The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-27-2017, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend

Currently auditioning this pick. No one talks about it but it seems very natural and non invasive.

Is anyone using it?
Old 05-27-2017, 03:07 PM

I heard someone use it with his twelve string about six months ago. It sounded rather good to me, and this was in a setting where the listening conditions were very good.

I should also mention that I heard other players compliment the Rare Earth Blend user on his sound that night.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

I'm at a gig right now. It's very impressive. I'll talk about it more later. If you have it please let me know!
Old 05-28-2017, 06:50 AM

We had a forum member named Joseph Hanna (if memory serves) who used the Rare Earth Blend for gigging before switching over to the Anthem SL.

His main job was making commercials with music, so he's an excellent musician and his comments seemed very well-informed (both here and previously on the DTAR forum). If he was using the Rare Earth Blend, I suspect the system has a lot going for it.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

I've used the Rare Earth Blend for periods of time now and then in a few different guitars. I do like the pickup a lot.

The downside for me is that I can't make an onboard volume adjustment to go from strumming with a flat pick to bare fingers. It would be really neat if they made a little sound hole volume wheel to go with it as an optional add on.

And I guess while I'm thinking of things that would make this pickup really, really nice would be incorporating adjustable pole pieces somehow.

In some guitars, the string balance from the mag has been just right, in others, given the option, I would do some fine tuning.

All in all, it's a great pickup.

Matt
Old 05-31-2017, 01:02 AM

I have 2, the original Mike Vanden Mimesis Blend and a subsequent Fishman Rare Earth Blend (licensed from Vanden). I find them very easy to use, great natural sound and feedback resistant. It is difficult to anticipate when a battery change is required. I was caught out once and had to make do with a vocal mic pointed at the guitar.

If you prefer more flexibility like adjustable pole pieces, Mike Vanden has a new system called the Kudos Blend which also has other functions for active or passive mag and on/off switch for the mic. Even better is the ability to opt for internal mic or connectivity to DPA 4099G / DPA 4061 mics.

Check it out:

http://www.vanden.co.uk/kudos.htm

Olson SJ CED/IRW, Charis SJ SITKA/MAP, Charis SJ ENG/IRW, Charis GC Thinbody SITKA/IRW, Lowden O25c, Larrivee C19, Larrivee OM-03R, Voyage Air VA-OM 04
Old 05-31-2017, 11:12 AM

I think the REB sounds great. It does seem to be more sensitive to string gauge choice than an UST. I tend to run pretty light strings on my stage guitar and find without the heavier strings the guitar sounds pretty anemic. The Mike Vanden looks cool. I didn't know that Fishman licensed it. Does Duncan as well?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification