The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

For me its been certain brands and certain woods that I steer away from now after realizing I just don't like them or they don't work for me.

I won't discuss brands on this open forum but feel free to PM me.

For woods, I don't care for Port Orford Cedar or Engelmann spruce. I also don't like all Koa and all Mahogany acoustic guitars all that much. I haven't been thrilled with Maple, Walnut and Bubinga for back and sides woods.

Also guitars that I've fallen out of love with have been very niche instruments that only do one or two styles well like Archtop Guitars, Nylon stringed guitars, 12 String guitars, and Gypsy Jazz guitars.

I love Jazz guitar playing so I love to challenge my chops with a good archtop but I've sold a lot of good ones.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 03-27-2018, 12:27 AM

All my electrics , haven’t played them for two years now . I’m now 100% Acoustic
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 03-27-2018, 12:58 AM

Martin Backpacker!

What in the world was I thinking?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:02 AM

I used to have a Garrison guitar with fibre glass bracing! It was as heavy as a small car but it actually played and sounded OK. Some of my friends started teasing me with it calling me "Mr. Garrison" like the teacher character from South Park. Whenever I replied they would say mmmm...kay. It had to go.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:09 PM

Default Fallen out of love

Yep many times
Guilds gf25, d4( d stands for dog ) a guild gad something ( nice guitar though)
Finally found an awesome gf 30 maple that is sweet though a little beat up
A custom built modeled after a Texan ft 27 which I just let go of
A Gibson j35 , bought that on impulse brought on by some type of hypnosis when I was at Rudy’s
A les Paul that I just couldn’t bond with
I think I’m good now but GC just upped my credit to 5200.00!!!!
Custom Tele
Taylor 814ce
And what evers next
Old 03-27-2018, 02:40 PM
Guest 728

Martin CEO-7. I thought it would be a forever guitar, but I fell out of love with the modified "V" neck within a year.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:57 PM

No, Looburst, I don't think it was a humidity problem. None of my other guitars
(3 Larrivees and a Gibson as well as several other Martins in the past) have had those issues. If you read my original post you would have seen that I used an Oasis humidifier in the case and being in Piedmont NC is not usually a death sentence for guitars.

This winter has been somewhat extreme, but I have never had those problems with instruments over the past 45+ years.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Two big fallouts for me:

Martin HD28V—-grew tired of the neck, and that the low-E was just not alive. Wanted a more balanced sound as well. A delightful guitar, if those things don’t bother you

Guild D55–also a very sweet guitar (a had a gorgeous end-of-run 2000 Westerly), but ended up overwhelmed with the overtones and its rosewood richness and it’s being “a handheld piano.” Just TOO rich. If I had or could afford a large stable, I’d want it to be a part of it, but my stable is small and it had to go
Old 03-27-2018, 06:20 PM

all of them at some point
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 03-27-2018, 06:50 PM

The most recent for me is my 1920's Regal made Lyon and Healy (washburn) size 1 parlor... It has a spectacular curly maple back and sides.... I suppose I am ruined building my own parlor guitars - because factory parlor guitars just sound too boxy and boingy for me.. And I loves me some parlor guitars.... Everybody crows over that old guitar... And it has it's own unique 1920's voice.... But it's just not for me. I have held on to it 2 years now, but it's time for it to go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion