It is my informed opinion that a backstrip is a decoration second, and primarily it is an important hedge against humidity issues in the vulnerable back plate. I will sometimes forego the backstrip in softer woods, but that is far from what this amazon is. There will be a backstrip with centerseam reinforcement, and some cleats over the outer two joins as well.

This is a nice top, but I would prefer less disparity between the grain count in the center relative to the outside. That may be mere aesthetics, but greater consistency seems like a good idea to me. I suspect I am picking nits.
I never thought of the center strip in relation to humidity. As far as the top, I think you have earned the right to nit picks. With your wood locker I think it would be interesting to hear what you think when you are thinking up your next build.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:08 AM

Cool

Quote:
Maybe there is some distortion in this image, but since the lower bout on the top and bottom are similarly distorted to my eye, can we assume this may be a new Sexauer model shape experiment? I know you don't use molds for your builds, so this may be in the realm of possibility. Sort of reminds me of David Wren's build for the Group of Seven Guitar Project last year. I'm kind of digging the shape ... thou my imagination might just be running wild on a Sunday morning.

As to the top grain spacing. I'm sure most people here on the AGF would have no objections to your recommendations for using this top on their Sexauer build, I know I wouldn't.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)

Last edited by IBKuz; 01-21-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Must be my cheapo laptop screen, it's hard for me to see much detail in that top but what I do see looks good to me. I can say I think that back is gorgeous also.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

This is an asymmetric, JB model. The L00esque body has been made asymmetrical intentionally. Regarding the top and the back set shapes, I expect Bruce will incorporate a 5/16” Manzer wedge into the guitar which alters things a bit. The back needs to span that difference. I am glad to see that Bruce chose to use such a beautiful 4-piece back set...
Old 01-21-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
This is an asymmetric, JB model. The L00esque body has been made asymmetrical intentionally. Regarding the top and the back set shapes, I expect Bruce will incorporate a 5/16” Manzer wedge into the guitar which alters things a bit. The back needs to span that difference. I am glad to see that Bruce chose to use such a beautiful 4-piece back set...
Interesting, I had to go back to Bruce's website and look at the images again. I had not noticed this subtle shape manipulation as it looks very natural with the angled bridge. Glad it wasn't my imagination playing tricks on me this morning.

Very cool ...

2018 Michaud OO-R
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
Old 01-21-2018, 11:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

My JB designation indicates a body wrapped around my 1/2” disparity MultiScale. The bridge will be about 15 degrees out of square to the center line of the guitar which means the X brace (and all other top braces) will be moved to suit. This cause the interior structure to become excessive is some areas and light in others. . . Unless the template is also altered to better serve the bridges relocation. And that is what my JB series guitars do. I think I have built about 30 of them at this point, though this will be my first inspired by the L00. Dream Guitars has my most recently completed JB-15 for sale at the moment, though it seems there is a sale pending.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:20 AM

Bruce, I just listened to that Dream Guitar...it sounds amazing. Congrats on another wonderful guitar!
Old 01-21-2018, 11:29 AM

Smile

Quote:
My JB designation indicates a body wrapped around my 1/2” disparity MultiScale. The bridge will be about 15 degrees out of square to the center line of the guitar which means the X brace (and all other top braces) will be moved to suit. This cause the interior structure to become excessive is some areas and light in others. . . Unless the template is also altered to better serve the bridges relocation. And that is what my JB series guitars do. I think I have built about 30 of them at this point, though this will be my first inspired by the L00. Dream Guitars has my most recently completed JB-15 for sale at the moment, though it seems there is a sale pending.
I was just on the DG site as I wanted to see what others have done with their body shapes. Some are asymmetrical others just standard.

PS Did stop by and listened to your Dream Series guitar, very nice. I wish I could stop by any of these top flight stores to give some of these guitars a play ... sigh

2018 Michaud OO-R
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop