The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-15-2018, 06:10 AM

I have no life, so I watched every second of all four games. Interesting that what emerged from this weekend's play were three previously unheralded teams with strong defenses and fairly average quarterbacks. Honestly, who had Minneapolis, Philadelphia and Jacksonville as their pre-season picks? Most of the great quarterbacks are out. Only Brady is left, and it looks like Jacksonville could give him trouble.

Last edited by AX17609; 01-15-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:25 AM

That Jacksonville D will absolutely give Brady and his O-line fits. And then the Pats will adjust. Nobody does in-game adjustments better than Belichick. It will be tight, 3 points either way. That -13 line is unrealistic.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The only thing I can think of is that he was ducking down so he wouldn't get called for spearing with his helmet and get called for pounding a "defenseless receiver." A defensive penalty would have stopped the clock and give them another 15 yards on top of the catch.
Watching the replay several times, it's clear to me he was dodging the receiver, presumably to avoid a penalty. The refs had been weird in their Pass Interference calls all night, and he definitely got to the receiver early. He then contorted to avoid contact, maybe thinking PI, maybe thinking spearing, either of which would have put the Vikes in solid field goal range. I'm not sure what exactly he was thinking, but it wasn't simply a whiff.

I was just in the middle of my "Too bad for the Vikings, but what a great comeback by the Saints" speech when that happened. It's fun not really following footbal or having a favorite team, so I can get excited no matter who wins
• AGF-only discounts
• Free Shipping + Free Returns
• Shoreline Rewards
• Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 01-15-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
That Jacksonville D will absolutely give Brady and his O-line fits. And then the Pats will adjust. Nobody does in-game adjustments better than Belichick. It will be tight, 3 points either way. That -13 line is unrealistic.
I agree about the line. I just think game planning is going to be an issue, because Jacksonville is a bit of an unknown quantity. They have no history, and no one thought they'd win. With Tom Caughlin at the helm, they look a little like the Giants of a few years ago with a rabid defense and shaky offense.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, the Jax D is good and might give Brady trouble for a while, but the Jax D seems to be weak against screens watch is, as you know, a NE staple. I agree it could be hard for Brady as we've seen in the past, but I don't think it's assured as so many think. We (NE), have almost our full compliment of weapons on offense for the first time in a long time: Brady, Gronk, Lewis, White, Burkhead, Cooks, Amedola, and Hogan (and perhaps even Mitchell). Lewis, White, and Burkhead will be dangerous in the screen and short pass game. I expect the Pats to use them a lot in the early going to soften the D up. Also, Bill B. is a master of saving plays for the playoffs if needed.

Also, don't forget the Pats D has been playing as well as the Jax D the second half of the season. The Jax offense is really suspect, especially if Fornett isn't 100%. Who knows if Jax can score much on the Pats.

I wouldn't be that surprised if it's close, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's fairly easy for NE after a quarter or so.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-15-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
This would be the same Jacksonville defense that allowed a lackluster Steelers offense to score 42 points? Hmmmm...

Seriously, when I watched the game, I saw a Steelers team which was NOT committed to doing what it took to win. Running backs accepting a tackle rather than putting down a shoulder and fighting for a few more yards. Wide receivers cruising out of bounds untouched rather than trying to cut upfield for more yards. They just didn't seem to want it that bad.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M123 View Post
This would be the same Jacksonville defense that allowed a lackluster Steelers offense to score 42 points? Hmmmm...

Seriously, when I watched the game, I saw a Steelers team which was NOT committed to doing what it took to win. Running backs accepting a tackle rather than putting down a shoulder and fighting for a few more yards. Wide receivers cruising out of bounds untouched rather than trying to cut upfield for more yards. They just didn't seem to want it that bad.
Roethlisberger had something like 370 and 4TDs. Any other day they win. Think their defense missed a leader like Harrison? To the enemies nonetheless...
Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I agree about the line. I just think game planning is going to be an issue, because Jacksonville is a bit of an unknown quantity. They have no history, and no one thought they'd win. With Tom Caughlin at the helm, they look a little like the Giants of a few years ago with a rabid defense and shaky offense.
It's going to be a chuck fest. And Brady and co. will pass-interference their way in to the end zone, if the wheels don't come off their bus...
Old 01-16-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
OMG.
OMG.
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
OMG
I think that sums up that final play. Brings true the meaning of "gotta play the full 60 minutes".
Old 01-17-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M123 View Post

Exactly, along with turning the ball over twice. The INT was a thing of beauty though on a throw that wasn't quite on the mark, and Ben's fumble was on the O Line not covering his blind side. My biggest beef though is with their play calling on 4th and short and of course turning to desperate "gadget" plays and foolish use of timeouts in order to shoot themselves in the foot with regards to clock management.

Seriously, Ben is a tall guy and a seriously tough contender who is able to break tackles even if his mobility is not what it once was. On 4th and inches he should be able to do a QB sneak instead of a shovel pass to a back. If the O line is making enough of a gap he should just punch it in himself. Instead, he comes back on the radio yesterday and says "there's no call for that to make at the line." BS. That's just dumping in on the coaches and hoping they don't come back next year. I wouldn't be surprised if these poorly considered time outs weren't because of arguments on play calling over the headset.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the Steelers made it to 42 points and that the combined score was TWICE what Vegas projected it to be. Their heads weren't in the game until halftime. Next year they need to learn to play the full 60 minutes. Tick tock.

As for all the social media nonsense and running their mouths before the game. That's on Tomlin. I'm surprised he hasn't been called on the carpet in front of the owners for it. There are a few offenders who I'd like to see gone. I don't feel like Tomlin is one of them, but when a ship survives troubled waters and an inquiry held the captain is usually the guy to take the fall.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Roethlisberger had something like 370 and 4TDs. Any other day they win. Think their defense missed a leader like Harrison? To the enemies nonetheless...
Nope, but if they had faced Harrison next week they'd have regretted not giving him the play time they'd promised. He was a healthy scratch for most of the season; he was promised something like 25% of the snaps. They were just stringing him along in case one of the younger LBs got hurt, and when Shazier went down even then they didn't turn to Deebo. In fact, they cut him. I'd be surprised if he didn't make them pay for that on the gridiron.

Personally, I think Harrison is going to get another ring and could care less if he doesn't retire as a Steeler.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:10 PM

"The Patriots' Super Bowl path is the easiest in modern NFL history". Front page of ESPN. No team has faced worse teams than Tennessee and Jacksonville on the way to the Super Bowl. I'm sure Pittsburgh didn't think Jacksonville was easy.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

This is an interesting situation. I have never really been involved in sports, but have been reading this thread and catching some of what you folks get excited about.

I live 5.4 miles from the U.S. Bank Stadium (a 15 minute drive), according to google maps. I go past the stadium several times a week, but never paid much attention until now. My street is the main route into the city, and especially to the stadium, from the north. So I figured I should at least have a sense of what will be going on in a few weeks.

So, thanks for this thread, and carry on...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-18-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
This is an interesting situation. I have never really been involved in sports, but have been reading this thread and catching some of what you folks get excited about.

I live 5.4 miles from the U.S. Bank Stadium (a 15 minute drive), according to google maps. I go past the stadium several times a week, but never paid much attention until now. My street is the main route into the city, and especially to the stadium, from the north. So I figured I should at least have a sense of what will be going on in a few weeks.

So, thanks for this thread, and carry on...

Tony
Exciting times in Minnesota for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic