The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackguy View Post
Yes, it was a great and unexpected Christmas present. He has a pretty large inventory of Martins, as he went on a buying spree a few years ago. He gave my brother a D76 for Christmas this year (one of the 1975 build, as my brother was born in 1975). This and his "America's Guitar" have always been my favorites, and for plain ol playability I think I prefer the 2R. I'm always a little nervous with the Americas Guitar knowing how rare and "special" it is.

Trying to find out how many total of the 2R were made, from what I find there were definitely less than 1000, but I'm getting conflicting numbers between around 600 and 800.

This one was made in 1991, and Martin shows the model launch was 1992, so it's pretty early in the production.
Congrats! I've never heard of the "2R" version below. I won't be home until tomorrow but the Martin Technical Reference book states the production numbers for all models for each year. I'll look it up tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

This is an old thread...but I'm looking at a '94/'95 HD-28 2R for a possible buy. It has had a crack behind the bridge (as is common), but has been professionally repaired.

My question is to someone who knows about these apparently pretty rare HD-28's...is the nut width 1.75" or the normal 1 & 11/16"? My hands are pretty used to the wider nut.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-22-2018, 03:17 PM

In Fall, 1993, I purchased a mint, barely used HD-282R. It was the best Martin I ever owned (and I've had probably 10 or 11 Martins over the years). I kept it for seven years and traded it toward a very expensive Goodall, which I also eventually sold just last year. I later much regretted having to sell/trade the HD-282R for the purchase of the Goodall -- not because of any disappointment in the Goodall -- just because that particular model of Martin, with its slightly larger soundhole, was just a fabulous, resonant yet clear-as-a-bell guitar. Wish I could locate another one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion