The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-27-2015, 11:02 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Default What's the best priced all koa soprano uke on the market?

Title says it all peeps!

Thx in advance
Old 05-27-2015, 02:02 PM

Being exclusively a tenor ukulele player, I don't really pay that much attention to the soprano instruments. But all solid koa (not laminated) would be unlikely to be found for less than about $650+ these days for imports. Hawaiian-made solid koa ukes will normally be well north of $1000. The premier brands are often referred to as the "four K's" (Kamaka, Kanile'a, KoAloha and Ko'olau). Imported and laminated with koa veneer, such as the Kala and many others will be in the $300 range.

I suggest browsing the options at:
www.theukulelesite.com
www.kalabrand.com
www.ukes.com
www.elderly.com
www.hiloguitars.com

Hilo Guitars and Ukes is a great store, located in Hilo, HI. It might be worth a phone call to discuss. Ask for Brian or Ken.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

You will probably do better here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/

Also, you might want to define more clearly what "best priced" means. Are you looking for the best "bang for the buck" or the best decent all koa ukulele (define "decent") or ?

As with guitars here, you will get different answers from different people. If enough people provide answers, you might some bit of consensus (i.e. two or three people recommending the best brand/model).

My personal experience so far has been that, as with guitars, there is a point below which it just isn't worthwhile and above which, increasing price gains relatively little.

The problem to watch for with soprano instruments is intonation. They have a very short scale. Also, you have to decide what defines "good" sound for you. I did not find what I was willing to live with in a soprano until I encountered my all koa "vintage" Martin. Too many of the soprano ukuleles sound too "plinky" to me. Judging from the number of people who own and enjoy soprano ukuleles of various brands and prices, I am probably in the minority.

Look at the four Hawaiian "K" brands that the previous poster mentioned, as well as Collings (yes, the guitar builder revered here) and Martin (yes, the guitar builder too). On the lower end, a lot of people seem to like the Flea ukuleles, Kala, and a few others.

I have encountered one or two people here who seem to think a ukulele should not cost very much money, because ukuleles are not "real" instruments. Remember that it was not that long ago that most felt the same way about guitars. Now, I guess it is our turn to do that to ukulele players. It seems stupid for anybody to treat anybody like that, but then that must be human nature, I suppose.

I own a Ko'olau tenor, a Kamaka Ohta-San (concert), and a 1925 Martin 2K soprano. Among the variety of ukuleles I have tried, I have found that buying a decent one for more money IS well worth it, and no apologies for thinking that way.

There are different size ukuleles for different musical purposes. A collection of one of each of the standard sizes is sufficient. Also, there are two main tunings for ukuleles. Both are G C E A. The "traditional" tuning, also called "re-entrant" has the G string an octave higher, so that the next (C) string is lower pitched, and then going up E and A. The second fret on the G string is the same pitch as the A string open. The "linear" tuning has the G string an octave lower, so the next (C) string is higher pitched, and then going up E and A. The second fret on the G string is an octave lower than the open A string. Re-entrant tuning is great for "campanella" style, which is like "harp style" picking in open tunings on the guitar, as well as strumming to accompany singing. Linear tuning is great for chord melody and similar instrumental fingerstyle.

In my small collection, my tenor is tuned re-entrant, as is my soprano (to my knowledge, all sopranos are re-entrant), and my concert is tuned low G (linear tuning).

As with guitars, you can buy a lower priced instrument and still get reasonable quality. However, just as people occasionally here will make the claim that a $250 guitar can beat a $4,000 Martin, that is no more true with guitars than it is with ukuleles (though it is rare to find a new ukulele that costs that much - high end boutique for a ukulele will be something around $2,000 - $3,000). Around $1,000 will get you a solid higher end ukulele, and something over $500 should get you something that will keep you happy for years to come. These prices cover all three sizes, though soprano ukuleles tend to be a fair bit less expensive than concert and tenor ukuleles.

If we should have learned anything from our experience buying guitars, it is more expensive to buy cheaper and do it again and again, than to get something good to begin with and stay with it.

Ukuleles are valid instruments and there are people who put their craftsmanship into them to make decent instruments. It is true that many people have only been exposed to the "tourist trap" toys, but look further and you will find highly skilled players making excellent music on high quality instruments.

Here is a link to a site that might be helpful that is not a forum:

https://ukuguides.com/guides/the-ukulele-buying-guide/

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 05-27-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 PM

Wow excellent advice guys! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I'll read these in detail tomorrow and digest.

Thanks again
Old 05-28-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I have encountered one or two people here who seem to think a ukulele should not cost very much money, because ukuleles are not "real" instruments.

Tony
As a serious guitarist who "dabbles" in Uke, it's a very hard hurdle to leap cognitively. My "main" uke is a Fluke uke. And it plays great. Is loud. Has great intonation. It's bulletproof. Those are also the words I would have used to describe my first Ovation in '78 The word "soul" is not mentioned once.

As a National freak, I've been looking for a good deal on one for years. Twice I've found ones I should have bought. But at the last second, both times, I was struck by the "that's a lot of money for such a small instrument..." virus. It won't happen again.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
As a serious guitarist who "dabbles" in Uke, it's a very hard hurdle to leap cognitively. My "main" uke is a Fluke uke. And it plays great. Is loud. Has great intonation. It's bulletproof. Those are also the words I would have used to describe my first Ovation in '78 The word "soul" is not mentioned once.

As a National freak, I've been looking for a good deal on one for years. Twice I've found ones I should have bought. But at the last second, both times, I was struck by the "that's a lot of money for such a small instrument..." virus. It won't happen again.
I traded a guitar for a very expensive ukulele that I will probably never let go of. It is absolutely beautiful and the sound matches its looks. It was a straight across trade, and was my first ukulele. I was excited and posted in the forums about it. Several posted supportive of my new instrument, but one or two were rather rude about the price.

People here will routinely pay big dollars for a custom built guitar and think nothing of it because - it is worth it. They are right. However, it was not that many years ago when people were shocked at the "stupidity" of a person spending even a thousand dollars on a guitar, while thinking nothing of somebody paying upwards of $50,000 or more on a violin.

The general population did not take the guitar seriously (as anything more than a frivolous pasttime not worthy of the care a classical instrument demands) until baby boomers adopted the guitar in great numbers, and later collectively supported the boutique market.

You would think that, since we have experienced what it is like to be on the "short end of the stick" about decent guitars, that we would understand a bit about what that feels like and in turn, treat other instruments with more respect. However, that is not how human nature works.

Anyway, after owning three very decent ukuleles for a period of time now, and having played lower end ukuleles, I can say with certainty that there is a very real difference, and that difference is similar to the experience of truly fine guitars as instruments vs the low end.

This does not mean that one can't get a decently playable ukulele at the lower end, but that there is very real value to the high end, just as there is with guitars.

I was on the fence about buying my 1925 Martin soprano ukulele recently, but I am glad that I did it. It isn't too often that such an instrument at that age comes along with no cracks and completely original (tuners, bridge, finish, etc) and with the original case fully functional. Just as with vintage Martin guitars, there are "golden" years for Martin ukuleles. Those years are from around 1922 through around 1928 or so. I just wanted one fine example of each of the three primary sizes of ukulele. I was not happy with any of the new soprano ukuleles I have tried, even the new Martins. But this vintage ukulele really has "the sound". I would have regretted getting it if I had not jumped at it.

Many people are buying newer sopranos in all price ranges and are quite happy with theirs, so "vintage" is not a prerequisite. However, when the right instrument comes along and one has the cash, there can be some real regret later on if the opportunity is missed.

I think the Flea is a very good instrument, and there is certainly nothing wrong with these. I think many here who own higher end guitars will attest to the extra "something" in owning such an instrument that brings joy every time it is played. That difference is difficult to quantify, but when it is experienced, it is obvious.

It really depends on how serious you are about playing ukulele, just as with guitar. For the occasional guitar strummer, having a boutique instrument is probably not worthwhile. The same is true for the ukulele.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-28-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I think the Flea is a very good instrument, and there is certainly nothing wrong with these. I think many here who own higher end guitars will attest to the extra "something" in owning such an instrument that brings joy every time it is played. That difference is difficult to quantify, but when it is experienced, it is obvious.

Tony
Yup. Like I said, the fluke works in every way, but like my early foray into ovations, it just lacks something. I'll probably never sell it, as it projects wonderfully, and is intonated wonderfully. But just like my guitars, there are ones that you pick up when you want to do more than just play.

The next one that crosses my bow in my price range will be purchased with NO hesitation. One of the lost opportunities had some custom touches... I probably won't see that again...
Old 05-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yup. Like I said, the fluke works in every way, but like my early foray into ovations, it just lacks something. I'll probably never sell it, as it projects wonderfully, and is intonated wonderfully. But just like my guitars, there are ones that you pick up when you want to do more than just play.

The next one that crosses my bow in my price range will be purchased with NO hesitation. One of the lost opportunities had some custom touches... I probably won't see that again...
People have different value systems. To me it is important to recognize that both for ourselves so we don't pass up something that we will regret later and for others, so that we respect other people's choices and share their happiness rather than criticizing them for deviating from our own priorities.

I hope you do find the instrument you are looking for, and that you are able to get it when you do.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-28-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
People have different value systems. To me it is important to recognize that both for ourselves so we don't pass up something that we will regret later and for others, so that we respect other people's choices and share their happiness rather than criticizing them for deviating from our own priorities.

I hope you do find the instrument you are looking for, and that you are able to get it when you do.

Tony
Thanks! I'm on the lookout, I know my budget, and I have the cash set aside.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks! I'm on the lookout, I know my budget, and I have the cash set aside.
That is the smart thing to do.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 06-04-2015, 02:42 PM

Default Check out Pono at HMS

bang for the buck, I don't think you can beat a Pono from HMS. My second choice would be a LoPrinzi, reknown Florida luthier with impeccable ukes at very reasonable prices.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:52 PM

Default Bang for the buck

Sorry, duplicate post, but btw by buying a LoPr the plus would be that they are a small USA shop, individually made by Donna and AugustIno. Highly regarded in the uke community. I have 2 in my herd.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:57 PM

Default Priceless

Matt,
A lot guitar makers have begun to dabble in realm of ukulele. It bothers me that they now want $2-3k. I suspect though that it is voiced like a mini parlor. Ukulele is an animal by itself. Evolve from hawaii it is.

So if you want an ukulele have aadequate in Hawaii uke to begin with. A lot of Hawaiian name brands that are manufactured overseas albeit mass produced. There is the so called "big 3 K's"; Kamaka, KoAloha, and Kanile'a. The latter iny opinion a lot better than the others
We also many one man luthiers here but they, too are pricey.

Knowing your taste for high end quality, my advice is don't buy a toy. A Kanile'a tenor would be my suggestion to you. A soprano and a concert will frustrate you because it's so small.

On another note, a baritone is an easier transition for because it basically frets like a 4 string guitar.

I just bought a Kanile'a guitalele. It's a challenge but nice.

Aloha brah.
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 06-24-2015, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

I bought a Fluke to take camping and be my knock around instrument. One day I left it in my wife's car in 95 degree heat. It wasn't phased in the slightest. It did exactly what I bought it for. It is however, rather soulless as an instrument. Now I also have a Pono which I can highly recommend. A lot of lovely tone comes out of that hog tenor, and I get along with the necks.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-27-2015, 09:27 AM

Thanks for all the comments. It may be best for Bobbi to look for an all hog soprano; Martin's entry level uke seems reasonably priced. I'm sure she'll make the right decision if presented with options.

Thanks again

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments