The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-27-2015, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Rev. Gary Davis and 12-strings

I've been thoroughly enjoying youtube vids of the old blues masters (Miss. John Hurt, Rev. Davis, Skip James, etc...) and came across Rev. Gary Davis playing what looks like a Gibson SJ200, but with 12 bridge pins, but on close up, he is only picking on 6 strings. Is this an editing/splicing oversight, or did he really de-string his 12 down to a six? He was a big man, so maybe he just wanted the widest nut he could find, and that was on a 12? (oh, can't forget to mention Elizabeth Cotten, Light'n Hopkins, and Son House!!) Even with crappy audio/video quality, their genius shines through the static!

Dave F
Old 06-27-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I've been thoroughly enjoying youtube vids of the old blues masters (Miss. John Hurt, Rev. Davis, Skip James, etc...) and came across Rev. Gary Davis playing what looks like a Gibson SJ200, but with 12 bridge pins, but on close up, he is only picking on 6 strings. Is this an editing/splicing oversight, or did he really de-string his 12 down to a six? He was a big man, so maybe he just wanted the widest nut he could find, and that was on a 12? (oh, can't forget to mention Elizabeth Cotten, Light'n Hopkins, and Son House!!) Even with crappy audio/video quality, their genius shines through the static!

Dave F
To my knowledge, he played a Bozo 12-string in the later videos. The J200 is his trademark, never seen him play a 12-string J200. The people who were with him never mention anything about a destringed 12 either, which would surely be mentioned if it existed. Most likely it's an edit. Which video is it?

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 06-27-2015, 08:14 AM

Here ya go. Gary on a Gibson B-45-12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUaGsSrbam4
Old 06-27-2015, 08:39 AM

all twelve...you can here the courses
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 06-30-2015, 07:17 PM

Lots of the guys who lived long enough to get really old turned to 12s because it was easier to get a lot of sound with less work. R. Lockwood Jr. did as well with both acoustic AND electric.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:07 PM

Glory be! Great clip
Old 08-15-2015, 11:48 PM

In the May 2015 issue of Acoustic Guitar, there's an article about a biography of Davis written by Ian Zack. A photo with the article shows him playing a 12-string, but I can't tell what make/model it is, or if all twelve strings are on it. I think they're all there, but I can't be sure.

Maybe the book has more info. Say No to the Devil: The Life and Musical Genius of Rev. Gary Davis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments