The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2009, 10:03 AM

Default Blueridge 160 "open up"

I bought the bR 160 in jan. past----how long should i wait to see it really "open up?" It's been in its case now for the past month or so--been away from it and will be until aug.. any info would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeynichol View Post
I bought the bR 160 in jan. past----how long should i wait to see it really "open up?" It's been in its case now for the past month or so--been away from it and will be until aug.. any info would be appreciated. thanks.
Hi sn...
If it's in the case and not being played, it's not going to open noticeably. And even when played it usually takes years to notice substantial differences in manufactured guitars. Some folks think guitars go to sleep when not played for long periods - I've never encountered this.

My Martin D-28 started to noticeably open after 9 or 10 years of continuous play (several hours a week) and continued to improve for the entire 17 years I had it. My Olson took 4-5 years to respond similarly, and is still opening after 16 years of living in our home and being played often.

My Kronbauer started making significant improvements after a year or so (it was a couple years old when it came to live here), and continues to 'grow' and my Bashkin has never stopped improving since I brought it home fresh from the bench in 2005. It, too, continues to improve.

One of the keys is - all of these are played regularly and a lot of hours...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-04-2009, 10:36 AM

After six months I think it's O.K. to open up the case.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:38 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Re; "opening up";

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=157644

And more;

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=157529

Bottom line, some guitars "open up", some don't.
Some don't, and you will think they have. Some will..and you wont think they did.
Some will...and you won't like how they have changed.

It's a pretty safe bet that if you aren't thrilled with the way your guitar sounds now, you won't be in 6 months..or a year......or 5 years.....unless your tastes change.

Guitars are like shoes.
Don't buy them thinking "well, they are too tight now...but I bet they will stretch out in a few months. "

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-04-2009, 12:13 PM

The more you play the more likely it will open up. I have a Walden D550 it has laminate back and sides but a solid top. I has definately opened in the last month or so. I have owned the guitar for abour 18 months.
It's my beater guitar so I play it all the time and take it everywhere.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Bottom line, some guitars "open up", some don't.
Some don't, and you will think they have. Some will..and you wont think they did.
Some will...and you won't like how they have changed.
Quote:
It's a pretty safe bet that if you aren't thrilled with the way your guitar sounds now, you won't be in 6 months..or a year......or 5 years.....unless your tastes change.
This is about the best statement I have heard on "opening up".
Old 07-04-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Smokey....

I cant help but notice that you have asked about the BR-40 compared to the BR-160 lately on 2 different fora (plural of forum) that I belong to. I wasn't aware that you own the BR-160 already though. What's the bottom line here, if you don't mind me asking? Are you not happy with the way your BR-160 sounds? Here's my experience with "opening up". I've owned guitars that sounded great, good, and not good from the start (initial purchase). The "opening up" on a guitar is a subtle change. It wont be a drastic difference if/ when a guitar opens up. If a guitar sounds pretty good it may or may not become somewhat better over time. If it's pretty much a disappointment from day 1, sell it. If it's up to par or even excellent then "opening up" would simply be a bonus.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:51 PM

Default happy indeed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Smokey....

I cant help but notice that you have asked about the BR-40 compared to the BR-160 lately on 2 different fora (plural of forum) that I belong to. I wasn't aware that you own the BR-160 already though. What's the bottom line here, if you don't mind me asking? Are you not happy with the way your BR-160 sounds? Here's my experience with "opening up". I've owned guitars that sounded great, good, and not good from the start (initial purchase). The "opening up" on a guitar is a subtle change. It wont be a drastic difference if/ when a guitar opens up. If a guitar sounds pretty good it may or may not become somewhat better over time. If it's pretty much a disappointment from day 1, sell it. If it's up to par or even excellent then "opening up" would simply be a bonus.
happy indeed with my 160 but i played the 40 recently and was impressed thought it sounded as good as the 160--my 160 is prettier looking and i prefer rosewoods over laminate though--i'm just curious about all BRS as to their unique sound and i think they all sound very close to each other even though some are laminate and others rosewoods.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
happy indeed with my 160 but i played the 40 recently and was impressed thought it sounded as good as the 160--my 160 is prettier looking and i prefer rosewoods over laminate though--i'm just curious about all BRS as to their unique sound and i think they all sound very close to each other even though some are laminate and others rosewoods.

That's what a lot of people seem to agree on in the laminate vs. solid Blueridges. Glad to hear that you like your BR-160. Occasionally every guitar company puts out a "dud" or two.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion