The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-21-2018, 04:19 PM

Default Recording quality outdoors.

I was just thinking about how I read that the problem with bad recording rooms is that the sound bounces off the walls. And in studio treated rooms there is foam on the wall so the sound can't bounce. So what would the result be of recording outside? Besides wind, birds, cars, locusts ha. Just curious if you had very still day with no cars and minimal forest noise could you make a better recording than an untreated bedroom that doesn't sound very good? Setup would be portable zoom Q8n. Rode Nt4 mic, recording solo fingerstyle guitar.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:19 PM

That's the very definition of a "free field" environment!
Old 01-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghbuilder86 View Post
I was just thinking about how I read that the problem with bad recording rooms is that the sound bounces off the walls. And in studio treated rooms there is foam on the wall so the sound can't bounce.
You're misunderstanding this a bit. Not all reflections in rooms are going to be bad. Some natural reverb is a good thing. So what folks are trying to achieve in a room is to eliminate the bad stuff (like rumbling low frequencies) and tame the good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghbuilder86 View Post
So what would the result be of recording outside? Besides wind, birds, cars, locusts ha. Just curious if you had very still day with no cars and minimal forest noise could you make a better recording than an untreated bedroom that doesn't sound very good? Setup would be portable zoom Q8n. Rode Nt4 mic, recording solo fingerstyle guitar.
There's no one answer for this as it will depend on how problematic the bedroom is, and on how talented your mix engineer is because a recording made outside is likely to need quite a bit of massaging in post.

I'd suggest that, since your rig is portable, you do a lot of experimentation and find a place in your house conducive to making a good recording.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-21-2018, 07:19 PM

Yeah I have experimented around the house. I have some ok sounding recordings. just never really satisfied. I can't understand how some pro's use similar gear and get so much better results. I guess audio editing skills add alot also. My skills are limited to reverb, high/low pass filters and basic compression.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Watch some videos on subtractive eq. That will make a huge difference for you.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-21-2018, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Leaving aside the natural noise floor and noise content of being outside (even up in the mountains 100 miles away for everything), the near total lack of reflections creates a new set of issues.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:39 PM

I've tried it. A 3mph breeze sounds like a supercell gust front through a condenser mic.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-21-2018, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Always wind noise and often various other noises. Many outdoor, in nature, guitar videos you might
have seen that have studio quality sound were dubbed.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-22-2018, 04:36 AM

It depend on your room. My recording room had terrible reverberation in it. I sorted it by buying a pack of acoustic tiles and applying them gradually until I had the desired effect. A reasonably cheap option so long as you are happy to glue the tiles to the wall.

This room is rectangular with one hard external wall and partition walls and ceiling. I put a lot of tiles up on the external wall End where I have my desk and computer. I then ran the tiles along the rest of the room but as I moved out became more conservative with them.

My thinking was I could have a reasonably tight area around the desk and gradually add in more natural sound of the room as I moved back. This I figured would give me different playing position options.

It worked!
Martin J40
Old 01-22-2018, 08:18 AM

BTW: don't buy 'acoustic foam'. At best, it will reduce some 'slapback echo' in your room, but will do nothing for the lows and mid-lows that really affect tracks in a 'home studio'.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
BTW: don't buy 'acoustic foam'. At best, it will reduce some 'slapback echo' in your room, but will do nothing for the lows and mid-lows that really affect tracks in a 'home studio'.
I was going to say the same thing foam (depending on its density factor ) will only attenuate some of the high mid and high freq. range at best.

That said, in answer to your post and as others have mentioned, outdoors has a different set of issues but if you have a good portable rig no reason not to try it.
But indoor or out good recording and mixing like playing guitar is a learned skill and takes lots and lots and lots of practice and never stops being a learning curve But is a reason just do it, and not a reason to give up.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD