The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2018, 10:02 AM

Default 10 Day Guitar Challenge

Today at 11am mountain time starts Tony Polecastro's 10 Day Guitar Challenge. Anybody on board?
I dig this guy and the TAC team so much I had to sign up for this.
I haven't seen much said about Tony's Acoustic Challenge show on the AC Forum. Is he not popular here? I think he is one of guitars best advocates right now.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I just signed up for the 10 Day Challenge but I can't do it live as I work. I have enjoyed Tony's lessons and how he has created a community of support for a lot of players. One of my New Year's resolutions is to create more time for my music and practicing so I will be taking more advantage of the TAC opportunities moving forward.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-22-2018, 10:20 AM

Me too, Jayne!
Old 01-22-2018, 10:36 AM

I'll be checking it out.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:02 AM

I've signed up. I have Tony's 51 songs from "the vault" as well. He is very inspirational and genuine with a passion to teach others.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:21 AM

I signed up. Just waiting, warming up...
Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Yep, I’m a TAC member. Loved his “Frerboard Wizard” music theory course and various other lessons I’ve taken on his site. Signed up for the 10 Day Practice thing...but like Jayne will have to watch the taped episodes when I have time.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 AM

I tried, but I don't do facebook, so I'm out.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:18 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I tried, but I don't do facebook, so I'm out.
Replays of the episodes are also available on YouTube after the live Facebook session is over.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 01-23-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Default 10 day challange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I haven't seen much said about Tony's Acoustic Challenge show on the AC Forum. Is he not popular here? I think he is one of guitars best advocates right now.
Tony has gotten some good press here on the forum. However, the vast majority of AGF's members are older dudes. Many of us have been playing longer than Tony has been alive. In my opinion, Tony is an OK player, but certainly not someone many of us would aspire to. His appearance with the hair, scraggy beard, and tattoos appeal to a different demographic, and I think that is the audience he is looking to connect with.

As far as being one of guitars best advocates, I would say he is Tony Polecastros' best advocate. Good for him! He has found a way to make a living doing something he loves in the music industry, which is no small feat in todays' environment. I fully support his entrepreneurial spirit.

As a final thought, I'm not attempting to trash TP or his endeavors. But, if it takes a challenge for you to play 10 days in a row, maybe your desire to play isn't particularly strong.

Let the flaming begin.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:09 AM

I'm doing the 10 Day Challenge. Tony's approach is very cool. He is more about being a "Guitar Geek" rather than the stick in the mud "do it this way, not that way" guy. It is more like a hang out with some buddies and jam and talk guitar/music related items.

And yes, he aims for beginners and people stuck in ruts. He even states he is not here to play "face melting" guitar, but rather a more laid back approach. I think he is a better player than many think he is. I've seen where people talk trash about his reviews because he plays the same songs over and over, but I think that is brilliant. If you hear the same tune on each guitar, you can pick up the differences easier. Can go back years and do a side by side to a review released this week.

I've read some reviews and comments where he has gotten people to play for the first time or to rediscover playing after giving it up. And maybe for some of the older crowd that has been playing for a long time, he might not offer anything new for them in the stuff that is free on line. But I invite you to check out his show "Acoustic Tuesday" on YouTube. It is not a guitar class, but rather a hang out with his buddies and talk about guitar/music related things. That is separate from "Tony's Acoustic Challenge" (TAC).

Sure he isn't for everyone, but who is?
Old 01-23-2018, 09:10 AM

Love Tony and I'm not sporting a beard nor tats! Seems like a really decent guy who adores everything acoustic. I wish I was as good a player as Tony. I signed up, but won't be able to participate because of this teaching gig I've got. Maybe I'll check them out on Utube.

Scott
Old 01-23-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post

As a final thought, I'm not attempting to trash TP or his endeavors. But, if it takes a challenge for you to play 10 days in a row, maybe your desire to play isn't particularly strong.

Or maybe people have other commitments, family, work, etc, that make it difficult.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
Tony has gotten some good press here on the forum. However, the vast majority of AGF's members are older dudes. Many of us have been playing longer than Tony has been alive. In my opinion, Tony is an OK player, but certainly not someone many of us would aspire to. His appearance with the hair, scraggy beard, and tattoos appeal to a different demographic, and I think that is the audience he is looking to connect with.

As far as being one of guitars best advocates, I would say he is Tony Polecastros' best advocate. Good for him! He has found a way to make a living doing something he loves in the music industry, which is no small feat in todays' environment. I fully support his entrepreneurial spirit.

Let the flaming begin.
His appearance? I don't judge someone by how they look, or make assumptions about appealing to a 'demographic' according to how scraggy their beard is! Good lord...
I'm 65, bald, wear glasses and recently left a band playing classic rock. What would my appearance tell you about me if I passed you in the street? Nothing, that's what. My male doctor has long hair, wears jeans and bracelets, and likes AC/DC...

Last edited by AndrewG; 01-23-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:19 AM

Beards & Tats? Meet John Cooper from the Christian Rock band Skillet.

Last edited by jwellsy; 01-23-2018 at 10:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion