The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-02-2018, 07:59 PM

Default What did you learn in 2017?

I belong to an online classical guitar school (classicalguitarcorner.com) and the host of the site (Simon Powis) turned things around a bit for his new year resolutions - instead of looking just to new things to do in 2018 he looked back to 2017 to see what had worked well (or not) to see what to build on in 2018. I thought this was a great idea, so I posted my own list of guitar stuff that worked here (starting with learning to sight read better).

What guitar things went well for you in 2017? what didn't?
Old 01-03-2018, 01:40 AM

That’s a difficult question for me. I suffered a serious injury to my left ring finger, nearly lost the top joint in a freak accident at work back in June. I’ve spent the rest of the year relearning guitar, learning to compensate for what is still quite painful scar tissue in the pad and side of my finger. So I guess I’d have to say I’m learning discipline and mechanics all over again. Time will tell whether that dexterity will ever return, at least on a classical level.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 01-03-2018, 07:51 AM

At age 62, I've learned that if I don't play songs on a regular basis, I forget how to play them... So my daily practice routine is to play at least 10 songs completely everyday.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I have most of Jose Ferrer y Esteve's Capricho ready. I learned all of the notes and I should have performable rendition soon.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 AM

I learned that I want a quality classical guitar for jazz.
Meanwhile my Martin 00-18G fills the bill.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:17 AM

Default Personal detour

Migrating from folk songs on a steel string guitar to lessons on a classical, I learned that I'm much less a player than I thought. Cool; now the improvement can start.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:10 PM

Well this is an excellent thought and I'd love to add to it but after a 13 year hiatus from guitar, the only thing I learned is how tough it is to get back into it.

Skills are extremely rusty, pieces are forgotten, and in some ways it's like starting over. Definitely does not fit into the 'riding a bicycle' cliche.

I hope you can post this again next year as I am working on some goals of what I'd like to accomplish this year.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:27 PM

We replaced the other guitar player in the band in 2017. It was an opportunity to drop some songs to that only the former guitar player liked. Thankfully the new player added some songs we all like and was willing to play a bunch of Shadows songs I have wanted to add. We even added a Beatles song "Cry For A Shadow" and a Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac classic "Albatross". So, for me it was a learning year.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-03-2018, 04:26 PM

I learned and am continuing to learn to read standard notation after more than 50 years of guitar playing...its opened a whole new world. Bought a classical guitar and am studying some classical pieces as well with a classically trained teacher. Loving it.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

I learned how to Travis Pick. Thanks Mark Hanson and Toby Walker and AGF, especially those members who have helped and encouraged me along this path.

I learned that a good instructor accelerates learning finger style guitar. Thanks Jamie.

I learned that there may be hope for me as a singer. Thanks Roger Love and Jeffrey Allen
Old 01-04-2018, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

After 56 years of fooling with guitars off an on I started taking lessons just before Christmas. What I have learned is that I know nothing about the guitar, particularly playing a classical guitar.

And with the onset of arthritis everywhere, it may be to late to learn.

Dave
Old 01-05-2018, 02:57 PM

I listened to that same podcast as well.

It was kind of a funny year - what did not work well ended up working pretty well.

Beginning of 2017 I set a goal of getting together a strong audition recording about an hour's in length.

A bunch of challenges presented themselves that deterred me. Some were musical such as purchasing and learning how to use new recording equipment, or being asked to do a pretty big accompaniment performance of about 6 new pieces. Some challenges were not musical.

By mid December no audition recording put together.

But by chance in late Dec. I spent about 4 hours recording material for an hour long cd as a home made-gift for a family member who asked for it. When I listened to the result, I was surprised. It was pretty close to being passable as the audition recording. Had some mistakes in it, and no real dynamics for most of the songs.

So I still have to get that audition recording done, but I am much closer than I thought in mid Dec! I think it will take eliminating a mistake or two (but probably not all) and adding in the dynamics I left out of some of the songs.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:20 AM

Came up with an arrangement for Jobim’s “Wave” that I like. I’d fooled with the tune for months, but one chord (I do chord-melody stuff) eluded me.
Then one day a couple of months ago, without thinking, I hit a decent harmony for that one missing note and it worked.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:53 PM

Default What did I learn in 2017

I am 77 and will be 78 this month (Feb). I played 40 years ago and started back this past July 2016. At first I had a really hard time doing the simplest things but feel I have made much progress. In the past 6 months I have learned a simple version of Greensleeves in addition to 3 Ragtime pieces from a book I bought in 1974. Presently working on more Ragtime pieces and Bouree ( Bach).
I memorize everything but I am finding it a challenge. Must be my age. I play these pieces over and over so I don't lose it. An.yway I don't plan any world tours yet but am enjoying myself
Old 01-14-2018, 08:07 PM

Many new things. Working constantly up the neck for more chord change possibilities. The chord frontier is seemingly endless! This is what excites me most. When will I quit learning? When I'm dead.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical