The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-23-2017, 11:20 AM

Default Famous Vintage Electric Guitar Provenance?

Anyone interested in vintage electric guitar provenance? Specifically, guitars played by famous people throughout the years.

For example, the "Kossoff Strat" is a 1957 Fender Strat played by Free guitarist Paul Kossoff. After he died, Dave Murray of Iron Maiden bought it in 1975 (it was around the time he started off with the band). That was Murray's main guitar throughout the 80s and was played on albums and tours. There's also some mystery around the guitar as to whether the body is also a 1957.

Another example is the Peter Green 1959 Gibson Les Paul, "Greeny". It was sold to Gary Moore who played it for years. It was bought a couple of years ago by Metallica's Kirk Hammett for an undisclosed amount but rumors put it around $2M.

Anyone else interested in these stories? Is there a good book out there with this info?

Share your stories.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:38 PM

other than interesting because i'm interested in guitars, not really. some of this may be to pump up the price when the present owner(s) wish to sell.

i have a gibson reverb unit i bought from joe bonamassa but i really doubt anyone cares except for me.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-23-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
other than interesting because i'm interested in guitars, not really. some of this may be to pump up the price when the present owner(s) wish to sell.

i have a gibson reverb unit i bought from joe bonamassa but i really doubt anyone cares except for me.

play music!
I guess I just like seeing guitars pass hands and knowing the history of some of them.

You have a reverb unit you bought from Joe B? I think that's cool! How did you buy it?
Old 12-23-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I guess I just like seeing guitars pass hands and knowing the history of some of them.

You have a reverb unit you bought from Joe B? I think that's cool! How did you buy it?
well, dru, i guess i'm wrong as someone does care. ha!

he has a well stocked industrial space near the burbank airport and i found out that he was selling some of his stuff. most were old marshall amps and old guitars that i couldn't afford, but, i found the gibson reverb unit and bought it from him. my friend bought a small harmony amp that i went thru and repaired for him.

dru: i'll bet you'd like to have one of these marshalls!

play music!

[IMG][/IMG]

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-23-2017, 11:25 PM

Had the pleasure/honor of playing Wes Montgomery's single-PU L-5 at MandoBros several years ago...
Old 12-23-2017, 11:37 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I have no stories to share, but as a former owner of a ‘58 Strat for many years, I’m quite interested in vintage electrics and enjoy reading about their history just for interest sake.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:32 AM

Cool story! Is that you next to Joe?

Yep, I'd enjoy seeing gear that's played by a famous guitarist. I'd like to buy something too, as long as its at market value. Joe is a gear nut - he probably has a couple of full warehouses full of gear.

I have his Epiphone Les Paul signature model with the Gibson Burstbuckers. I didn't know who Joe was when I bought it used a couple of years ago but the guitar was a great price, played well, US electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
well, dru, i guess i'm wrong as someone does care. ha!

he has a well stocked industrial space near the burbank airport and i found out that he was selling some of his stuff. most were old marshall amps and old guitars that i couldn't afford, but, i found the gibson reverb unit and bought it from him. my friend bought a small harmony amp that i went thru and repaired for him.

dru: i'll bet you'd like to have one of these marshalls!

play music!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-24-2017, 06:43 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It is interesting how some of these guitars are beginning to have chains of ownership very much like the Stradivarius violins. Many are referred to by the name of the famous owner, ie. the John Sebastian 'Burst, Greenie, etc.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

...Springsteens tele springs to mind...read more here...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...guitar-w444758
Old 12-24-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Cool story! Is that you next to Joe?

Yep, I'd enjoy seeing gear that's played by a famous guitarist. I'd like to buy something too, as long as its at market value. Joe is a gear nut - he probably has a couple of full warehouses full of gear.

I have his Epiphone Les Paul signature model with the Gibson Burstbuckers. I didn't know who Joe was when I bought it used a couple of years ago but the guitar was a great price, played well, US electronics.
yes, that is me next to joe. he was really a very congenial person-a regular joe! and, dru, i think i read where he has east coast and west coast warehouses, perhaps called nerdville east and west.

here is his new sig model.

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/epi...lying-v-outfit

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I find a number of aspects of music history interesting and especially anything to with history from the 60's on. Rock & Roll history etc.

Currently watching "Long strange Trip" a documentary about the Greatfull Dead

Here is a video about 6 guitars that Mark Knopfler owned (No change of ownership) per se but interesting One thing I find interesting is how identifiably Knopfler-ish the style is

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-24-2017, 12:51 PM

My banjo picker friend bought a nice old Gibson years ago from David Grisman. J Garcia was written in chalk on the case when he got it.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Anyone interested in vintage electric guitar provenance? Specifically, guitars played by famous people throughout the years.

For example, the "Kossoff Strat" is a 1957 Fender Strat played by Free guitarist Paul Kossoff. After he died, Dave Murray of Iron Maiden bought it in 1975 (it was around the time he started off with the band). That was Murray's main guitar throughout the 80s and was played on albums and tours. There's also some mystery around the guitar as to whether the body is also a 1957.

Another example is the Peter Green 1959 Gibson Les Paul, "Greeny". It was sold to Gary Moore who played it for years. It was bought a couple of years ago by Metallica's Kirk Hammett for an undisclosed amount but rumors put it around $2M.

Anyone else interested in these stories? Is there a good book out there with this info?

Share your stories.
Can't think of a book out that covers this specifically, but it's a good idea for one.

There's also:

The Fool SG (Clapton's guitar, later owned by Todd Rundgren)

Clapton/Harrison red Les Paul used on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

The Jaco bass (currently owned by Rob Trujillo of Metallica)

Joe Walsh sold Pete Townshend a Gretsch and Jimmy Page a Les Paul

Joe Perry's Les Paul ended up with Slash, who gave it back for Perry's 50th birthday
Old 12-24-2017, 04:57 PM

How about the '69 Strat the Hendrix burned at Monterey, gave to Frank Zappa, now Dweezil owns it?

The "Greenie Meanie" which was a San Dimas Charvel #3733, owned by Grover Jackson, "loaned" to Steve Vai, who painted it green (was sunburst basswood), deepened the lower cutaway, and shaved the neck down...

I own one Boogie Bodies Tele neck that was supposedly owned by Joe Perry in the Joe Perry Project days in the early 80's. The story was he pawned the guitars off at a music shop in or near Boston (the body was a Charvel "Star" body); the body has disappeared (second owner parted the guitar out) though I saw it floating around on eBay up until about 8-10 years ago; and it's one of a very few Star bodies that have a Tele neck rout. The neck plate has also floated around eBay as well.

Last edited by LouieAtienza; 12-24-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I have no stories to share, but as a former owner of a ‘58 Strat for many years, I’m quite interested in vintage electrics and enjoy reading about their history just for interest sake.
I believe there is a story that EVH's original white/black stripe Frankenstrat was actually a '58 Strat. There is a picture somewhere of Eddie with a black '58 Strat with a 1-hum pickguard somewhere, but I lost all my collected "pics" with my computer crash of '07 LOL.... maybe someone didn't want me to have that ol' evidence...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars