The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-10-2017, 04:06 PM

Default ship of fools - Lewis

One of the best things about the AGF is the friendships formed among those of us who hang out here. For me, one such friend is ship of fools, also known as Lewis. He joined us back in 2005, and over the course of his 2,000 or so posts and a number of PMs, we became trusted friends, even though we didn't always agree on everything. He's definitely one of the Good Guys.

He's going through some high seas these days, and I'm sure would appreciate your prayers, thoughts, good vibrations, etc. He's given me permission to share this PM that I received from him today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools
typing is getting more and more difficult as I fall apart more and more but other then that in decent spirits boy I knew guitar was a big part of my life but dang wish he had taken something else away from me instead of my music miss playing everyday .
I see the big changes on the forum not really the same atmosphere there as it use to be but who knows growth is growth later my friend. louis
as for sharing I have no problem with that it is what the big guy has given me
I know enough about his situation to know that typing this took a supreme effort, so hear his heart without being critical of his lack of punctuation or capitalization. Though posting is quite difficult, Lewis occasionally looks in on this community. It's hard, though, because it makes him miss being able to play even more. Still, I'm sure your words of encouragement would be appreciated.

cotten
Old 07-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Wow, that's too bad. Thanks for sharing Lewis' words, John.

Ship, take care man! We truly hope whatever health issues you're dealing with, that you win the battle, can get back to playing guitar like you love to, and hang-out here as you can.

Fight the good fight!
Old 07-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing ship. (And John)

I too consider ship a friend-he is, and always will be one of the good guys.
In his many posts that I was ever privy to, he was thoughtful and kind. Direct when need be, but never in a malicious manner.
I miss you ship. I do understand your struggles. You will always have a friend here.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 07-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, John. I miss Ship. I'm glad he pm'd you; I know it's hard for him to type.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-11-2017, 07:31 PM

Thanks, Tom, Mark, and Jim. I know your words will warm Lewis' heart.

cotten
Old 07-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Musical minimalist

Fair Seas and Following Winds, Ship - you hang in there......

Old 07-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I am so sorry to hear that. My best wishes go out to Ship.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:24 PM

Lewis, sorry to hear you're not able to play. I'm sure it's very frustrating. Hopefully the nonsense on the AGF is keeping you entertained. If not let us know! Take care.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:09 AM

Lewis, take care of yourself! It's great to hear from you.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:59 AM

I've asked Lewis to keep me updated, knowing full well what a huge task this is for him now. Typing is a slow, one finger at a time process for him, so I really appreciate it when he makes the effort. I received this message from him today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools
unfortunately things are going down hill but I try every day to keep smiling some days its very hard but must for the family miss playing something aweful or just doing daily things but when the grandkids come is joyous. boy this place has really gone down to many nah sayyers instead of enjoying playing they just dont know how lucky they are do they how are you doing with all those big changes that you have had oh those simple times do I miss later my friend
My reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten
Hi, Louis! I was hoping to hear from you soon. It helps my prayer life! Thanks for making the effort. I'll share your post with your AGF friends, and you have many! I appreciate your struggle to keep smiling - it's good for you and those around you, even it it's difficult. I have two granddaughters, 10 and 7, and I know what you mean about the joy they bring! The AGF may well be going through a "down" cycle, but there are still a lot of great people here. I try to focus on that, as you do on smiling. Me? I am too blessed to be stressed, my friend, and that's not just a silly cliché. I get to enjoy many of the things I love... (Editing some comments on religion that are inappropriate here.) Blessings, my friend!

John
Lewis does feel like reading here, occasionally, and I know he would appreciate your words of encouragement.

cotten
Old 08-22-2017, 12:23 PM

Best wishes to you, Ship. I have two grandkids myself. I know what joy they can bring!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 08-22-2017, 12:28 PM

Best wishes Lewis...lots of folks here pulling for you.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Louis/Ship,

I came to the forum fairly recently, and have found much community and caring here, despite the occasional negativity/sarcasm/whining. Your messages remind us that we have a lot to be thankful for every day we can strum our guitars.

From what I read you had a big role in creating this atmosphere that allows us to share our passion and receive encouragement from like minded folks. I thank you for that gift, commend you on your attitude in the face of struggle, and wish you well in your journey. I hope you keep reading the forum enjoy the good parts that you helped to build!
Old 08-24-2017, 07:05 AM

Hi Ship...
I offer you my best words of encouragement.
You have obviously made friends here. They think of you and you have affected their lives in a positive way. Think about that often. It means you matter. There is nothing better.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Louis,
don't underestimate the many times you have blessed us all with insights, wisdom and just play common sense (it's not as common as we'd all wish!). Know that you are cared for and prayed for that you will be well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic