The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-26-2017, 03:11 PM
Guest 928

Default can't find...

There was a reference here to a rather extensive video tour of Alistair's veneers that I would like to review, but can't find. I would appreciate a point to the thread.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:42 PM

Default Cant find

Look at posts around date 4-08

There is a link to his facebook site
Old 04-26-2017, 04:36 PM

Evan, is this is the post you're looking for?:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=465959
Old 04-26-2017, 06:10 PM
Guest 928

ResIpsa;

Close, but no banana. This one is a more recent one, I think, and one that requires some Facebook mingling (which I don't do, because I am a dinosaur). There was really neat reference to a site where Alistair took us through his veneer collection. We got to look see a bit of his space and got to look out his window. It was a low production, but highly beautiful exploration of wood veneers.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:17 PM

Is this the one you were looking for Evan?

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=465959
Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Evan, I suspect that the video you may be thinking of was a while back, kind of a tour of the Donegal factory hosted by Alistair after Emerald secured the ability to stay there (kickstarter sort of campaign). I seem to recall him pulling out veneers from the pigeon holes of the storage cabinet. If it's not that one, I don't know which one you mean. I've tried to find the video, but no luck.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:25 PM

There's an echo in here.

I think I found it, perhaps. Around December 15, 2016. 20 min video, includes the look outside, and lots of sheets of veneer. It's on Facebook though. You can watch it without doing the FB thing - just scroll down the posts until you hit that date.

FWIW, here's the FB page to scroll on down on:

https://m.facebook.com/EmeraldGuitarCompany/

Or try this, might be the direct link to video itself without scrolling:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...46&__tn__=%2As
Old 04-27-2017, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
There was a reference here to a rather extensive video tour of Alistair's veneers that I would like to review, but can't find. I would appreciate a point to the thread.
Dear Evan,

I think this is the recent AGF thread you were looking for. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=465959

If you follow the link that Pandaroo shared, it will take you to the Emerald Guitars Facebook page - Scroll down a few posts to April 7 where you will find a Facebook Live Video Alistair made unveiling our latest veneer stock arrival.

Alistair thought it would be a fun way to show people some of the beautiful veneers we now currently have. I don't believe you need to be signed up with Facebook to be able to watch it. I hope you enjoy it and thank you for your interest.

Kind Regards,

Sean
Old 04-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Guest 928

I think I'm going to print "stupid" across my forehead. I've checked all the sources listed and, so far, every one goes through Facebook and seems to feature instruments rather than the tour I saw on this forum. The tour was relatively recent and involved a multitude of very unusual and marvelous veneers.

I have the hots for a woody electric, thin-bodied X7, nylon string, 1 7/8" nut, with peg-head tuners. I can narrow the wood choice by eliminating quilted and blond colored woods and then Alistair can show me what's available.

Think I'll head over to the emerald site and check the price for a custom Emerald electric.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I think I'm going to print "stupid" across my forehead. I've checked all the sources listed and, so far, every one goes through Facebook and seems to feature instruments rather than the tour I saw on this forum. The tour was relatively recent and involved a multitude of very unusual and marvelous veneers.

I have the hots for a woody electric, thin-bodied X7, nylon string, 1 7/8" nut, with peg-head tuners. I can narrow the wood choice by eliminating quilted and blond colored woods and then Alistair can show me what's available.

Think I'll head over to the emerald site and check the price for a custom Emerald electric.
Haha, Evan is smitten. Go for it! We'll all want to enjoy your ride!
Old 04-27-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:

See if this link will work directly:

https://scontent-otp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b8&oe=59027E28
Old 04-27-2017, 03:12 PM
Guest 928

AC;

The link works directly. It's not the video I had seen, but it is a mind blower. The one I had seen shows Alistair pulling veneers out of different drawers. I'm on the run at the moment and haven't been through the whole video you bring here--I'm going to wait until I have more time to savor those incredible veneers.

If you take two different landrace genetic strains and mix them you get a heterotic effect--a strain that is better than either of the original strains. In a sense, Alistair has created a heterotic guitar with the best of wood and carbon fiber. Just marvelous.

Thank you for feeding me some new information.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:24 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
AC;

The link works directly. It's not the video I had seen, but it is a mind blower. The one I had seen shows Alistair pulling veneers out of different drawers. I'm on the run at the moment and haven't been through the whole video you bring here--I'm going to wait until I have more time to savor those incredible veneers.

If you take two different landrace genetic strains and mix them you get a heterotic effect--a strain that is better than either of the original strains. In a sense, Alistair has created a heterotic guitar with the best of wood and carbon fiber. Just marvelous.

Thank you for feeding me some new information.
Evan, the following link that Res Ipsa posted above leads directly to the video I think you want to see. I'm not a Facebook subscriber either, yet I'm able to easily view the video.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...46&__tn__=%2As
Old 04-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Guest 928

Tom;

I pushed every available option and they all require that I log into Facebook. That's OK, the video revealed by AC gets me started on looking at available veneer options. I also notice that Alistair's site indicates that veneer options will soon be part of the site. I am in contact with Alistair and I'm sure we'll work out the veneer best for me.

Also, in a change of direction, I am looking for advice regarding the pickup for a nylon string electric guitar. All suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:40 PM

Smile

Good move on Emerald's part to make the veneer options part of their website. Looking forward to seeing that, and of course all the beautiful woods. Huzzah.

Social media and FB are good for market relations, but have their limitations in terms of making sales.

On to new directions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber