The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-01-2015, 09:14 AM

Default Anyone put Sound Hole PU in Martin 00-17? that fits

I have a 1959 Martin 00-17 and want to put a sound hole pup in. I have tried the following :

1. LR Baggs M1A and it is slightly to large for the hole can be crammed in but sits to close to the middle.

2. Shadow SH145 and it sits up to high and my string when playing about the 9th fret actually hit the pickup. There is no problem with the neck angle or the action on the guitar the shadow pickup top is thicker.

I am looking at maybe the Fishman Rare Earth active humbucker 102 it looks slimmer and they make a point about of it fits a sound hole size as small as 3 5/8".

Your advice recommendations appreciated
Old 04-01-2015, 04:28 PM

👍 on that guitar. Never strummed on a Martin that didn't sound really nice. What about the Neo D? Also, one of the old Bill Lawrence ones I believe fit right into the soundhole without needing to be clamped and there may be few other ones like it. Since its a 59, maybe that would be of some concern.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 PM

RC, I've only personally tried one sound hole pickup currently being manufactured: The Lace California Acoustic. I tried it in a Little Martinn (which has a very small sound hole) through a Fishman Loudbox several years ago at a Guitar Center, and was very favorably impressed. If I needed a pickup today, this one would head my short list. (I have no connection with the maker or any vendor.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini11 View Post
Also, one of the old Bill Lawrence ones I believe fit right into the soundhole without needing to be clamped and there may be few other ones like it. Since its a 59, maybe that would be of some concern.
Aaaaand this is where it gets ugly. I'm a major fan of the sound hole pickups designed and built by the late Bill Lawrence, and I own half a dozen of them, all acquired in 1982 or before. My first, an FT-145, has been in my 1935 0-18 since 1979, and I've had an A-345 in my 1959 0-15 since 1982. They fit just fine, and with the strings I use, for the music I play, they suit my ears perfectly. If you can find an old Lawrence sound hole pickup, by all means go for it.

But you should be aware that post-1984 sound hole pickups with Bill Lawrence's name on them were not made by Bill Lawrence. If you're interested in the unpleasant details, read the claims and disclaimers on the front page of “*Bill Lawrence USA“ (you'll have to scroll to the bottom of the page to see all of them). Then see the late Bill Lawrence's side of the story at this page on billlawrence.com.

The sound hole pickups sold since then by “*Bill Lawrence USA“ have the same model numbers as the pre-1984 Lawrence Sound Research pickups I own, and are cosmetically similar (though in most instances not identical). However, I have never been able to learn anything about where they're made, nor whether they are accurate implementations of Bill Lawrence's designs and quality standards. Caveat emptor.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:42 PM

Absolutely correct on Bill Lawrence. Sadly, he has passed. I am fortunate enough to have a set of his L90s in 2H/4H. This guy was the man that pretty much taught all the others their craft. A TITAN!!
Old 04-02-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini11 View Post
Absolutely correct on Bill Lawrence. Sadly, he has passed. I am fortunate enough to have a set of his L90s in 2H/4H. This guy was the man that pretty much taught all the others their craft. A TITAN!!
I had a set his Keystones in my tele best traditional pups for a Tele you can get.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:37 PM

I got a used Fishman Rare Earth Blend soundhole pickup. It fits real nice and sounds as good as I need it to sound. Easy to install and I am very pleased with the Fishman.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification