The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 PM

Default Buzz on 12th fret

This may have been addressed in previous thread but was unable to find it in a search. I have an acoustic guitar hand made by a local luthier here in Eastern Virginia. Solid Rock Guitars. It is a dreadnought replica similar to Neil Young's Hank Williams Sr. guitar. Beautiful guitar and plays great!!
The issue i'm having is the high E frets out on the 12th fret, especially when doing a bend. It just started a couple of days ago and was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix the problem?
The guitar is kept in its case when not being played.

Thanks again for any advice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Solid Rock Guitar Dreadnought
Old 01-11-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rals75 View Post
This may have been addressed in previous thread but was unable to find it in a search. I have an acoustic guitar hand made by a local luthier here in Eastern Virginia. Solid Rock Guitars. It is a dreadnought replica similar to Neil Young's Hank Williams Sr. guitar. Beautiful guitar and plays great!!
The issue i'm having is the high E frets out on the 12th fret, especially when doing a bend. It just started a couple of days ago and was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix the problem?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Solid Rock Guitar Dreadnought
First thing I would do is contact your luthier with your concerns and see what he/she recommends, before doing anything...
Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 PM

One cannot underestimate the value of having a luthier look at it for you.

What may take you weeks to diagnose can usually only take seconds for them to identify.

Wood reacts with temperature and humidity changes, sometimes we can adjust a truss rod, tweak a fret and its fixed, other times we have to remove frets deal with underlying issues to resolve the problem.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-12-2018, 07:31 AM

I'm guessing the guitar needs some careful fretwork touchup past the 12th fret...

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 PM

Possibly the high E string is to low to the fret.Can you measure it ?About .070 should help it clear the fret.

"In The Wind"
Old 01-15-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rals75 View Post

Is there a humidifier in the case? Action can drop a bit and cause buzzes when a guitar drys out, and this is the time of year when guitars dry out.
et al
Old 01-16-2018, 12:09 PM

There is not a humidifier in the case and that is something that I have wondered about. I have heard different stories about humidifiers in cases. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a case humidifier?

Thanks again for all the input and everyone's help

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair