The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave JH View Post
So I am bring two checked bags and a guitar on air canada from Vancouver to Brussels. Air canuckle heads are telling me I’m going to be charged $100 for the extra suitcase and $325 to gate check the guitar!!! Is it normal on other airlines to charge for a checked guitar if you’ve used up your luggage allowance?
Never heard of a charge to gate check. What type of plane is it?

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 03-21-2018, 02:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtww01 View Post
If You don't Ask, you can always act innocent, and then the charges might not apply. It would be normal for the airline to charge the guitar as extra luggage, as it is considered part of your luggage, and if you have already exceeded the entitlement, then you'll have to pay. The part I don't get is the $325 extra charge for gate checking.
Agreed, it is very normal for them to charge you for anything, guitar or otherwise, once you have hit your luggage limit.

Without looking at the Air Canada website to see what their oversize baggage costs are, I would suggest that this is why they are trying to hit you for so much extra for the guitar. The logic is that oversize goods take up more space so they charge you more. That said, I have lost count of the flights I have had with guitars as carry on, gate checked and baggage in the hold and no-one has ever hit me for anywhere near that sort of money.

Maybe you can convince them to let the guitar travel for free and pay excess on the suitcases.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:45 PM

Hey guys, it’s an increasing charge. I think as a deterrent against going over your limit . Not for oversized bags.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:07 AM

Looks like I got misinformed, no charge for gate check. I even managed to get them to stow the guitar in the cabin. Alls good.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I’m travelling from Vancouver to Brussels with a stopover in Montreal. I’m bring my $6000 Martin custom shop acoustic. I’ve never done the gate check thing before and wonder if someone can explain how the process will work step by step?

Thanks
Unless you are prepared to lose this guitar to mishandled baggage, I would advise against this. I've seen a well known guitarist's Froggy in fine brazilian which was in the Calton case and broken into many pieces by baggage (mis-)handling.

There will always be a risk when checking a guitar in the best cases, in my opinion. I used to travel with very good guitars. I now travel (as a complete amateur) a good Voyage-Aire which I bought for that purpose. I miss my good guitars but none of the 4 which I treasure do I want to consider losing to the airline chaos. A Martin custom guitar obviously won't be easy to replace. Or buy an extra ticket and give it the seat next to you.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 03-25-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Has anybody, while traveling normally with their guitar, actually had the experience of having had the guitar case opened and the guitar confiscated because it contravened CITES regulations?

My guess is that the average customs employee wouldn't know the difference between Brazilian rosewood and Formica.
I fly at least 3 times per year overseas and the only time I had to open the case was in Amsterdam because one of the officers wanted to see my Santa Cruz. He was a guitar player and never asked anything about woods regarding international laws. The conversation was a pure guitar talk about wood grain, cocobolo tone, strings, and so forth. However, I did have a couple times inspections that I've had to pass the guitar in its case from the X-Ray scanner.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I’m travelling from Vancouver to Brussels with a stopover in Montreal. I’m bring my $6000 Martin custom shop acoustic. I’ve never done the gate check thing before and wonder if someone can explain how the process will work step by step?

Thanks
Dave hi.

I travel internationally with an expensive instrument also. According to your flight schedule, I can go on a limb and say that you fly with Air Canada. Despite the company you fly with the reality is that your guitar might be checked in. International flights are more booked than domestic flights and space is limited. I have my SCGC for 2 years and I took her in 5-6 flights so far. However, I was flying first or business class and the guitar came with me in all flights and in one flight I bought a seat. To avoid all that, I invested in a carbon fiber case 2 weeks ago just in case I will not be lucky next time and I have to check the guitar. It's not if, it is when. Plus, I do have insurance for the guitar and the case.

My advice to you is to call the company you flying with, take the guitar at the gate (after you checked in your suitcase) and get ready to check in your guitar if space is no available. Now be very careful. If you have the Martin Custom shop case prepare your guitar inside like many said (stuff a t-shirt to stabilize the headstock, detune a step etc). If you check in your guitar at the counter with your suitcases, you will see it again in Brussels and you risking your case to be lost or be put on a different flight.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post
I had to open the case was in Amsterdam because one of the officers wanted to see my Santa Cruz. He was a guitar player and never asked anything about woods regarding international laws. The conversation was a pure guitar talk about wood grain, cocobolo tone, strings, and so forth.
Great story! Cool to hear that a security officer dug the guitar and wanted to talk instruments. Humanity is hard to suppress, even in the most official jobs...
Old 03-25-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Great story! Cool to hear that a security officer dug the guitar and wanted to talk instruments. Humanity is hard to suppress, even in the most official jobs...
Absolutely!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:49 PM

I wanted to share something I've run across while traveling with a guitar. These were not international flights, but since they use similar X-ray equipment it may also hold true outside of the US.

I use the Humidipaks in all my guitars and it seems they always attract TSA attention.

I fly Southwest Airlines which many know is one of the most guitar-friendly airlines out there. I fly a lot between Las Vegas and Reno and every time I've done so they end up hand checking it because of the Humidipaks. I don't know what it is about them but the machine operators always want the case hand inspected and I'm always asked about the paks and their purpose.

What's weird is the extra Humidipaks in my carry-on backpack never have been given a second glance. And this happens when I'm traveling with both a guitar and my backpack... very strange.

Anyway, keep in mind these things seem to look nefarious to TSA folks.

Best,
PJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion