The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2010, 01:40 PM

Default Looking for a used ~$1300 fingerstyle guitar

Hi all, long time lurker of the forums finally posting.. I'm hoping to get some advice on a "made for fingerstyle" acoustic, bc my Seagull isn't cutting it anymore. I've been researching on this forum and others for a long time but can't find the specific guitar that is what I'm looking for and fits my budget of $1300 (I'm probably asking too much for too little)
I want to be able to play wide variety of fingerstyle with one guitar, styles of Andy Mckee, Dufour and the other candyrat.com artists as well as travis picking, bossa nova, classical etc. SO...

Whats the BEST used instrument I can buy with about $1300 tops?
Would LOVE a custom but obviously I don't have the $$.. Know of any Lakewood/Goodall/Collings or similar medium/high-end used guitars for that low?
-Need guitar that can be tuned low on occasion and still sound healthy.
-Rich overtones and great sustain
-Balanced overall with decent bass.
-Cutaway and/or 14 fret model preferred but not required.
-1 3/4" nut
-Easy to play! frets easy, low action and not too high string tension using medium light strings

Thanks for any ideas!
joe

Last edited by jwlt; 01-03-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:56 PM
HarleySpirit

Hi Joe,
Check out the brand new Waldens. I tried a couple... great for fingerstyle!
All solid woods in your price range... there's a thread about them on this forum right now!
Old 01-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Welcome to the AGF.

Lots of choices mostly in the used market. The Breedlove C25CR Pro Herringbone, to my ear, meets the preferences you listed, although I just sold one it is by far one of the best sounding instruments I have played. It had rich Bass, resonance, and overtones. The neck profile was just a tad thicker than I prefer, but it was still less thick than Seagulls I have played.

A used Martin OM or 000 with rosewood back and sides also meets your list.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:10 PM

A good choice for fingerstyle is the Martin OM-21 which you should be able to find for less than your budget. A better choice in my humble opinion is the Taylor 714 (older non cutaway mode) but you would need to look a little harder to find one at your stated budget.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I bought my Larrivee OM-05 used for under your budget.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
A good choice for fingerstyle is the Martin OM-21 which you should be able to find for less than your budget. A better choice in my humble opinion is the Taylor 714 (older non cutaway mode) but you would need to look a little harder to find one at your stated budget.

+1 on both of these guitars. I used to own a Martin OM21 and currently own a Taylor 714. The Martin is a great all around guitar: fingerstyle, strumming and flatpicking. Just for fingerstyle (99% of my playing) I prefer the 714. Lately I keep it tuned down a half step. It has such a rich, deep voice, especially in open d and g. I used to lean more towards the Martin sound but the 714 made me change my mind about Taylor.
Christian
Old 01-03-2010, 05:22 PM

I know they're not so easy to find in North America, but for the price you quoted you might manage to pick up a second hand Stonebridge grand auditorium (Antoine Dufour used a Stonebridge GS-23-CR in most of his Youtube videos). These and other guitars built by Frantisek Furch in the Czech Republic are outstanding - truly professional guitars for substantially less than you'd expect to pay for an equivalent US-built guitar. I have seen adverts for second hand ones in the US, but I guess it's a big ask!

Otherwise, I too would suggest that you take a look at the top-end all-solid Walden grand auditoriums - in fact, if you went down that route you would be able to buy a new one! The Supranatura GA's - G2070 (cedar/mahogany), G3000 (spruce/rosewood) and G3030 (cedar/rosewood) are all fabulous guitars with a satin nitrocellulose finish. Alternatively, the CG2010 (Englemann spruce/rosewood) might be better if you prefer a gloss finish. Just shut out any negative thoughts you may have about them being made in China and you are likely to be very pleasantly surprised!

Paul
Old 01-03-2010, 05:30 PM

I bought a mint used Taylor 714 for around that. Great guitar overall and great for fingerstyle.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:05 PM

I forgot about the older 714 and agree it would be one of the best you could find.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 PM

As already mentioned, both the cedar-topped Taylor 714 and the spruce-topped Martin OM-21 would be excellent choices for your needs, and would fit within your budget.

The Larrivée L-03R and OM-03R should also fulfill those needs, and you might even find a discounted new one around your budget. Used, there's no doubt at all you could find one.

As it happens, I've owned all the guitar models I've mentioned here, and I like all of them for their versatility. As it also happens, I've got an exceptionally nice, near-mint Larivée OM-03R with custom electronics in it that I'm not using and might be persuaded to part with.

But, anyway, you've got plenty of options at that price range.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-03-2010, 06:36 PM

Get a Santa Cruz OM or D if you want more base. You might have to search for one at $1300 though. Maybe a used PW.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:54 PM

a taylor 414ce-ltd with rosewood is very nice as well. that's what i have, and i love mine. simple, smooth, and lovely tone.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:56 PM

I've got a Larrivee LV-09RE available in your price range. PM me if interested...
Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM

So many offers. It's ask and you shall receive around here. I've got an earlier Breedlove SC-25 Walnut / Cedar that is very sweet. Signed my Steve Henderson. Great shape just back from Breedlove with some work done.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:24 PM

WOW, I was unsure I would get much of a response not having contributed to the forum before and asking so many questions so thanks for your input! I used to have a 000 Martin that didn't have much bass response although the mids and highs were lush... I've never played a Larrivee but I've been looking at them, reading reviews and listening to as many youtube videos as I can find. No shops around me sell them that I know of..
I've played some Breedlove Atlas series at Guitar Center and they all played very smooth and had decent tone and great build quality, I'm seriously considering the Breedlove Pro C25/CR mentioned above. They sound great on youtube and reviews I've read have nothing bad to say about them for fingerstyle... Also BBWW and Mike S check your PMs Thanks again everyone continue suggestions/offers long as you have them. Boy shopping for a guitar is almost as fun as playing it :]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion