The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-04-2017, 11:38 AM

Default How does Laurence Juber do this with a Headway?

He says he has a Dtar wavelength pickup and omni audix custom mic with phantom power running on a stereo cable into channel 2 of an EDB-1. The unit splits the signal from pickup and mic and assigns one to ch 1 and the other to ch 2 so he can blend both sources.

I thought the headway was not supposed to manage an onboard dual source in this way. I've got one, so keen to learn how you make this work.

Here's the clip: shows this early on.

https://youtu.be/RKxSHr6vrYo
Old 06-04-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptonguitar View Post
He says he has a Dtar wavelength pickup and omni audix custom mic with phantom power running on a stereo cable into channel 2 of an EDB-1. The unit splits the signal from pickup and mic and assigns one to ch 1 and the other to ch 2 so he can blend both sources.

I thought the headway was not supposed to manage an onboard dual source in this way. I've got one, so keen to learn how you make this work.

Here's the clip: shows this early on.

https://youtu.be/RKxSHr6vrYo
I am quite sure that the wavelength version he mentioned will be the multi-source, which have a condenser mic for a soundhole mount. The regular (UST only version) will also accept a second but I don't think that will provide power. The power should come from the internal preamp, but not the headway
Old 06-04-2017, 12:08 PM

or maybe the ust version does since they look exactly the same
Old 06-04-2017, 12:15 PM

He doesn't mention an onboard preamp. But he says the mic has phantom power from two AA batteries onboard. Perhaps the better question for me to have asked is what does the headway need in order to split the dual source signals from the stereo cable across its two channels?

With Baggs anthem and fishman rare earth blend with their on board preamps and onboard blending, there appears no way to get the headway to separate them.

In any case I had understood, obviously wrongly, that what Juber has done could not be done however you set things up.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
He doesn't mention an onboard preamp. But he says the mic has phantom power from two AA batteries onboard. Perhaps the better question for me to have asked is what does the headway need in order to split the dual source signals from the stereo cable across its two channels?

With Baggs anthem and fishman rare earth blend with their on board preamps and onboard blending, there appears no way to get the headway to separate them.

In any case I had understood, obviously wrongly, that what Juber has done could not be done however you set things up.
the wavelength is able to be configured in mono or stereo mode with a little bit of modification in the endpin preamp. So yes, it will work
Stereo output to stereo cable to stereo input

https://guildguitars.com/wp-content/...lti_Source.pdf
Old 06-04-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:

If you plug in a true stereo pickup system into Ch 2, the tip signal will be assigned to Ch 2 and the Ring signal to Ch 1.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:54 PM

What do you mean by a true stereo pickup system?
Old 06-04-2017, 08:20 PM

It's LJ man! It's in his fingers!
Old 06-05-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
What do you mean by a true stereo pickup system?
A pickup system with 1 pickup on the tip terminal, and the 2nd pickup/mic on the ring terminal.

You talk about using an LR Baggs Anthem, which is a dual source system, yes, bus it sums the pickup and mic to a mono output, therefore it is not in stereo.

You'd have to add a 3rd pickup to the ring terminal to make it a stereo system.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:56 AM

Thanks. Just read that you can rewire the fishman rare earth blend for stereo like this. Wonder if you can split the Anthem like this.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:56 AM

Stereo output from a guitar end jack is way easy, as virtually all jacks these days are TRS. The challenge comes when one wants to EQ, power, or (sometimes) balance dual source systems within a single preamp module. Essentially, one needs two separate circuits for truly independent control.

In most cases, even 'high end' dual channel preamps for guitars treat incoming signals as 'either/or' (where EQ and such can be applied to either channel, but not both) or 'summed' (where the separate signals are treated monaurally within the unit). It is often possible to balance two sources, but not to EQ them separately. Also, once summed for treatment, output will be mono. If a preamp unit has phantom power available, it is almost invariably applicable to either or both channels. There may be exceptions, but they are few.

Nice thing is, a well installed and good quality microphone usually needs very little in the way of EQ, except when stage volumes get into the higher ranges.

I use a Headway EBD-II for the K&K side of my rig and an EBD-I on the DPA4099 channel. This gives me infinite flexibility and control when I 'go all out' and want control over every creak and squeak of my guitar. In just a few seconds, however, I can lift either one off of the pedal board and use it on its own, sacrificing independent EQ and stereo output to the PA for the sake of portability and ease.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Just read that you can rewire the fishman rare earth blend for stereo like this. Wonder if you can split the Anthem like this.
You can't.

The Anthem system is designed for both the undersaddle and tru-mic to be part of the same signal.

The undersaddle handles low frequencies, and the mic the high.

If you did split the signal, all you'd have is two heavily equalised signals, both sounding **** on their own, that would need blended with each other anyway.

LR Baggs took the guess work out of eqing them separately and designed it as a stand alone mono system.

IMO if you want a stereo system, buy a stereo system. Dismantling the systems you have to work this way is counter productive.

Besides, how will you EQ the second signal on the Headway, since it only has 1 set of EQ controls?

If you are going to send both signals to the Headway, use the same EQ on both signals, and send them to the amp/PA as a mono signal anyway then I don't really even get why running them in stereo would even make a difference.

Stereo systems are more appropriate for running separate signal paths, or to two different amps/inputs.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:47 AM

Perhaps, the best reason to output in stereo in a pickup/mic situation is to get maximum gain before feedback on the monitor side, while sending a greater share of the microphone to the house side. Again, this is most useful when volume levels are high.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadmania View Post
Perhaps, the best reason to output in stereo in a pickup/mic situation is to get maximum gain before feedback on the monitor side, while sending a greater share of the microphone to the house side. Again, this is most useful when volume levels are high.
Are you replying to me?

Because I was addressing Hampton.

I get what you are saying, and it sounds like you are running a legit stereo rig.

OP is talking about taking 2 signals, as stereo outs from the guitar, and blending them with the EDB-1, before sending it to the desk in mono. That would mean there is no way to decide how much mic vs piezo the monitors get as opposed to the front of house.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Soul View Post
You can't.

The Anthem system is designed for both the undersaddle and tru-mic to be part of the same signal.

The undersaddle handles low frequencies, and the mic the high.

If you did split the signal, all you'd have is two heavily equalised signals, both sounding **** on their own, that would need blended with each other anyway.

LR Baggs took the guess work out of eqing them separately and designed it as a stand alone mono system.

IMO if you want a stereo system, buy a stereo system. Dismantling the systems you have to work this way is counter productive.

Besides, how will you EQ the second signal on the Headway, since it only has 1 set of EQ controls?

If you are going to send both signals to the Headway, use the same EQ on both signals, and send them to the amp/PA as a mono signal anyway then I don't really even get why running them in stereo would even make a difference.

Stereo systems are more appropriate for running separate signal paths, or to two different amps/inputs.
Thankyou again Neon. Starting to get the hang of this mostly thanks to you. One has to conceptualise it correctly to understand it properly. Valuable and I appreciate it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification