The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

"Parlor" is now a generic term that has come to mean: a smaller guitar. Smaller than what?

My take on it is a true parlor guitar has a smaller proportion to it, like the maker made the upper and lower bouts narrower. From that perspective, the GSmini is a smaller guitar, but not a parlor. But, it is darn comfortable to play while sitting on the couch, AND sounds good. The Mini has its admirers and detractors here - it is a personal thing (just like all guitar purchases)... I think the Mini is a fun guitar. I have played out with mine, and hauled it thousands of miles by land and water. It taught me that I actually prefer a smaller body size (Taylor's GC vs the GA or larger).

Yes, there are parlor guitars that have a cutaway. If you want to see a good comparison on "What is a parlor?", look at RainSong's Shorty (about the same size as a Taylor Grand Concert), then compare it to the RainSong Parlor. You will immediately see the difference in body size, even though the neck size/scale is the same. That is that narrower proportion I mentioned earlier.

Shop around. Find what fits you. Some scales on smaller guitars get too small to be comfortable for me. I find the 24.75" down to 23.5" scale length to be more comfortable for me than the more typical 25.5" length.

YMMV
Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 PM

One is a toy guitar and the other is even worse.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-09-2016, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Thanks. Now I have the definitive answer! You obviously have never played a great parlor.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
a great parlor.
I think that's a perfect example of an oxymoron.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-09-2016, 02:57 PM

Isn't preference subjective?
We all like different music and different sounds. When I first got my mini I thought it sounded rough and after tinkering with it myself, took it to my Luthier. He played it and declared it perfect. And my goodness it sounded perfect when he played it. Now my aim is to sound as good as him.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucebubs View Post
one is a toy guitar and the other is even worse.

.........🙄
Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
Thanks. Now I have the definitive answer! You obviously have never played a great parlor.

A great parlor

Old 06-15-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
OK guys, I could probably figure this out by searching the forum, Google, etc...but is the GS Mini smaller than a parlor, typically?

Thanks
I think of a GS Mini as a travel guitar, not a parlor. Great sound in a portable package for not a lot of money. The very short scale and narrow nut leave room for improvement.

A "true" parlor is more traditionally a Martin size 2 guitar or smaller (around a 12" lower bout). The size 2 was a "ladies" guitar, and typically used in a parlor. At one time, an 0 (with a 13 1/2" lower bout) was a "concert" guitar. A size 1 was a "standard", with a 12 1/2" bout. They all had normal nut widths and scale lengths around 24 3/4" (they varied by model and era).

Now parlor is less defined. Goodall's parlor is 00 sized. Froggy's parlor has an elongated body. The L is a bit smaller, but larger than the size 1 it was based on. Larrivee's parlor is probably aptly named. Generally, they're 0 sized guitars or smaller - usually 12 fret. Whether or not they're a "parlor" just depends on what the manufacturer (or seller) calls it.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
OK guys, I could probably figure this out by searching the forum, Google, etc...but is the GS Mini smaller than a parlor, typically?

Thanks
I don't have the source but I've heard term Parlor came about because these smaller body guitars were typically played at merchants. It's hard to imagine today, but in the late 1800's the phonograph was still a new invention and in the early days of the industrial age they weren't easy to get. No radio. No music industry. No recorded music. Piano's with automatic roll were available but expensive. Some merchants would allow a musician to play in the front or back of the store/parlor. The guitar was the perfect instrument for this.

Originally all guitars Martin produced were smaller body 0 & 00 sizes we classify today as Parlor. The 000 wasn't introduced until 1902 and the Dreadnought in 1916 (happy birthday Dreadnought) We reserve the the Parlor label for guitars based on the body style, scale length and nut width of those early designs. The GS Mini is an excellent little guitar. Like a good Parlor it is louder than you would expect it to be for its size, but it has a modern design so I don't think of it as a Parlor.

Intonation on every GS Mini I've tested has been spot on, factory setup is also usually very good (both attributes common to all Taylor guitars). Unlike the Big Baby and 114ce, the GS Mini has scalloped X bracing with Taylor's relief route. Here's an explanation from Taylor's website "Our patented relief rout is a tone-enhancing voicing technique in which a groove is carved along the inside edges of the top. This groove is similar in function to the re-curve on a violin — it “loosens up” the edges of the top, generating extra flexibility without sacrificing structural integrity. We first began using this groove in 2002. The result is increased bass and volume with a balanced tone." So it's kind of a big deal and the GS Mini is the only guitar Taylor produces under $1500 that has it.

The GS Mini (hog) is the only guitar I've sold off only to buy again years later. I would go so far as to say it's probably the most innovative guitar we've seen in the past few decades, because of the overall value of everything you get.

To compare it to the Big Baby (since that has been mentioned), The Big Baby is a dread style guitar and it's a tad larger than the Martin Dread Jr (the GS Mini is a tad smaller than the Martin Dread Jr). Big Baby has a bit more bass and is a bit better for open position chording. GS Mini has incredible punchy mid-range and great sustain. Great for finger style play. Not too shabby at strumming those open chords either. Especially considering how much smaller it is than the Big Baby.

GS Mini in action

And a few reviews

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 06-15-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:35 PM

Don't really have anything to say about the guitars in this discussion, but, for some reason, when talk about Big Baby's comes up I always think of Fretkillr, even though I'm not exactly sure that is what he play a lot of songs with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NmG19c4CHg

It sounds good in his hands whatever it is.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:44 PM

And then fretkillr on a parlor of some sort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPyF7zTVOEA

Turns out to be an interesting comparison after all.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
When you say "short scale" - how short. Any more - "short" scale seems to mean shorter than Martin's 25.34" scale... So a J45 has a "short scale" at 24 3/4"

Compare this against the standard old Stella with a 24.1" scale or the old "student" guitars which ran 19"-23"..... You get the idea.

One thing I ink is really a ball of fun is a lightly built well made little guitar with a 21" to 23" scale strung with medium strings. Fast and Fun fun fun. The only thing is that light strings don't take enough tension - so they are floppy and take a fairly tall action so they don't buzz. You either have to run mediums or heavies if you don't want a bunch of buzzing at comfortable action heights.

In terms of cutaway.... If you have the money - they have the time

Thanks
j45 is short scale
Old 01-22-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island texan View Post
I just don't get the GS Mini. Did my best to like it but it's just too dinky for me. Bought a Big Baby instead based on the bigger soiund. I can overlook the funky neck's appearance. My parlour is a cedar top Art & Lutherie which feels totally unlike either of the above Taylor's. Parlours are a pleasure to hold and play.

How about some feedback on your Art & Lutherie parlor. Do you like it? I’m looking at their Tennessee Red parlor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion