The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-21-2018, 11:47 AM

Default Is the band Rush done?

Alex Lifeson reported to the Globe and Mail last week that Rush is done. No plans for another tour, no plans to record again. I think the band alluded to this a year ago.

Three very talented individuals, each with their own style which sets them apart from their piers.

Are you a Rush fan?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...ticle37620762/
Old 01-21-2018, 11:53 AM
Musical minimalist

I didn't hear them until All The World's a Stage came out - when I dropped the needle I was hooked. Was in a classic rock band and we did some of their more "listenable" (to a wide ranging audience) tunes.

Saw them live probably 7-8 times between '77 and '81......always pressed up against the barricade in the front row - AMAZING musical talents.

I "lost" them after Grace Under Pressure - felt like they were taking a different turn.

But 2112, Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres are the meat of it for me. Caress of Steel has it's moments too, and Permanent Waves.

Soundtrack of my youth....

Old 01-21-2018, 12:22 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Rush is like a bottle of wine from some little town in Burgandy. It would be a shame if the winery never corked another bottle.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Huge fan here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
...snip...
Saw them live probably 7-8 times between '77 and '81......always pressed up against the barricade in the front row - AMAZING musical talents. ...snip...

But 2112, Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres are the meat of it for me. Caress of Steel has it's moments too, and Permanent Waves.

Ditto! I too, literally, saw them 7-8 times between '77 and '81 (at venues in Cleveland and Pittsburgh).

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 01-21-2018, 01:07 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Huge fan here.

Ditto! I too, literally, saw them 7-8 times between '77 and '81 (at venues in Cleveland and Pittsburgh).
For less than 10 bucks too, right?

Old 01-21-2018, 01:09 PM

I saw Rush play a Cattle Market over here in UK in 1979. We waded through straw and endured the lingering aroma of the day-time 'residents' but Rush's performance left a lifelong impression on my mind.

Great band with great sense of humour. They even popped up on the TV show 'Chicago Fire' which was fun.

This article from August last year suggests Geddy and Alex might do something but that Neal has had to give in to the rigours of his job.
https://www.axs.com/rush-s-geddy-lee...ithout--122345

This is one of my favourite Youtube videos. Alex Lifeson is priceless in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61eu-KyijQE&t=8s

YouTube
Old 01-21-2018, 01:23 PM

I liked them a lot early on. I liked their rawness and musicianship in its simplistic form.
In the latter years they got a little to "Pop" sounding.
Still great musicianship, just lost interest I guess.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-21-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I didn't hear them until All The World's a Stage came out - when I dropped the needle I was hooked. Was in a classic rock band and we did some of their more "listenable" (to a wide ranging audience) tunes.

Saw them live probably 7-8 times between '77 and '81......always pressed up against the barricade in the front row - AMAZING musical talents.

I "lost" them after Grace Under Pressure - felt like they were taking a different turn.

Wow, very similar story except I've never seen them live - they've never toured Australia.
Totally agree with your album choice too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-21-2018, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

I was fortunate enough to see them twice - 2010 at the Minnesota State Fair, and again in 2015 in St. Paul, on the final R40 tour.

Both were among the best live shows I've ever seen - though by 2015, it was pretty obvious Geddy's voice was shot. I was sad to see that Neil Peart had decided to call it quits, but all good things must come to an end.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-21-2018, 07:11 PM

Thread put me on a video trip down Rush memory lane. Thanks. Great band.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I was fortunate enough to see them twice - 2010 at the Minnesota State Fair, and again in 2015 in St. Paul, on the final R40 tour.

Both were among the best live shows I've ever seen - though by 2015, it was pretty obvious Geddy's voice was shot. I was sad to see that Neil Peart had decided to call it quits, but all good things must come to an end.
Neil played, even in the last couple of years, with a very powerful technique that really can take its toll on the joints and connective tissues. Sirius Radio had a town hall style interview with Alex and Geddy a year or two ago, and they said they found Neil backstage really hurting after some shows the last couple of tours.

I've been a big Rush fan for years, but I accept their decision. 40 years is a great run for any band.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-22-2018, 08:31 AM

They've always held the position that Rush was all for one and one for all. Unless all are on-board for a project, touring for example, none would do it. They are mid-60's and have expressed for years, Neil especially, that the touring was beating them to death. He's tired and exhausted after lugging all those drums around.... no, it's from the playing.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:35 AM

Rush is one of the many bands that, on paper, I should like...but I don't.

Of course, playing drums for over 20 years, I'm also supposed to have a Neil Peart idol in my house somewhere. There was this guy I used to go to church with who I would visit from time to time, and EVERY time I would go over, he'd force me to watch Neil Peart's drum solo. Ugh. I'm not a fan of drum solos either.

I really appreciate the musical ability they bring to the table, and I'm happy that they have inspired a lot of people to pick up an instrument. I really, really want to like Rush, but I just can't. I understand why people like them though.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post

Of course, playing drums for over 20 years, I'm also supposed to have a Neil Peart idol in my house somewhere. There was this guy I used to go to church with who I would visit from time to time, and EVERY time I would go over, he'd force me to watch Neil Peart's drum solo. Ugh. I'm not a fan of drum solos either.

I really appreciate the musical ability they bring to the table, and I'm happy that they have inspired a lot of people to pick up an instrument. I really, really want to like Rush, but I just can't. I understand why people like them though.
Nothing wrong with that - the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same thing.

But worse than that - we would never get tickets for the shows

YouTube
Old 01-22-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post

I "get" what you're saying, although I do like Rush. Not to change subjects, but for me, your description applies to my take on Eric Clapton. I've just never clicked with his playing. Unfortunately, I've never seen Rush live and, from the looks of things, never will. I've always like their down to Earth nature and the way they've appreciated their fans.

IG
2014 Shippey Oval Hole Mandolin
2016 Martin HD28.
Schertler Jam 150 amp.
Neumann TLM 102 mic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic