The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-09-2017, 05:17 PM

Default What is UP with The Venue DI Tuner??

Out of town for a gig. I usually bring a backup tuner but I flew so I really traveled light. Anyway, the tuner on the Venue DI is like THE WORST!!

It was working then I attempted to tune down a 1/2 step and it's like I broke it!

This is what happens when I kick on the tuner.
Either....
1) nothing (the guitar mutes but no lights on the dial light up)
2) the lights on the dial will light up and flash on and off but the lights on the dial won't move when the pitch of the string changes.
3) every once in a while like every 10th time I try it will work for about 3 seconds then default back to the flashing scenario (description in #2). I will be replacing the unit with another at guitar center. Too bad I am out of town on a gig right now without a tuner!

This DI is 2 days old and running on brand new batteries.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:21 AM

Yeah, that sounds like a bad unit. While I don't think the tuner is the most accurate out there, mine has always at least worked. I've had it for quite a while also.

If you have a cell phone with you, there are free apps that should get you through until you get it swapped out.

Rob
Old 06-10-2017, 08:10 AM

That's been a pretty well known knock on the Venue. The tuner is just not reliable. I have found the same issue with the Fishman spectrum di, although it's a bit better. the Venue tuner will sometimes just lock up or it won't recognize when a string is struck. I have heard that if you power down and start up it wil be fixed but obviously it's happening for you still. You could contact Lr Baggs just to be sure though.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:29 AM

Yep, I've owned both, the Venue DI and the Aura Spectrum DI. I still regularly use the Aura (sold the Venue), but with both I turned to an extra tuner pedal for consistency and stability. The Aura's tuner is even worse than the Venue's, which was just a bit flaky at times.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 06-10-2017, 08:35 AM

There is an automatic battery save feature that kicks in when it's been plugged in and muted for a time. That may be part of your experience. The other part your describing could be caused by your gain settings. Now, even after all that, I have found that the tuner can be jumpy, not as accurate as others and it sometimes has a hard time locking onto low E.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 06-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villalobos View Post
…Anyway, the tuner on the Venue DI is like THE WORST!!
Hi V
If you had posted in the forum about the Venue and asked what downsides it has, Tuner is it.

Yup, the tuner sucks…

Doesn't bother me, because I refuse to use FLOOR tuners. The audience is 'out-there' not 'down-here-by-my-foot'.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 06-11-2017 at 07:42 PM. Reason: I checked back into this thread and saw the error of my ways…
Old 06-10-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Doesn't bother me, because I refuse to use tuners. The audience is 'out-there' not 'down-here-by-my-foot'.

Huh?

(here are 6 more characters.)
Old 06-10-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Huh?

Probably referring to the fact that he uses clip on tuners so that he can still look out at the audience instead of looking down. I personally like both and have seen numerous professional artists using foot pedal tuners. Nothing wrong with it.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
Yep, I've owned both, the Venue DI and the Aura Spectrum DI. I still regularly use the Aura (sold the Venue), but with both I turned to an extra tuner pedal for consistency and stability. The Aura's tuner is even worse than the Venue's, which was just a bit flaky at times.
Hmm not my experience at all. I would never say that the Aura tuner is excellent but it's more consistent than the Venue.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Hmm not my experience at all. I would never say that the Aura tuner is excellent but it's more consistent than the Venue.
Yep, I've owned two Auras and they both were terrible at 'locking in' while tuning.They are also (in my opinion) difficult to see when playing outdoors. I love the Aura tone, so I still use one, but with an added Boss pedal tuner.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 06-11-2017, 12:43 PM

I've never had a built-in tuner that I liked (I usually go thru 4 different turnings at my gigs). I've used the Venue DI and I currently use the Fishman Platinum Pro. I've always preferred a dedicated tuner---more accurate and locks onto the note way faster. I use (and love) the TC Polytune mini.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 06-11-2017, 02:35 PM

I find the tuner on my Venue works well 80 or 90 per cent of the time and seems to me to be fairly accurate. But there are those annoying times when it just doesn't respond at all.

I always have a clip-on snark tuner as well, on the back of the headstock so it is not so obtrusive, and work between them.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:00 PM

TC-Helicon's tuner works perfectly.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Huh?

Ha

Should read "I refuse to use FLOOR tuners…"

Sorry to sow confusion into the thread…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-11-2017, 09:13 PM

I was doing an in-the-round show with 2 other performers a couple of months ago and my Venue's tuner would not work for me but would react to the person next to me. I think it was just messing with me. I had my trusty tuning fork thankfully.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
venue