The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Default 6 String Tenor Guitar?

I currently have a 4-string Tenor and really enjoy it ... I have been thinking about what a 6-string Tenor would be like ... in my mind it would be tuned to NST (New Standard Tuning) CGDAEG - does anyone make a 6-string Tenor?

I am contemplating buying strings that will allow me to use NST on an old 6-string acoustic I have ...

Any thoughts/experiences? Thanks.

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Cool

Get a banjitar (6-string guitar-necked banjo) and give it a try...only problem will be finding the high string. The two folks I know who use that tuning have told me you must buy plenty of spare .008s and take a couple hours in tuning up that high.

Both love the new GoldTone BT-2000R, because it's larger body bring out the low notes better

Last edited by TerryAllanHall; 02-03-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 PM

Jayson Bowerman make a Tenor8er, Eight String tenor. I just love mine. I'll post some photos.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

...wouldn't you essentially be playing a standard guitar in a special tuning....NST in this case?.....or are there structural considerations when building a tenor guitar?...

Last edited by J Patrick; 02-07-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...wouldn't you essentially be playing a standard guitar in a special tuning....NST in this case?.....or are there structural considerations when building a tenor guitar?...
I agree. Just pick up a parlor guitar and string it CGDAEB... Voila!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:43 PM

Hi. I am currently building a 6 string tenor resonator guitar with a 22 1/2" scale, it is going to be tuned to open A because I love Delta blues. But the main reason is that I have chunky fingers and the shorter scale means I don't have so much of a problem stretching over 4 or 5 frets .
Old 07-10-2015, 02:29 PM

I think Chris is on the right track with the extra-short scale - I'd be thinking something in the 21-23" range - and given those parameters it shouldn't be hard to tune up to G; FWIW many 12-string players use .009 and .010 octave G strings on standard-scale instruments, so I'd start from there and work my way down. That said, IMO the real problem here will be low-end resonance; unless you're having something built to order most of the commercially-available instruments with the appropriate scale length will be 14" or less in width - think size 0 or parlor - and I think we both realize that a large soundboard/air chamber is necessary to give your bass register any impact, even with the ultra-heavy (I'm thinking .076 - .080) sixth string you'll need if you're tuning down to low C (FYI most makers' standard B-B baritone set bottoms out at .070, for a 27-29" scale)...

If you're looking for a 6-string instrument that'll cover the customary tenor guitar range, however, there is an easier, more practical - and far more readily available - solution; a reasonably well-constructed travel guitar with a 21-22" scale should be able to handle a light-gauge electric-style string set (9-42 or 10-46 with a wound third) tuned A-A. FYI during the 19th century there were purpose-built guitars of this type known as "quart" guitars (designed for playing treble parts in guitar ensembles), and several years ago (now-defunct) Tacoma made the uke-sized Papoose with an ultra-short 19" scale; there are also a number of "guilele" hybrid instruments on the market - Cordoba and Yamaha being perhaps the best-known - that use standard nylon strings tuned A-A on a small body to achieve much the same end; one of these might be a good play next time you're at your local guitar store to see if you like the idea...
Old 07-10-2015, 03:49 PM

I'm no expert, but this begs the question:

Why not just set up a guitar and learn to play in Nashville tuning? It's been around for ages...
Old 07-15-2015, 11:28 AM

Default update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kettle View Post
Hi. I am currently building a 6 string tenor resonator guitar with a 22 1/2" scale, it is going to be tuned to open A because I love Delta blues. But the main reason is that I have chunky fingers and the shorter scale means I don't have so much of a problem stretching over 4 or 5 frets .
I have now finished the guitar and I am really pleased with it I have used 12- 54 strings and tuned to open A if anybody would like to see a pic please let me know.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:52 AM

so there is no label inside the sound hole? can you put a picture of it up?

Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kettle View Post
I have now finished the guitar and I am really pleased with it I have used 12- 54 strings and tuned to open A if anybody would like to see a pic please let me know.
Sure, why not? Love looking at guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments