The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Very cool, Steve! I have been using CL picks for a while now, too, and I am completely happy. I rarely use anything else these days. Well, my fingers for finger picking stuff, of course....

- Glenn
Old 03-21-2018, 09:37 PM

HHP - what kind of sound does the flame pick make?

I play a Taylor hog dread BTW.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell G View Post
HHP - what kind of sound does the flame pick make?

I play a Taylor hog dread BTW.
In some ways, it doesn't. It doesn't really "add" anything of its own to the sound, which is kinda the goal of a good pick. What you get is the ability to pull out whatever the guitar and strings have to offer.

Obviously, you hear the sound change as you switch from a thinner pick but that is mostly the removal of all the sonic artifacts the thin picks brought into the mix.

What I want to hear is well defined single notes, high degree of clarity, a lot of power available in chords, and control as if the pick is part of my hand. I get all those with the CLP Flame.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
In some ways, it doesn't. It doesn't really "add" anything of its own to the sound, which is kinda the goal of a good pick. What you get is the ability to pull out whatever the guitar and strings have to offer.

Obviously, you hear the sound change as you switch from a thinner pick but that is mostly the removal of all the sonic artifacts the thin picks brought into the mix.

What I want to hear is well defined single notes, high degree of clarity, a lot of power available in chords, and control as if the pick is part of my hand. I get all those with the CLP Flame.
HHP has probably done more testing of casein picks than anyone, so I often refer folks over to him.

I agree with him that generally speaking casein material is the most "neutral" material on the market. It's beauty is it's quiet, balanced, articulate but not bright, and warm. I don't know how a plastic becomes "warm," but players report this so often that it's not a fantasy.

thanks,
scott memmer
Old 06-09-2018, 04:24 AM

I recently purchased nt-1.4 and nt-1.2 picks from Charmed Life which are absolutely brilliant and transformed the sound of my Collings D1 in an amazing and positive way. They tamed the D1’s slightly bright nature and really brought out the woody tones. Beautiful. I gave one to my guitar teacher to use in her upcoming gigs and she was absolutely smitten. I wrote them a brief note of thanks and I received a long letter from Scott in return. It’s those kinds of quality products and that kind of customer service that (a) justifies the cost and (b) keeps customers like me coming back again and again.
2016 Collings D1 Sitka/Hog/Addy Bracing (“Bubba”)
Old 06-09-2018, 05:56 AM

I've recently been bitten by the 'high scale' guitar picks bug. <Looks down at feet.> I've recently gotten picks from BlueChip, Charmed Life, Read Bear, Wegen, Gravity, and V-Picks. (It's actually become a necessity to find a beveled pick. I broke the wrist on my dominant hand and I can no longer do the hand-work of beveling picks and the guitar playing was actually suggested by a wrist surgeon. Now I only need him to say that I need a half-dozen or so different guitars…)

Besides the actual products all being of the highest quality, I couldn't say which had better customer service-- they all were amazing. A few had turn around times of less than an hour. Ones that had delays in getting the materials were upfront about it before they accepted payment. When the USPS failed to deliver one brand, a replacement (at no charge) was sent ASAP. (They wouldn't even let me pay for the shipping.

Woolworth's went out of business. (If you're old enough to even remember.) While Sack's, Neiman Marcus, and others are expanding. People will pay for a quality item (that part and shipping have a significant cost to the vendor) but I believe that it is the customer service (the part that has a relatively minimal cost to the vendor) that lets a vendor flourish.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Poseur, It's been great getting to know you via email. Thanks for taking the time to post here. My favorite part of CLP is the hundreds of new friends we've met through our products. Thanks again.

Tenzin: What you say has so much truth in it. With the internet era, a lot of companies feel an online presence is all they need, that they no longer have to deal with their customers. One prominent example: Most people are not aware that Amazon has an 800 number. Why? They don't publish it anywhere on their site. They don't want you to know they have it. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on customer service. I actually think it's more important than products.

Thanks Again,
Scott Memmer
Old 06-09-2018, 09:57 PM

Here is another plug for working with Scott. Definitely a good guy to work with.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:47 PM

I have to say Scott's picks are amazing, I have 8 CL picks. I guess that shows my faith in their picks, and, as others have said, Scott's customer service is outstanding.
A fist full of picks
Two capos
And an amp I'm fairly impressed with.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:34 AM

I got mine last week and they are really nice. Love the feel and tone on my Takamines.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words, gents. I promised myself when CLP took off that I would do my best to treat people the way I myself want to be treated. Thanks for noticing.

These just came back in stock. Geez, it's like piranha feeding when we have these in (which is rare):

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 06-12-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcross View Post
I have to say Scott's picks are amazing, I have 8 CL picks. I guess that shows my faith in their picks, and, as others have said, Scott's customer service is outstanding.
Hey, Pat, how are things up there in MT? Summer showing its face yet? Wish I was up there right about now. We just sent a package to our niece, who lives in Poulson.

sm
Old 06-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

One more recommendation for CLP. I ordered a couple of picks, and one of them wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Scott immediately sent out a replacement, and included paid shipping envelope for the one I was sending back.

I call that fantastic service. I really like the picks too. I'll be getting more.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 PM

Scott, spring here has been interesting to say the least. Flooding, rain, hail, and 90 degree days. We had 90 degrees Friday, thunder storms Saturday and Sunday. new snow on the hills above town, and tonight they are calling a frost warning. Folks are covering tomato plants like crazy.

But life is good.

Pat
A fist full of picks
Two capos
And an amp I'm fairly impressed with.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:22 PM

I need to get a couple of Scotts picks ...I broke my red bear in half a couple of months ago. I sure like the looks of those picks!
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion