The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Wish I had some decent photos, but my Eastman E-10SS slope dread and my HD-28. Those are lifers.

sm
Scott, you sold your E10-SS? Say it isn't so!

Edit: disregard. I see that you still have it, and all is still right in the universe.

Last edited by Pura Vida; 03-20-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:59 PM

'73 Martin D-45
'76 Hagstrom Swede
'82 Fender '52 Tele reissue (one of the first batch)

- and a few "not-exactly-guitars":
'67 Epiphone Rivoli bass
'90 Deering Intermediate 5-string banjo
'78 Music Man 410-65 combo amp
'86 Peavey Bandit 65 combo amp
'91 Fender Champ 12 combo amp
Old 03-21-2018, 07:13 AM

The one I wish I never let go, easy....a Buffalo Brothers house custom Taylor 710. No C, no E, just pure powerhouse acoustic tone! The BB 710 had a stunningly beautiful red spruce top and AAA grab EIR back and sides, a lovely green abalone rosette and black buttoned / gold taylor tuners. That 710 had power and tone in abundance.

I sold it to make way for a Taylor Ltd. 14 series in cocobolo / engelmann spruce. A lovely guitar but i never bonded with it and ended up selling it a few months later but the BB 710 custom was gone never to return.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:27 AM

Probably my '77 Guild D50 amber sunburst. If for no other reason than to hear it again and see if was as great as I'm thinking it was.

scott
Old 03-21-2018, 07:49 AM

1. Ovation Folklore - in retrospect maybe not a great guitar or anything but I had it for a long time and eventually traded it in for not much $.

2. Taylor 910C - This was my first really nice guitar and I think that I traded it in on a Goodall which is #3. Bought this when Taylor was just starting to get bigger and not many people had even heard of them and had an email exchange with Bob Taylor about it.

3. Goodall koa grand concert - A really nice guitar that again I traded in on don't remember what anymore.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:27 AM

A 1973 Martin D-18. In the thirty years I had owned it, I never really bonded with it, so after getting a reset done under warranty I sold it to a guy whose D45 was getting some finish work done at Martin and who wanted a "junker" for a year until he got it back. I sold it because my Taylor was getting all of the playing time and the D-18 actually played worse after the reset. In the ensuing 15 years I have become much more interested in Martins through the Authentic line, and kind of wished I had kept it. Probably would have Kimsey-fied it and had a pretty neat 45 year old guitar. Of course, with a 1 11/16" nut I probably still wouldn't have played it much...

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 03-21-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

1989 Taylor 812 (Santee built)
1994 Olson SJ EIR/Cedar
2003 McAlister Nick Lucas 13 fret

Why? Superb guitars all, including the little Taylor whch, at the time, inspired me to change and massively broaden my playing style. I can’t get my head round why I let them go, being honest about it. I’d have them all back in a heartbeat.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 03-23-2018, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I started this thread for fun, but also because I was in "reflective" mood, about some of thin nstrumwents that have passed though my hands.

way back in the early/mid '70s IO saw an ad in the weekly music paper for a Gibson L-3 - I didn't kn ow much about guitars back then but I wanted to see it.

A call was made - they guy was close to me so I went over (with a guitar case in the boot/trunk of my car.

He showed me this Gibson small body 13 fret round soundhole archtop, and i instantly fell in love with it. He suggested that it was about 1915. The other thing he had was a 1917 Martin 2-17 which was a little delight but needed some work.

I had no money, but I did have a very worn out Gibson J-200 which had been sunburst, badly treated, and had been stripped and not very well re-finished. It was probably a '50s-'60s - I didn't know.
We arranged a swap.
I should say that he was an American, and said he had brought them in from the US (Hawaii?) I asked him three times if he had paid import duty and taxes on them and he said yes, and wrote that on the hand written receipt he gave me.

A couple of weeks went by , the Martin was with my luthier havng some minir work done, when I got a call - at work.
A very convincing person asked if we could meet up as he's really like to see the guitars.
I agreed and got the Martin back, with some re-gluing still not finished and dried, and then two large men arrived, inspected the guitars and my receipt, then pulled out their HM Customs and Excise ID and confiscated them.

Apparently they had caught the American who also had a room full of smuggled in electrics, and found my details in his possession.

after some months, It was suggested that if i turned "queen's evidence" on him, I might get my property back. I wrote a truthful statement saying that I'd asked about them being legally imported and then they offered me my guitars back IF i paid the duty and taxes. Which I did, however, it broke me and I had to sell the 2-17 as soon as I got it back in order to continue to eat and pay rent.

These aren't the guitars but these are the ones I kinda wish i still had.

Later that year (must've been '75) I moved and bought a flat with100% mortgage and had to sell the Gibson. I got £150 each.
Still miss the Gibson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gibson-l-3.jpg (12.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg lot0137.jpg (14.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-23-2018, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

A Wards Airline, painted on pickguard. Bought for $25 but it was very playable. Gave it to someone that liked to play but didn't own one. Two years later he still didn't own a guitar and had no idea where the one was that I'd given him.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-23-2018, 08:31 AM
Guest 33123

I sold my 90's sunburst Fender American Standard Telecaster in a fit of pique with Fender over my piece-of-garbage matching Strat. I still miss that Tele. It was my first "good" guitar. All the others meh, especially the Strat. Can't say I miss them at all. Here's a list of the goners:

Sears Silvertone P-bass copy (candy apple red)
Radio Shack amp
El Degas Les Paul Custom copy (white with maple fingerboard)
Ross guitar amp
Cort P-bass copy (white)
Ibanez Musician bass (cream sparkle)
Phoenix Strat copy (black)
Fender American Standard Tele (sunburst)
Fender American Standard Strat (sunburst)
Marshall JCM-900 100w half stack
Fender 800SX
Yamaha BB bass (red)
Gibson ES-335 dot (cherry red)
Mesa/Boogie Studio Caliber
Martin 000-28EC
Gibson J-100Xtra
Gibson J-50
plus a pile of pedals, recording gear and pro-audio gear

Last edited by Guest 33123; 03-23-2018 at 08:47 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion