The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-21-2018, 07:25 AM

Question Bridge Plate Damage. Options?

Hi,

I decided to put my camera inside my guitar and take some pictures this morning. Everything looks ok, except for I'm pretty sure this isn't a normal looking bridge plate:

I know there is the Mitchell's Plate Mate thing, but I'm not too keen on putting metal over my bridge plate. What are the other options? Or maybe this is normal? Guitar sounds and plays fine, but I'm assuming if I leave this as is something bad will happen eventually.

Thanks for your help,

JT

Last edited by jtbowlin; 01-21-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:40 AM

Looks kind of normal to me. Drilled from above the bit breaks through and you get some wood fibers breaking rather than being cut through. If you had damage on the side of the hole where the string normally is I would feel a little different.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Looks kind of normal to me. Drilled from above the bit breaks through and you get some wood fibers breaking rather than being cut through. If you had damage on the side of the hole where the string normally is I would feel a little different.
Thanks for your reply. No, it looks completely undamaged inside of the hole or from the top.

What you are saying makes sense, but does the damage to the wood not impact the tone? Or just not noticeable?
Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Guest 1928

First, that's a bridge plate, not a bridge. You might want to change your thread title to reflect that.

As noted, that tear out happens when the holes are drilled without a backer. It's a bit sloppy, but I've seen it on some very expensive guitars. It doesn't thrill me, but it's unlikely to cause future problems. It's possible to fit patches in those spots and level them so that the issue disappears, but it's not worth the effort in most cases.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
First, that's a bridge plate, not a bridge. You might want to change your thread title to reflect that.

As noted, that tear out happens when the holes are drilled without a backer. It's a bit sloppy, but I've seen it on some very expensive guitars. It doesn't thrill me, but it's unlikely to cause future problems. It's possible to fit patches in those spots and level them so that the issue disappears, but it's not worth the effort in most cases.
Thanks for the info. I've updated the title. While I'm disappointed such a nice guitar has this underneath, it's good to know that it's nothing major. I might just try to clean it up a bit by removing the splintered wood.

I'm assuming replacing a bridge plate is a pretty substantial job? I mean, I wouldn't try it myself, but for a luthier / repairer?
Old 01-21-2018, 02:58 PM

I use home-made plate savers, for example:

They are much smaller and lighter than the Stewmac Plate Mate, and quite possibly the Mitchel version. I like what little effect they might (it could be in my mind) have on tone.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:57 PM

Typically common from poor hand skills or in attention by the person when drilling the holes.

The bridge plate can be removed and replaced - big job

Alternatively you can locally repair each location with a graft and redrill the hole - comes up extremely well

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-22-2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Alternatively you can locally repair each location with a graft and redrill the hole - comes up extremely well
Thanks for the reply. Would filling and re-drilling have no noticeable impact on sound?
Old 01-22-2018, 02:20 AM

Whilst I am sure it could be scientifically measured, you or I would never hear a difference IMO.

It just simply adds piece of mind to you.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-22-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbowlin View Post
Thanks for the reply. Would filling and re-drilling have no noticeable impact on sound?
The others have got your answers you need.

And, if you did try to repair this (which is not worth fretting about, IMO, since thousands of guitars are just the same), it would have no effect on tone if repaired with wood.

Do a search on slotted bridges. You may like that option. Still needs to be done by someone skilled, otherwise it can be left sloppier than your present bridge plate.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-22-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Whilst I am sure it could be scientifically measured, you or I would never hear a difference IMO.

It just simply adds piece of mind to you.

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
The others have got your answers you need.

And, if you did try to repair this (which is not worth fretting about, IMO, since thousands of guitars are just the same), it would have no effect on tone if repaired with wood.

Do a search on slotted bridges. You may like that option. Still needs to be done by someone skilled, otherwise it can be left sloppier than your present bridge plate.
Thanks for your help. I think I understand what I need to understand now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair