The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-16-2017, 07:46 AM

Default speakers for voicelive 3

Hi,

Looking for recommendations for a setup/and or confirmation of my thoughts.

Have :
1. Guitars : t5, acoustic k12, mini strat electric
2. Voicelive 3
3. Line 6 amplifi 30

Desired outcome:
1. Small setup for my daughter and I to sing and play at home together.(live in apartment so space is a premium, and the ability to shatter glass is not needed)
2. A speaker/pa/amp that will let me use the guitar settings on the voicelive.
(mainly acoustic/folk/strumming/fingerstyle but the pedals of electric
would be fun to play with)

Experience level : playing novice for both.
budget: lets say 500 but prefer 300 but for really good could save up to 1000.

Questions:
1. The amplifi seems to do ok but the guitar is much louder than my voice.
possible solution : mixer between voicelive 3 and amplifi
which mixer? I am narrowed between behringer air, yamaha
mx10fx, and the a&H zedi. (had a xenyx did not like)

2. Sell the amplifi and get a pa or a amp. (fishman loudbox mini? acoustasonic?)
3. Sell the amplifi and save for the bose compact? (overkill for an apt but if is simplest and Best solution the money is not the primary factor)

I was also thinking of getting an amp and then something like a portable rack system. Put the amp in the bottom. the voicelive on shelf and then a mixer. So i can wheel it around.

I like the compactness of the bose compact and that it is all there and does not take up a lot of space.

So any thoughts ideas experiences with this?
Old 06-16-2017, 04:43 PM

We need some clearer information. Are you and your daughter both playing guitars of one kind or another and singing? If so, does that mean that one of you is plugging a vocal mic and a guitar into the Voicelive 3? Again, if so, what is the set up (or the intended set up) for the other? Am I right that the Amplifi 30 has no vocal mic input?

Louis
Old 06-16-2017, 05:25 PM

daughter singing. me guitar. both into voicelive 3.

amplifi has no vocal mic input. I use the headphones out from the vl3 to the amplifi right now.

Just trying to figure if there is a better setup overall even if it means back to scratch.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:37 PM

Yamaha DBR 10 has two channels: one for the effects out from the voicelive3 guitar out and one for the voicelive3 vocal out. I'd run the thru (dry) guitar signal to the amplifier still and dial in the volume on that.

The DBR10 gets excellent reviews and has signal processing that will pre-eq the sound. Throw it up on a speaker stand and you'll be in business.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Yamaha DBR 10 has two channels: one for the effects out from the voicelive3 guitar out and one for the voicelive3 vocal out. I'd run the thru (dry) guitar signal to the amplifier still and dial in the volume on that.

The DBR10 gets excellent reviews and has signal processing that will pre-eq the sound. Throw it up on a speaker stand and you'll be in business.
thank you very much!
Old 06-16-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffyw794 View Post
daughter singing. me guitar. both into voicelive 3.

amplifi has no vocal mic input. I use the headphones out from the vl3 to the amplifi right now.

Just trying to figure if there is a better setup overall even if it means back to scratch.
There are a few different ways to do this. Right now, you should be able to manipulate the control menus on the VL3 to get a better balanced mix of guitar and vocal to send to the Line 6 amp. There should be a way to manipulate the mix that goes out of the headphone out.

If you want a more robust sound and something easier to control, you can put the VL3 in "dual mono" mode and send your vocal signal and guitar signal separately from the main XLR outputs to either a small mixer like the ZEDi and from there to a small powered speaker or directly to the speaker if has two inputs (best if they also have separate level controls). A speaker like this, for example, should sound pretty great and won't break the bank.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DBR10

Or simplest of all: keep using the Amplifi 30 for your guitar--using the VL3 or the Amplifi's own effects, whichever you like best--and get your daughter a small amp to sing through. A Loudbox Mini should be fine for apartment jams! In fact, if you like the sound of that better than the Amplifi 30, you could both just plug into the Mini.

Louis
Old 06-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post

In a similar situation but using a voice live play and a zoom 3 taking two cables from my humbucker and piezo equipped Hollowbody. Today after much research and delving through tons of comments on this forum and others, I bought a Yamaha DB10, inexpensive, compact, light and sounds amazing. I can't say it's better than other options, just say for me it's ideal.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:34 AM

thanks. I appreciate it
Old 06-19-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
There are a few different ways to do this. Right now, you should be able to manipulate the control menus on the VL3 to get a better balanced mix of guitar and vocal to send to the Line 6 amp. There should be a way to manipulate the mix that goes out of the headphone out.

If you want a more robust sound and something easier to control, you can put the VL3 in "dual mono" mode and send your vocal signal and guitar signal separately from the main XLR outputs to either a small mixer like the ZEDi and from there to a small powered speaker or directly to the speaker if has two inputs (best if they also have separate level controls). A speaker like this, for example, should sound pretty great and won't break the bank.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DBR10

Or simplest of all: keep using the Amplifi 30 for your guitar--using the VL3 or the Amplifi's own effects, whichever you like best--and get your daughter a small amp to sing through. A Loudbox Mini should be fine for apartment jams! In fact, if you like the sound of that better than the Amplifi 30, you could both just plug into the Mini.

Louis
I went to gc over the weekend to look at the loudbox mini and I have kind of gotten the idea in my head to get a bose l1 and use a zed10fx to run everything into it.

THe tech at gc said the bose will be a much better sound than the loudbox mini and would be good for both of us to use as well as hook up whatever other instrument i get her.

Do any of you have any experience with the bose L1 in that the compact is not that much cheaper than a used L1 1s. mid tier system.

This would also give me flexibility in the future in case we want to go out.

My only concern is what they would sound like at low levels. For an apartment I have been told the compact will be fine but is the L1 1s( the mid level one) too much and would not be reasonable levels for an apartment? ( i know it is designed for 300 people)
Old 06-19-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffyw794 View Post
I went to gc over the weekend to look at the loudbox mini and I have kind of gotten the idea in my head to get a bose l1 and use a zed10fx to run everything into it.

THe tech at gc said the bose will be a much better sound than the loudbox mini and would be good for both of us to use as well as hook up whatever other instrument i get her.

Do any of you have any experience with the bose L1 in that the compact is not that much cheaper than a used L1 1s. mid tier system.

This would also give me flexibility in the future in case we want to go out.

My only concern is what they would sound like at low levels. For an apartment I have been told the compact will be fine but is the L1 1s( the mid level one) too much and would not be reasonable levels for an apartment? ( i know it is designed for 300 people)
The Bose 1s will be fine at lower volumes - Bose always massively overstate the number of people their kit is designed for, so don't get overawed by the 300 number....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification