The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 11:00 PM

Default Strings!!!

Hey, so I just got a new Hummingbird and had a couple of questions about strings. First, would going to .13 gauge strings be recommended for going down a half-step on the ‘Bird cause it has a shorter scale? I just sold a D-18, and it handled .12s down a half step anywhere with a capo great, but it was also a long-scale guitar. The ‘Bird is great except for a bit of fret buzzing with a capo.

Also, what brands are you guys into? I’ve been using Elixirs cuz I hate changing strings, but I’m finally starting to hear what people don’t dig about them. They sound very bright to me compared to other strings.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by ricky.kent91; 03-20-2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-21-2018, 12:06 AM

Ricky, the guitar will handle mediums just fine. I'd recommend that you try the John Pearse phosphor bronze strings on it. They have a lot of tonal complexity to them.

Full disclosure: I use, prefer, recommend and endorse John Pearse strings. I've always found that the Gibson guitars I've owned seem to sound their best with the Pearse phosphors, as opposed to some of the other alloys.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-21-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Ricky, the guitar will handle mediums just fine. I'd recommend that you try the John Pearse phosphor bronze strings on it. They have a lot of tonal complexity to them.

Full disclosure: I use, prefer, recommend and endorse John Pearse strings. I've always found that the Gibson guitars I've owned seem to sound their best with the Pearse phosphors, as opposed to some of the other alloys.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
I will second the JP strings, but I use the pure nickel and also the silk and bronze, and find them to be the right sound for me.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:46 AM

This probably won't help but all I ever use are the cheapest 80/20 bronze strings I can find. Usually Martin or D'Addario. I am not a fan of coated or PB strings. I change them maybe 3-4 times a year. Every 3-4 months. In the summertime maybe more often.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:04 AM

Gibson Masterbilt Light Phosphor Bronze sing on my J-15. They sound noticeably better than any other PB string I've tried. DR Veritas are a close second.

You can try Mediums but you may not like it, I've never tried them but others on the Gibson forum say the extra tension chokes up the top.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz-s View Post
Gibson Masterbilt Light Phosphor Bronze sing on my J-15. They sound noticeably better than any other PB string I've tried. DR Veritas are a close second.

You can try Mediums but you may not like it, I've never tried them but others on the Gibson forum say the extra tension chokes up the top.
I forgot to mention that I leave my acoustics tuned down a 1/2 step!
Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 AM

Based on my playing experiences with Hummingbirds, John Pearse PB's would work well, but really any PB's probably would.
At some point you might try some DR Rares or GHS Vintage Bronze if you want to take out some of the brightness. Hummingbirds with new strings are pretty bright to my ears.
As an aside, I wish I owned one.
Lucky you!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-21-2018, 01:43 PM

Strings are cheap!!!! Try a bunch!!! My Gibson Songwriter is tuned down a step and I split the difference with Martin medium-lights!!!!!

!!!!
Old 03-21-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
That guy /\...He knows a little bit about guitars.
I will say that Pearse Strings are darn good.

They are among my favorites for my 12-Strings.
I’d also recommend Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze, and Phosphor bronze.

I tend to generally use D’addario strings. But as they are currently raising their prices to match a lot of the others, I’m branching out.

As always, I advise hitting up Strings and Beyond, or Just Strings and ordering up some to try.
Personally, I love changing strings, so I’m about to do another six string before the day is out.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 03-21-2018, 03:24 PM

D'Addario EXP for me. Warm and bright with a balanced tone.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Default how often

Hi all - a lot of you suggest getting a bunch of different strings and try them out. When doing that, how long do you recommend keeping them on before swapping out?

Also - anyone have opinions on Curt Mangan PB mediums... I was turned onto them, really liked the sound on my Guild D25 - but interested in other's opinions.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:16 PM

Broy, what I do when in this sort of "R&D" phase trying to decide which strings sound best on an instrument that's new to me is leave the strings on for a much shorter time than I do once I've settled on a brand and alloy. I can leave the John Pearse phosphor bronze strings on my guitars for 6 weeks to two months normally, but during this comparison period I leave them on for less than a week, usually, before I swap them out with something else.

I do that deliberately so that I can hear each successive set of strings at its peak; if I wait long enough for the test strings to go dead, ANYthing I put on there next will sound better.

So during this test phase I deliberately sacrifice strings a lot more quickly than usual simply to get the most accurate comparisons that I can.

The results are often surprising. Perhaps four fifths of the time I can accurately predict which string alloy I'm going to like best on any given guitar, but that still leaves 20% of the time when I guess wrong. So for me it's necessary to make those R&D comparisons every time.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-22-2018, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Wade - a weeks time makes sense, and it's not a horribly expensive way to do some R&D that could make a big difference.

Rgds - broy
Old 03-22-2018, 08:23 AM

Happy to help.

whm
Old 03-22-2018, 09:03 AM

Different guitars of the same model can vary, but my H'Bird seems over driven with medium strings on it. To my ear, I get the most balanced tone with .11s.

I'm also a huge John Pearse fan. I use their Nuages on my Parlor guitars and 80/20's on the bigger wood.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion