The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-28-2015, 09:26 PM

Default My Archtop

The pride of my collection.

1946 Epiphone, model Broadway.

Let's see if I can get this picture thing right.

And the original case with the "E" logo inside the lid.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:23 AM

Very nice piece!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:12 AM

Maybe it's the fact that I was born on Manhattan's Lower East Side (about a mile south of the 14th Street factory) but I've always felt a deep personal connection to those old Epiphones; such was their reputation that my dad used to drop the name regularly when I was a kid - and he wasn't even a player. BTW, had a '46 Blackstone myself back in the '80s/early-90's, same red burst/54000-series serial number, that was cited in the Fisch and Fred book (IMO required reading for anyone who owns/loves old Epis); with a good setup and a set of period-correct heavy-gauge (14-60) strings an old Broadway/Deluxe/Emperor would cut through a 16-piece horn section without amplification - only the Stromberg Master models could go toe-to-toe with them for sheer acoustic volume...

Here's a little something you might find of interest:

http://www.archtop.com/ac_53bwy.html

Use it well, often, and loud...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 03-01-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:36 AM

Unfortunately I'm not playing it right now. The heel of the neck is just beginning to show signs of separating from the body so I don't have any tension on it. I want to have it repaired but I'm afraid to let anyone take it apart. I'm sure there are good luthier's out there I just don't know who to trust it to.

Here's another site that catalogs New York Epi's.

http://wiedler.ch/nyepireg/default.html
Old 03-01-2015, 12:13 PM

It doesn't get any better than that!

For the neck problem, I would certainly trust my local friends at Gryphon Stringed Instruments. Where do you live?

That sweet guitar needs to be played!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 03-01-2015, 12:23 PM

Default Nice....

Congrats to you for owning that Broadway!
What a nice looking top....
Hope you get it up and playable soon.

I'm fond of old Epiphones as well...in fact just brought a '32 Broadway home yesterday. Wasn't looking for one, at least had no thoughts that one would show up anytime soon, but there it was. Well darn.....now I've got another bill to pay!

z
Old 03-01-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJoe View Post
Unfortunately I'm not playing it right now. The heel of the neck is just beginning to show signs of separating from the body so I don't have any tension on it. I want to have it repaired but I'm afraid to let anyone take it apart. I'm sure there are good luthiers out there I just don't know who to trust it to...
Archtop luthier Stuart Day is a regular poster on this forum; if you send him a PM with a description of your problem (and photos if possible) I'm sure he could steer you in the right direction - might even be worth a couple hours drive to Pittsburgh to have him check it out in person. IME you don't want a flattop/electric tech (no matter how good) doing this job - neck geometry is far more critical on an archtop, and with a vintage piece of this type you need someone who really knows what he/she is doing...
Old 03-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting those pics. Just a beautiful instrument.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 03-02-2015, 06:06 PM

[QUOTE=UncleJoe;4383122]Unfortunately .................. I'm sure there are good luthier's out there I just don't know who to trust it to.QUOTE]

Another poster mentioned Gryphon which is a solid recommendation, I would also recommend Joe Glaser in Nashville or Mirabella instruments in New York. It isn't that difficult of a repair but I understand your trepidation.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Archtop luthier Stuart Day is a regular poster on this forum
Thanks Steve. I'll give him a shout, or maybe he'll pop into this thread.

I do have a local luthier in Hummelstown and in my travels around the forum tonight, I discovered he is a sponsor here at AGF. I know nothing about him though he seems to have a great passion for his work. I would prefer local. I worked for a now defunct shipping company and have seen some terrifying footage of the other big shippers throwing packages around like a football. So I have a real fear of sending it with anyone but the Toyota Shipping Co; ME!

Thanks all for the compliments and suggestions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops