The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Guest 33123

Default Baggs Anthem at stage volume

Hi guys,

does the full Anthem have any feedback issues at stage volume? 160 watt amp on 10 at the worst.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:08 AM

Yes. No. Possibly..... The venue, equipment set up, sound board settings.... all effect potential feedback. More important is the settings on the board. I've seen people's board settings so off, it didn't matter what the gain/volume setting on the pickup was. I start with everything set to U or neutral and work up from there. I've not seen that pickup more prone to feedback than anything else.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 06-03-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:11 PM
Guest 33123

Thank you Josh. It's true there are many factors​ (multiple gain and volume settings in the chain).
Old 06-03-2017, 12:24 PM

In my experience, you will have to really screw around with the eq or crank the monitors in an unpleasing way to get feedback from the Anthem. I have never had feedback with it and my monitors are turned up enough to compete with a drummer. I have actually experienced more feedback with a Matrix/Aura set up and there's no internal mic.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Guest 33123

Thank you for the feedback. I'm seriously considering​ this pickup as a Christmas present this year. Doug Young's demo sounds great. Now to decide between the full system or the SL. What does the mic trim control do on the SL?

Last edited by Guest 33123; 06-03-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I'm seriously considering​ this pickup as a Christmas present this year. Doug Young's demo sounds great. Now to decide between the full system or the SL. What does the mic trim control do on the SL?
The mic trim controls the gain on the mic so that the mic level can be balanced with the UST level to the users taste. Keep in mind that with the Anthem SL the UST contributes all the signal from about 250Hz on down, while the mic contributes all the signal from about 250Hz on up. Granted, both the mic and the UST are probably contributing some signal in the vicinity of 250Hz. (I suspect that's one reason why my own Anthem SL rig is especially strong in the low mids. I have no problem EQing it down, however.)

In any event, the UST preamp has a fixed gain, but the level of the output will vary somewhat with the mechanics of the installation. Mechanical factors like the amount of saddle extending above the bridge, and the angle of the strings across the saddle, will have some influence on the strength of the signal being fed to the UST preamp. For that reason, the mic gain must be somewhat adjustable to balance with the UST level. It must also be adjustable to account for the factor of the user's taste in tone.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:09 PM
Guest 33123

Thank you for that excellent explanation!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification