The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-14-2018, 02:05 PM

Also enjoying the updates as I travel occasionally for work!
Old 03-14-2018, 02:50 PM

Be careful when stuffing the guitar with clothing so you don't damage the wires from the pickup!
Old 03-14-2018, 06:19 PM
Guest 928

Yeh, that's where you put your toilet paper because it's soft and will soak up the wiring.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Yeh, that's where you put your toilet paper because it's soft and will soak up the wiring.
Sounds like crap to me... but then I never tried it (the soaking up wiring part).
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-14-2018, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Be careful when stuffing the guitar with clothing so you don't damage the wires from the pickup!
Yes, thought of this and it's a valid concern. But I am being very careful and it's just a couple articles of lightweight clothing so I doubt it will do harm. I would definitely not put anything heavy in there or try to stuff too much, for sure.

Day three (day two of travel) is in the books. I pulled a TSA Pre-check so going through security was pretty much nothing. That said, the Journey did go through the scanner and it did not pop. So, two for two. It was an early day at the airport with a long layover made longer by a delay so just now getting to my hotel.

I did not get to play this morning but as soon as I'm done with this update I'm going to play. In fact, the guitar is already put together and on the bed waiting. So this will be three for three days playing. Still glad I bought it and brought it! Another audit tomorrow and then flying home on Friday. More updates to come.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:56 PM

Smart idea to use the inside of the guitar. I have an OF420B (Spruce/Pau Ferro) and I’ve used all the space around the guitar for clothing but had never thought of using the guitar body itself. I’m traveling to Wisconsin end of this month and will give that a try!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Probably my last entry in this little 'review'. I forgot to mention in last evenings posting the 'wrinkle' I ran into on my last (delayed) short flight from O'Hare to WI. Small plane so they were making their usual announcements going about how there's very little room in the overhead and how we should gate check anything that was larger. As I went to board the gate clerk looked at the OF660 on my shoulder and decided it would be too large for the the overhead and attached a gate check tag. Of course I knew better and so just ripped off the tag halfway down the hallway. Sure as heck, it fit VERY easily. Not only that, but there was NO shortage of open and empty overhead bins.

I played this morning and I've got time to play this evening but to tell the truth I think I'm just going to break it down and pack it up for tomorrow's flight even though I've time tonight and tomorrow to play. And there is the rub. I've enjoyed having it along and I've played it daily, usually twice a day. But those sessions were admittedly short. What I thought would be practicing for an hour or so a day like at home in reality was just more like a half hour, tops.

Now that I'm winding down, I'm not sure it was worth it having it along after all. Functionally as a guitar and as a piece of travel luggage I can say that it was a huge success. On small downside that I don't think I mentioned is that with packing all those extras into the OF660 case makes it fairly heavy. And since it's a backpack case (no telescoping handle and wheels) you have to carry it like a backpack which can get a little tedious from the weight. That said, I don't think there is a better travel guitar out there if you absolutely want/need to get it on a plane or if a small size is an imperative. And I've shown that with a bit of planning and creative packing, the OF660 can hold a fair amount of clothing and other items in it's outstanding backpack.

This trip was an anomaly for me being a week-long event. Most trips (maybe 3-4 a year, tops) will almost always be three days or less. If I was traveling more and longer then I might find myself inclined to take the guitar every time. But for those few times and for just a few days, I sort of doubt it. For someone that does travel a ton (or really just wants a travel guitar where minimal size matters such as a boat or motorcycle) then this guitar is a must. For me I'm not sure it is, though. I might do better with an X7 or something. I have not decided yet but I might just throw this up on the Classifieds looking for a trade for an X7. Or maybe I'll just sell it outright. We'll see.

Last edited by Methos1979; 12-18-2022 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:27 PM

Well ! About time Methos ! I have waited up for you, worried half to death, for three nights in a row now,

it’s half past one in the morning here young man . Another ten minutes and the door would have been locked .

Perhaps I can get some sleep now.... Goodnight.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Sometimes you have to try something to know whether or not it works for you. Hope you are able to find the trade or a quick sale, if you decide to part with the OF.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Well ! About time Methos ! I have waited up for you, worried half to death, for three nights in a row now,

it’s half past one in the morning here young man . Another ten minutes and the door would have been locked .

Perhaps I can get some sleep now.... Goodnight.
Lol - I posted all four days, Jon!! Today makes five. But I'm glad you were able to finally get to sleep!!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:40 PM

Congratulations on your new guitar!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:24 PM

Wow Methos, from awesome to travel with to for sale. But you probably can take the X7 without too much issue, just check your suitcase, it really does work most of the time!
I know how sometimes we just get too tired when traveling, and I really need a nice enough guitar that I can’t wait to get it out when my work day is done. That is why I travel with my Lucky13 or Shorty and have given up on past travel guitars(go-guitar, Yamaha silent guitar, GS-mini etc...).
Glad you had a good trip, but maybe keep the OF660 just in case you really want it on those 3 day trips?
Good luck whichever way you go.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:29 PM

You don't need to carry it out if you come back to So Cal. You can always play my Lowden!
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 03-17-2018, 06:12 AM

I can relate, Methos! I used to love the idea of bringing a travel guitar with me on vacations or trips. Then when I actually did it 4-5 times, I found that I didn't play it anywhere near what I thought I would. Usually came down to less than 30 minutes a day, if that. Too many other distractions. So the actual use of guitar didnt justify the trouble of bringing it onto the plane.

So now I never bring a guitar on plane trips. Car trips I will throw the guitar in the trunk, since its no hassle.

All that being said, if you want to bring a travel guitar on a plane, I don't think you can do much better than an OF660!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaichine View Post
I can relate, Methos! I used to love the idea of bringing a travel guitar with me on vacations or trips. Then when I actually did it 4-5 times, I found that I didn't play it anywhere near what I thought I would. Usually came down to less than 30 minutes a day, if that. Too many other distractions. So the actual use of guitar didnt justify the trouble of bringing it onto the plane.

So now I never bring a guitar on plane trips. Car trips I will throw the guitar in the trunk, since its no hassle.

All that being said, if you want to bring a travel guitar on a plane, I don't think you can do much better than an OF660!
This is exactly where I am! Since I already have the X20 I'm covered for my CF guitar needs. But there's nothing quite so easy to transport as that OF660. I might just keep it and leave it in my car trunk so I always have a backup for gigs and also just have it there for any trip that comes up. I'd be more likely to take it on a vacation trip where the entire stay would be relaxing and time to ourselves. The work trips are just too tiring and all I want to do between the travel and work parts is eat, drink and sleep!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber