The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-28-2015, 11:24 AM

Default Affordable nylon Archtop?

Does anyone make an affordable nylon string archtop? By affordable I mean $1500 or less. I've seen some lovely looking and sounding ones but they are all $3500 or above and though I would love to own a dome or other custom nylon archtop that's not in the foreseeable future.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:10 PM

Nylon string archtops are an extremely rare bird, and the domain of independent luthiers. I'm afraid the chances of your finding one in your budget are next to nothing, unfortunately.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:48 PM

I've only ever seen one and have always wanted to try it. So curious what a nylon string archtop might sound like. The one that I saw is made by Steve Grimes in Maui. Unfortunately, it is quite a bit more than the range you specified.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by Livingston; 03-28-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:46 PM

Get in touch with these guys:

http://yunzhiguitar.diytrade.com/

They're probably about the best-kept secret in the archtop world, they make some great-looking-sounding instruments for pocket change (I got a quote last year for a non-cut all-acoustic 18" Super 400/Emperor comp box with a few custom specs - well under $1100 with HSC), and if you can provide them with detailed specs they'll make just about anything - search "Yunzhi Guitars" for previous threads...
Old 03-30-2015, 05:12 AM

Over at the forum of jazzguitar.be there are some guys who purchased guitars from Yunzhi. The contact person is Ms Lora.
These guys had high praise for their dealings with Yunzhi.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

They're probably about the best-kept secret in the archtop world, they make some great-looking-sounding instruments for pocket change (I got a quote last year for a non-cut all-acoustic 18" Super 400/Emperor comp box with a few custom specs - well under $1100 with HSC), and if you can provide them with detailed specs they'll make just about anything - search "Yunzhi Guitars" for previous threads...
Have you heard one?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:28 PM

Not in person but there's a bunch of YouTube vids, a number of which are posted by Matt Raines (who markets them under his own name), and they've gotten some good reviews right here as well; I'm quite impressed, especially for the price - I wouldn't make a suggestion/recommendation to anyone else that I wouldn't try myself, and as I said there's a '40s-style Big Band comp box with my name on it somewhere down the road...
Old 10-05-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. So just to verify, they'll take complete custom orders? I just don't see any nylon archtops on the site.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Emerald made a custom carbon fiber nylon string “Kestrel” for me. It cost about $6500, so probably NOT what your looking for.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=637027

I’m on and off about selling it. It is the guitar that finally absolutely convinced me that EVERY guitar with a body whose upper bout is higher up the neck than the 12th fret will NOT work for me, because I play almost exclusively standing up. EVERY guitar that I have played with an upper bout that meets the neck above the 12th fret is unbalanced for me: The headstock falls down if I am not holding the neck, and I have to slightly twist my back and forcibly adjust the body of the guitar to the right just to play it.

The exception for me is the Parker Nylon Fly, actually an exception, because although the upper about meets the neck of the guitar way above the 12th fret, the arm of the upper bout extends to the 12th fret, and that’s where the strap button is.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:03 PM

try ....
https://guitarrasacusticas.com.mx/

Their specialty are nylons but here's an example of their archtop. Sure they could make you a nylon version within your budget.

https://guitarrasacusticas.com.mx/gu...ctroacusticas/
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 06-14-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:

I got a quote on from then about a year back on an electric archtop, good pricing and great reviews online.
I didn't get the vibe that they have experience or open to the idea of nylon string archtop builds. I'm definitely super interested. Do you know of any spanish archtop builds by them?
Old 06-15-2023, 08:33 AM

Don't know for sure, but it never hurts to ask...
Old 06-30-2023, 09:43 PM

Not a cheap guitar for sure, but during the recording of my Plectrum Guitar solo album, I had the privilege to play Al Valenti's original D'Angelico archtop.

It's the only "classical" model ever built, as it has nylon strings.

Very interesting sound, and very easy to play.

I've listened to Al Valenti's record so many times, it was quite a shock to witness that sound live as soon as I played this wonderful instrument!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops