The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-15-2018, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Fret saw blades

Does anyone have another source alternative to the StewMac 6" fret slotting saw blade. I know it's a speciality blade, but $115 + seems high. Also, do you send yours out for sharpening, do it yourself, or have to buy a new blade when it becomes dull? Average number of fret boards before it's dull?

Old 01-16-2018, 12:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

LMI’s similar blade is $55. Walton’s Saw in San Rafael can sharpen them. The StewMac version will cut over 100 fingerboard.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
Also, do you send yours out for sharpening, do it yourself, or have to buy a new blade when it becomes dull?
I resharpen as required.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-16-2018, 12:46 AM

IIRC, the Stew Mac blade has stiffeners built in, whereas with the LMI blade, they're separate. But I don't think hardware store 5$ stiffeners are the right size for the LMI blade to leave the right amount exposed, so you need to buy their custom sized stiffeners, but only the first time. Which is around the same price as Stew Mac's blade, but when you replace it you can buy the blade alone.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
LMI’s similar blade is $55. Walton’s Saw in San Rafael can sharpen them. The StewMac version will cut over 100 fingerboard.
Thanks Bruce. I did look at LMI first. They advertise their blade calling for a pair of stiffeners, which cost way more than the blade. StewMac's blade is milled with thicker stock that reduces to the proper thickness as it nears the teeth. Overall more cost with LMI. Do you use an LMI blade without the stiffeners? I do have a nice dado set with heavy plates that I could substitute. Although smaller on dia. by about an inch.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

That I know the StewMac blade will cut over 100 FBs is a big clue re what I use. That’s just over $1 a fingerboard if you throw the blade away when it’s over. . . Plus shipping unless you’re in the new StewMax program.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:04 PM

I use .023" slotting blades from Thurston Mfg. which run a bit over $10 each, but they are a smaller diameter.

I use a different saw setup, which can be seen in post #11 here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=482260

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair