The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-20-2018, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Economical Video Recording

I tried to use the video function built into my phone camera today, but a 3 minute song took nearly 20 megs.

What's an app that is much more economical, memory wise? I know people can't be uploading 20 meg files on YouTube every day. There has to be something better.

What am I missing?

Old 01-20-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratokatsu View Post
I tried to use the video function built into my phone camera today, but a 3 minute song took nearly 20 megs.

What's an app that is much more economical, memory wise? I know people can't be uploading 20 meg files on YouTube every day. There has to be something better.

What am I missing?
What is the file type of the video produced by the camera? It could be that you need to convert it to a more compact format. An AVI file converted to an MP4 would be greatly reduced in size
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 01-20-2018, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

It was apparently an mp4... I deleted it, but the only other video I have on my phone is an mp4, 12 seconds and 4.7 megs. Since I never did anything but change the camera to video, I can only presume the song would have also been an mp4.

I'll look and see if I can change the default and which might be the least of a memory hog.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:12 AM

20mb for 3 minutes is an ultra low bitrate.
I just recorded a 3 and a half minutes song on my smartphone.
The original file with six minutes has 900 mb.
Going down to 280mb after cutting and converting into youtube's prefered settings.
For 20mb I'm gessing you recorded in 240p or 120p. Lower than that and you'll only see pixels.
The only way to get an even lower size is by recording audio only in 128kbps or something like that.
You're going to need either a new phone or a DSLR camera. Or getting an SD card for the phone if the HD is expandable.
Most of them come with at least 8gb.
Just leave the upload window open and delete the file afterwards. There are no turnarounds... You should be able to upload a 20mb file in under 10 minutes.

Last edited by Vindellama; 01-21-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 AM

I should add that your concern about a 20 MB file may be misplaced. I took a look at the files I upload to my YouTube site and the last one was 570 MB. At 4.5 minutes, that's 126 MB per minute or just over 2 MB per second.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 01-21-2018, 08:54 AM

I've been putting up some quick videos of one pass through a tune form to help me remember tunes I like to do. I shoot them on my inexpensive digital camera in 640 by 480 size and upload them to Youtube.

The files end up being about a minute in length and around 100 mb, I think they are a bit smaller once Youtube does its own compression during uploading.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:

What am I missing?

Nothing. That's really quite small for a 3 minute video.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 01-21-2018, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
I should add that your concern about a 20 MB file may be misplaced. I took a look at the files I upload to my YouTube site and the last one was 570 MB. At 4.5 minutes, that's 126 MB per minute or just over 2 MB per second.
Let me elaborate on one thing...

I'm only questioning about YouTube as speculation, wondering how they would use such large files, so let's put that aside. I may have misdirected you in thinking I wanted to upload to YouTube.

I simply tried to send the video to a friend as an attachment on Gmail and Gmail responded saying the file was too large. That's how I realized the size.

If I record and my Android phone defaults to mp4, I wonder if it can be exported into a different file format that's more economical?

Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm only questioning about YouTube as speculation, wondering how they would use such large files, so let's put that aside. I may have misdirected you in thinking I wanted to upload to YouTube.

I simply tried to send the video to a friend as an attachment on Gmail and Gmail responded saying the file was too large. That's how I realized the size.

If I record and my Android phone defaults to mp4, I wonder if it can be exported into a different file format that's more economical?
Youtube will handle the file size just fine
E-mail as you discovered is an entirely different situation, and not suitable for most video files
If E-mailing a video is something you may be occasionally doing. then you might think about getting a free 'Drop Box" account then you can e-mail the link to the dropbox file and the recipient can download the file . so MP4 should be be fine for that.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-21-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Only if you record only the audio on a very low bitrate.
Otherwise if you want to share with friends you'll need to upload to facebook, instagram, or youtube and send them the link.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

What am I missing?
20 Meg is tiny. My music videos are typically 3-4 Gigabytes to upload. Yes, it takes a while, but video of any decent quality is large. You click upload, and go do something else while it uploads.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:

For video, basically no. Some e-mail programs cap attachments to as little as a meg or two. As realated by others, upload to a storage site and provide the recipient with a link.

NOW we understand!
Old 01-21-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Email is not a great way to transfer files over a few MBs. Most servers impose rather low limits to attachments to keep the servers running smoothly with thousands of users hitting them 24/7.

I transfer large audio & video projects with clients all the time & use services like Dropbox, Google Drive or WeTransfer.com - depending on the client.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD